Tart Cherry-Glazed Brussels Sprouts

Tart Cherry-Glazed Brussels Sprouts

I thought I had Brussels sprouts down. I though I’d already discovered the definitive recipe, the one Brussels sprout recipe to end them all. And don’t get me wrong, they’re damn delicious. Even haters would gobble them up without a second thought.

And then I made these, and everything I thought I knew about Brussels sprouts got turned on its head.

Because, let me tell you, these may just be the best. Brussels. Sprouts. Ever.

And that’s not a claim I take lightly.

Tart Cherry-Glazed Brussels Sprouts

In part 2 of our partnership with the Cherry Marketing Institute, we’re exploring tart cherries in all their glory. If you missed it, I first used frozen tart cherries in this classic cherry pie. For these humble little veggies, however, we’re using tart cherry juice which is readily available almost anywhere in the country.

Hooray for accessible recipes!

But let’s talk about these Brussels sprouts for a second (and remember, it’s Brussels, like the city, not brussel. One Brussels sprout. A plate full of Brussels sprouts. Confusing, yes. But delicious too).

The tart cherry juice is perhaps the perfect companion to the sometimes bitter brassica. By thickening the juice with a little brown sugar and a splash of sriracha for spice, you end up with a thick and syrupy glaze that’s tart, sweet, and intensely flavored. Close your eyes and you might even mistake its fruitiness for an aged balsamic vinegar.

The sweet/tart/spicy combination amps up the flavor of the sprouts and cancels out any/all bitterness. Sautéed until golden brown and crispy on the bottoms and perfectly tender in the middles (no gross mushy Brussels in this household), then covered in a sweet sticky glaze and tossed with crunchy sliced almonds for a textural contrast that borders on perfection.

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Tart Cherry Glaze

Don’t wait until Thanksgiving to make this one (but whether you’re a plan-a-header or not, you’ll want to be adding this to your turkey day menu STAT).

Tart Cherry-Glazed Brussels Sprouts

Yield: 4 side servings

Total Time: 30 minutes

• 3/4 cup tart cherry juice
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon sriracha hot sauce (or to taste)
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds

1. To prepare glaze, combine cherry juice, brown sugar, and sriracha in a small saucepan. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring regularly to prevent scorching, until significantly reduced and liquid is thick and syrupy, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
  2. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add Brussels sprouts and toss to coat with oil, then turn with tongs so cut sides are facing down. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until bottoms are golden brown and sprouts are crisp-tender (slightly longer if your sprouts are very large).
  3. Stir in garlic until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and immediately add glaze; gently toss until evenly coated. Stir in almonds. Serve warm.

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by the Cherry Marketing Institute. As always, all opinions written are purely our own. We’re incredibly grateful for opportunities like these that allow us to continue sharing delicious recipes with you, so thank you for supporting us and the brands we love.

That's My Jam: Summer edition Now Available!

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 4:52 am

I love brussel sprouts. And there is something so magical about cooking them in a cast iron skillet… completely different level from any other way I’ve ever prepared them. I’ve never thought to do a sweet/tart flavor combo with them, though! Can’t wait to give this a try

<3 dani

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 5:16 am

I was thinking some pancetta would be awesome in this dish and then you said Thanksgiving and my mind spun off in the direction of cranberries, which makes me wonder how this would be with cranberry juice. And pancetta ;)

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 6:04 am

Ooooh, I’m loving how those browned edges are looking! And I love the thought of the cherry-Brussels sprouts combination!

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 6:05 am

The caramelization is just PERFECT on these! Love it! I love brussles and just this past week they really started to look good at my grocery store and I bought a bunch and now I want to add cherries – great idea! Pinned

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 6:34 am

I’ve finally grown into brussels sprouts. I now see them as a satisfying, healthy and tasty ingredient instead of a method of torture as I did when I was a kid. All the same, I know I haven’t got them down yet. They have so much potential I have yet to crack. This recipe looks gorgeous: a combination of so many things I love, so certainly one to try! Thanks for sharing.

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 7:09 am

These brussels sprouts are calling my name! I can’t not wait to try this recipe! Yum!

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 8:42 am

What a recipe!! I love love love roasted brussel sprouts, especially since growing up we always had the super mushy kind!! I will definitely be giving this recipe a try soon.

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 8:48 am

Uhhmm, am trying this receipe today:-)

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 9:30 am

That caramelization is swoon-worthy!

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 9:36 am

Love the flavors in this recipe.  I can’t wait to try it…before Thanksgiving.

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 9:57 am

What a great idea, Linsday! I love brussels sprouts so I can’t wait to give this a try!

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 10:46 am

I’ve recently come into a love of Brussels sprouts, and you can NEVER have to many recipes for something.  Excited to try this one!

Posted On September 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

As if Brussels sprouts couldn’t get any better… damn. Mind is totally blown here, and I’ve been known to make a lot of crazy Brussels creations.

Susan
    Posted On September 11, 2014 at 9:40 am

This recipe sounds interesting.  My favorite way to cook them is to roast them with olive oil and black pepper.  That’s been the only way I like them, thanks to the bitterness of the little frozen ones.  I just may have to try this…  :-)

Posted On September 11, 2014 at 10:37 am

I just started liking Brussels sprouts a couple of years ago, after a life long NO NO. Amazing. This is an inspired sauce for them. It sounds like a fab holiday side dish to me. Something totally different—-well for my table anyway.

Posted On September 11, 2014 at 12:12 pm

This makes me ridiculously excited for fall. Like, I need go out and buy 10 lbs of brussels sprouts excited. These look perfect!

Posted On September 11, 2014 at 6:56 pm

Wow! Or shall I say, OMG! I love Brussels Sprouts and these look absolutely delicious. Must try! Thanks for sharing from 3girls1apple.com

Grey
    Posted On September 12, 2014 at 8:51 pm

This is so intriguing! I have loved Brussels sprouts for years so was excited to try it today. I scoured my grocery store juice aisle, and there was no sign on tart cherry juice.  I still want to try so am going try using black cherry juice but less sugar.

Posted On September 14, 2014 at 4:01 am

I love sprouts and the cherry sounds amazing!

Rebecca
    Posted On September 14, 2014 at 2:09 pm

I just have to make this recipe, it looks so so delicious! I have pinned it, so that I wount forget about it ;)
    thanks for sharing,
    love rebecca
    icing-sugar.net

danielle hines
    Posted On September 16, 2014 at 6:38 pm

I just made these with tonight’s dinner (Chicken Korma). The brussels were out-of-this-world good! I know I will be turning to this recipe often – it’s both simple and delicious. My new favorite way to make brussels sprouts. Thanks for the recipe!

Jennifer Longiaru
    Posted On October 13, 2014 at 2:50 pm

I’ve made this dish twice and loved it!  I can’t seem to get my sauce “syrupy” though.  It’s delicious, but thin.  I don’t use Tart Cherry Juice, but regular Black Cherry Juice (half the price) could that be it?

Posted On November 2, 2014 at 8:59 pm

What an unexpected combination! But I can imagine that sweet/salty contrast that I LOVE! Pinned!