Hello friends! I hope your Christmas/Hanukkah/overall holiday season has been ever so sweet.
Before we look back at the best and most delicious of 2016, look around. Things are a bit different around here, if you haven’t noticed (and if you’re reading this in an email or reader, be sure to click through to see the spiffy new digs). Indeed, Love & Olive Oil got a little face lift over the holiday weekend. Actually, make that a facelift, tummy tuck, and, if I’m being honest, a boob job too (lol). In fact, I think this is the biggest redesign in the nearly 10-year history of the blog. I shared a few screenshots of the earlier iterations of the design a few years back, and, can I just say, we’ve come a long way. The lime green was nice while it lasted, but let’s just say I’ve moved on to bluer things.
This redesign has been a long time coming. What do they say about cobbler’s children and shoes? Well, the same is true of web designers and their websites. Clients always come first, and, while I am incredibly thankful to have a full docket of amazing design clients, my own personal projects kept getting pushed farther and farther back. Would you believe I’ve been working on this for over 18 months? Which is sort of ridiculous, but, determined to get this thing finished before 2017, I finally hunkered down and donated some of my self-imposed vacation time to finish it once and for all.
I hope you find this new easier on the eyes, and easier to browse and find your favorite recipes (new and old).
As with any major change like this, there are bound to be bugs, so please let me know if you see anything wonky, will you? Thanks. :)
Anyway, moving forward (and looking back)…
This time each year I like to look back and reflect on all the delicious things that we’ve put into our mouths (and published on the blog) this year. This annual look-back is something I’ve done for the past 7 years (check out the favorites from 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010 and 2009) and it’s always fun to see just how far we’ve come (and how our tastes have changed).
2016 by the numbers:
- Posts published: 87
- Comments received: 1,769
- Most commented: Master Bedroom Reveal + Rejuvenation Giveaway (265 comments)
- Most commented that’s not a giveaway: Final Reveal: Kitchen Renovation Before & After (57 comments)
- Most shared: Orange Blossom Almond Cream Tart (8,506 shares)
- Most pinned: Giant Swiss Cake Roll (4.9k repins)
- Most liked: Salted Chocolate Dulce de Leche Tart (1,470 likes) – See the other photos that made my Instagram top 9 here.
- Instagram photos published: 200 (follow me!)
- Miles moved: .05 (or about 100 yards). We didn’t move far, but that didn’t make it any easier!
- Kitchens renovated: 1 (and that’s enough for me to never want to do it again, lol)
- Books read: 68 (I’ll do another good reads post soon!)
- Jars of jam canned: I seriously lost count. Guess that’s what happens when you put out a canning ebook series.
It’s been a year, that’s for sure!
Anyway, without further ado, I bring you the best posts, recipes, and photos of 2016 (be sure to click through to see all of them, including your favorites, my favorites, and some pretty tasty eye candy!)
These were the most popular posts published in 2016, based on total pageviews. I have to say, this is the first year that the savory recipes have outnumbered the sweets, with the primary theme being skillets and bowls, apparently.
1. Skillet Huevos Rancheros / 2. Orange Marmalade Skillet Roasted Chicken Breasts / 3. Sesame Sriracha Buddha Bowls / 4. Soy Sauce Sweet Potato Noodles / 5. Spring Onion & Zucchini Rigatoni / 6. Quick Beef Pho / 7. Thai Red Curry Risotto / 8. Spicy Veggie Sushi Bowls / 9. Salted Chocolate & Dulce de Leche Tart
Your sweet tooth may have abated this year, but mine sure hasn’t!
1. My Favorite German Pancakes / 2. Fig Sticky Buns with Caramel Glaze / 3. Buttermilk Chocolate Chip Passionfruit Layer Cake / 4. Fudge Brownie Mudslide Ice Cream Cake / 5. Marzipan Stuffed Almond Sugar Cookies / 6. Bourbon Pecan Fudge Brownies / 7. Let There Be Cake / 8. Giant Swiss Cake Roll / 9. Lychee Ceviche
My favorite images of the year, which, are also apparently the most colorful.
1. Scratch-Made Moscow Mules / 2. Fig & Vanilla Jam / 3. Blackberry Buttermilk Ice Cream Sandwiches / 4. Homemade Blueberry Soda Syrup / 5. Bourbon Peach Lemonade Punch / 6. Ginger Plum Granita / 7. Mini Mixed Berry Pot Pies / 8. Salted Vanilla Hot Chocolate / 9. Prickly Lady Cocktail
This year may have been a bit slower post-wise (that’s what undergoing a kitchen/home renovation will do), but what I lacked in quantity I made up for in quality (I think, at least!) I’ve got a ton of new recipe ideas floating around that cluttered head of mine, and can’t wait to see what comes out of it. :) Here’s to a new year, with plenty of delicious things in store!