Pizza Bianca with Goat Cheese and Greens

Pizza Bianca with Goat Cheese and Greens

My favorite pizza. Ever. The unique combination of ingredients make this sauce-less pizza one to remember. It was one of the first things we made as soon as the swiss chard started to show up in our CSA. I know Taylor would much rather have manly pizzas with meat and red-sauce, but this pizza is just too good to pass up. Plus, I’m the one making the grocery list. So there.

This isn’t a new recipe; in fact, this recipe is the original inspiration for our go-to pizza crust. I was actually quite surprised when I went to go look up the recipe in our archives only to discover it wasn’t there. Yes, folks, this is an honest to goodness oldie from the pre-blog days.

Swiss Chard

We supplemented our CSA Swiss Chard with a meager handful of the rainbow chard from our container garden. I think the chard prefers cooler temperatures, as it hadn’t grown much at all the past few (very hot) weeks. So we stopped waiting and just ate it. I do wish the chard was actually rainbow like the seed pack promised, instead of all mono-tone lime green. I have a feeling that a single chard seed doesn’t produce multi colors, but rather each seed produces a different color plant. And maybe the two I happened to plant were the same color. Maybe next year I’ll plant more seeds and up my odds for better colors. It’s a good thing all the colors taste the same.

I was planning on posting a super special cupcake recipe today, considering that one year ago we were officially tying the knot and chowing down on 300 freshly-baked cupcakes. Yes, it really has been an entire year. And I figured cupcakes would be a fitting way to celebrate. But, alas, my super special cupcakes, albeit pretty, did not pass the taste test. Bummer. Because, really, the frosting should be the best part, and not taste like you forgot the sugar. Blech. I have say that our first year of marriage has been far sweeter than this frosting. I still have high hopes for the flavor combination, however, and plan to give it another go in the very near future.

Pizza Bianca with Goat Cheese and Greens

Makes 4 servings. Recipe from Epicurious.

Crust
3/4 cup warm water (105°F to 115°F)
1 1/2 teaspoons dry yeast (from 1 envelope)
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1 3/4 cups (about) unbleached all purpose flour

Seasoned oil
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper

Topping
1 bunch Swiss chard (about 10 ounces), white ribs cut away
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 large garlic clove, minced

Yellow cornmeal
8 ounces whole-milk mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (about 1 cup)

For crust:
Pour 3/4 cup water into large bowl. Sprinkle yeast over; stir to blend. Let stand 10 minutes to dissolve yeast. Add oil and salt, then 1 1/2 cups flour. Stir until well blended (dough will be sticky). Turn dough out onto generously floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, adding just enough flour to prevent dough from sticking, about 5 minutes (dough will be soft). Shape dough into ball; place in large oiled bowl and turn to coat. Cover bowl with kitchen towel. Let dough rise at cool room temperature until almost doubled, about 2 hours. Punch dough down; form into ball. Return to bowl; cover with towel and let rise until doubled, about 3 hours.

Meanwhile, prepare seasoned oil:
Mix oil, garlic, and red pepper in small bowl. Let stand 1 hour.

For topping:
Cook chard in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water; drain. Squeeze dry, then coarsely chop. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and stir 30 seconds. Add chard and stir 1 minute. Season to taste with salt.

Preheat oven to 500°F. Punch down dough. Form into ball; place on floured work surface. Cover with kitchen towel; let rest 30 minutes.

Sprinkle rimless baking sheet with cornmeal. Roll out dough on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to baking sheet. Sprinkle mozzarella over dough, leaving 1-inch border. Scatter chard over mozzarella. Top with goat cheese. Brush crust edge with some of seasoned oil. Set aside 2 teaspoons seasoned oil; drizzle remaining oil over pizza.

Bake pizza until crust is brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from oven; brush edge with seasoned oil and serve.

Rose D., Frenchtown, NJ
    Posted On June 27, 2010 at 8:00 pm

It looks like the perfect dinner on a hot summer night. All you need is a chilled glass of vino to go with it!!! :)

Posted On June 28, 2010 at 6:38 am

I’m really into looking for great alternative pizza toppings. I say that but then, for some reason, when I make pizza I always chicken out and opt for our “favourites” instead.

This really does look good though. Normally I would be turned off by the fact that there’s no tomato sauce but judging by the photos this works extremely well without it. I’ll definitely give this a try (no chickening out this time!) :-)

Posted On June 28, 2010 at 8:25 am

That looks divine. I have to make it. I am very glad you posted it instead of cupcakes :)

Posted On June 28, 2010 at 9:13 am

These photos look incredible. I would definitely think about adding thin slices of fresh tomato; I’d be concerned that it might be a little dry otherwiste (though perhaps the chard takes care of that concern).

Posted On June 28, 2010 at 5:39 pm

Congrats on 1 year! That is great! Thanks for admitting that the cupcakes did not pass the taste test. I don’t blog about my cooking much because most of the time I am doing a quick midweek meal (just for calories and nutrients) and having nothing special. When I do try to cook something good, I think I am at about 50% when it comes to successful cooking and not successful cooking. There have been a few that I had to toss, it was so bad. I am not going to blog about bad food, especially my own!

• Posted On June 28, 2010 at 10:04 pm

We haven’t made anything that’s been inedible recently, luckily… but for every blog-worthy recipe there’s usually another that is just unremarkable. I used to post even the bad stuff, but then realized that I was just wasting everyone’s time! haha. ;) Though I have to say, since we started our CSA our ratio of good to mediocre has drastically increased! Yum!

Posted On June 28, 2010 at 9:10 pm

I’m sorry that I read this blog entry AFTER having dinner tonight. Maybe tomorrow?

• Posted On June 28, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Lucky for you, the crust should be started about 5 or 6 hours in advance. :) I’d say it’d be PERFECT for tomorrow’s dinner!

Posted On June 29, 2010 at 9:05 am

I need to make this!!! I’ve been on a bbq-chicken pizza kick lately, but this looks absolutely divine!

Posted On June 29, 2010 at 1:11 pm

You had me at goat cheese. Looks delish!

Posted On June 29, 2010 at 3:10 pm

Ohhhhh MY! this recipes looks lovely I love baking pizza at home!!! I am all over this one!

Posted On June 30, 2010 at 1:56 pm

it was indeed a perfect dinner. thank you.

Farmer
    Posted On July 4, 2010 at 7:09 am

About Chard….rainbow chard is just like you imagined…every seed produces a different color, however, keep in mind that each “seed” is actually a cluster of seeds, so every one you plant will produce many chard plants. Chard is in the beet family, and if you look at the seeds and tops you will see the resemblance. Chard is a cool weather crop, as you figured. You can however, pick individual leaves off and it will keep growing….it will slow in the heat, but pick right back up in the fall, and the leaves will get sweeter as the temp drops. Well have fun growing food and cooking. Hope this helps for future plantings.

Posted On July 6, 2010 at 5:49 pm

I am so pleased to find an easy pizza crust recipe that comes with an incredible sounding pizza to go along with it. Hubby and I are always on the prowl for something new to add to our repetoire and this looks like a scrumptious choice.

I found a recipe for homemade ricotta that we are dying to try and now we have the crust to along with it.

JEangel153
    Posted On July 7, 2010 at 2:07 pm

This was delightful! My husband and I really enjoyed making our own pizza dough from scratch, and it was easier than we thought. Plus, anything with goat cheese is excellent!

Buchstabentante
    Posted On September 27, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Just made a batch of these and we loved it! I substituted the regular flour with wholemeal flour and used Feta instead of goat cheese. I am sure they turned out “heavier” than yours, but they were great. Thank you for the receipe!