Moroccan Carrot and Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Green Olive Tapenade

Moroccan Carrot and Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Green Olive Tapenade

As unique a combination of ingredients as I’ve ever seen put into a sandwich. But you know what? It works.

Just a word of warning – go EASY on the olive tapenade. A thin thin layer on one slice of the bread is all you need. We made the unfortunate mistake of piling on far too much of the tapenade. One bite and both of us could barely stand how salty it was. Like, I’d rather be drinking a glass of sea water salty.

But even underneath all that salt, we saw the potential. And lucky for us this recipe makes way more than two sandwiches.

Take 2.

With a much higher proportion of goat cheese and carrots to tapenade, you have yourself a fabulous sandwich. A little sweet, a little salty, and much more hearty and satisfying than you’d think. We had enough carrots that I ate these for three meals straight. And thoroughly enjoyed it. Not that I’m biased towards anything smothered in goat cheese, because I’m not. Really.

Moroccan Carrot and Goat Cheese Sandwiches with Green Olive Tapenade

Makes 6 sandwiches. Recipe from Epicurious.

For carrots
2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons sweet paprika
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 lb medium carrots (8)

For tapenade
1 1/4 cups green olives (6 to 7 oz) such as Cerignola or picholine, pitted
3 tablespoons drained bottled capers, rinsed
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 flat anchovy fillet, chopped
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh lemon zest
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup olive oil

For sandwiches
12 slices good-quality pumpernickel sandwich bread
6 oz soft mild goat cheese (3/4 cup) at room temperature

Prepare carrots:
Whisk together sugar, lemon juice, spices, salt, and oil in a large bowl until sugar is dissolved.

Halve carrots crosswise on a long diagonal, then, starting from diagonal ends, cut into 1/16-inch-thick slices using slicer. Cook carrots in a 4- to 5-quart pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 45 seconds. Drain well in a colander and immediately toss with dressing. Cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally, then marinate, covered and chilled, at least 4 hours.

Make tapenade and assemble sandwiches:
Pulse olives with capers, parsley, anchovy, zest, lemon juice, and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped, then scrape down side of bowl with a rubber spatula. Pulsing motor, add oil in a slow stream and continue to pulse until mixture is finely chopped (do not pulse to a paste).

Spread tapenade on 6 slices of bread and goat cheese on remaining 6 slices, then make sandwiches with carrots.

Do ahead: Carrots can marinate up to 2 days. Tapenade can be made 1 week ahead and chilled, covered.

Posted On February 3, 2010 at 11:58 pm

I just started reading you blog and… awesome cupcakes followed by this wich creation…LOVE! I am a vegetarian and am CONSTANTLY looking for fresh sandwich ideas, not to mention I think I just want to keep the carrots handy as a snack in their own right. Adding you to my faves, thanks for all the great ideas!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 6:52 am

I agree with Evie – It’s hard to come by tasty vegetarian sandwiches that do not involve hummus. And I always seem to have carrots on hand. Looks delicious and bright!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 9:08 am

Wow, this sounds delicious and I especially love that the carrots and tapenade can be made ahead of time – perhaps on a Sunday for a Monday sandwich! Thanks for sharing!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 9:09 am

Looks like a killer, never seen before combo. I must make these sammies!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 9:09 am

This looks so delicious – and I don’t even like veggies. I love that you have goat cheese on it – that I DO love, and am usually not a fan of hummus!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 10:07 am

Carrots in a sandwich? Fascinating!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 12:15 pm

This sandwich sounds delicious. I read your post while I was eating a less than stellar turkey sandwich at my desk at work and wished I could reach into the screen and eat yours instead!

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Wow, you take the cake for spinning sandwiches on their ear! Forget the old “ham and swiss on rye.” GO CARROTS, GOAT CHEESE AND GREEN OLIVE TAPENADE!

Elle
    Posted On February 4, 2010 at 9:58 pm

the sandwich looks and reads delicious and if we don’t get another snow storm in Raleigh this weekend, I’ll be out and about for provisions – however, I have to say that is the strangest looking pumpernickel bread I have ever seen and I’ve been eating that since childhood.

Posted On February 4, 2010 at 11:27 pm

Elle – that’s because it isn’t pumpernickel. :) We had a partial loaf of Ciabatta bread leftover from a previous meal, so we used that instead. Definitely on my agenda to buy (or try to make!) some pumpernickel to try these again. :)

Posted On February 5, 2010 at 11:01 am

Elle,

I’m in Raleigh too! I think it’s just supposed to be rain, or at least I hope, I have NOTHING in my pantry right now!

-Evie

Posted On February 5, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Interesting combination. What was your inspiration?

Posted On February 5, 2010 at 2:38 pm

The recipe! (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Moroccan-Carrot-and-Goat-Cheese-Sandwiches-with-Green-Olive-Tapenade-106890). :) Basically, I see the word goat cheese and I’m all for giving it a go. :)

Posted On February 6, 2010 at 7:04 am

These little sandwiches are amazing! The combination of flavors is unique. The carrots are really the secret ingredient. For delicious and sophisticated party food cut them into quarters and remove the crusts. They make a great lunch that any 4 year-old loves.

Ali Cakes
    Posted On February 6, 2010 at 9:42 am

I am not a vegetarian but love little bites like this. Thanks for sharing.

Posted On February 7, 2010 at 4:30 pm

Sounds wonderful. I’ve had raw grated carrot on a salad sandwich before but this sounds so much better.

Posted On February 8, 2010 at 9:05 pm

I’ve made that exact sandwich! I made it on a full ciabtta loaf which I then sliced into individual portions for a party. People loved it and kept talking about how different it was. Great choice!

Sarah
    Posted On February 17, 2010 at 10:54 am

This was by far the BEST sandwich I’ve had in ages. Thank you so much for the recipe!

Posted On March 4, 2010 at 3:27 pm

I saved this to my favorites on tastespotting. And everytime I see it I stop and stare at it for a minute. Gosh, it just looks amazing. I think I am going to finally make it this weekend. I have some black olives so I hope those work on it?!?

Posted On March 8, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Thanks for this post! This has become one of my new faves! Just letting you know I posted about it on my blog and linked to you! Thanks again!

Carli
    Velveeta Ain’t Food

Posted On November 17, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I savour, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be looking for.
    You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man.
    Have a nice day. Bye