Kitchen Basics: Oven-Roasted Chicken Breasts

Kitchen Basics: Oven-Roasted Chicken Breasts

Oven roasted chicken is a staple in our kitchen. Maybe because it is so easy, or maybe because roasted chicken is basically the Swiss Army Knife of proteins. It is so juicy it can be eaten right off of the bone, shredded for use in soups, tacos, or sandwiches, or the meat can be removed from the bone in one piece and sliced into medallions. The options are endless.

Easy Oven-Roasted Chicken Breasts: Before

There are a few tricks Lindsay and I have discovered for the perfect oven-roasted chicken breasts. The first trick is to keep things simple. We use olive oil, salt, and pepper to season the chicken. That’s it. More often than not, we are using the chicken as an ingredient in another dish (these tacos, for example) and additional seasoning at the roasting stage is unnecessary.

Easy Oven-Roasted Chicken Breasts: After

The second trick is to buy bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts. Dealing with bones might be scary if you’re not used to it, but the extra effort is completely worth it (trust me). The meat turns out juicier and more flavorful than boneless. Plus, as an added bonus, bone-in, skin-on is much cheaper per pound.

Lastly, don’t overcook the chicken! Our recipe is just a guideline, since meat comes in different weights and thicknesses and ovens vary wildly from kitchen to kitchen. Get a meat thermometer (if you don’t have one) and use it. It will tell you whether or not the chicken is cooked through. We bake ours to 165 degrees Fahrenheit (FDA recommends 170 degrees, use your own judgement). When the chicken reaches your desired temperature, let it rest for ten minutes or so in loosely tented foil. From here it is ready to be sliced, shredded, or eaten right off of the bone with your favorite side dishes.

Oven-Roasted Chicken Breasts

Yield: 2-4 servings

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

• 2 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil
  • pinch of kosher salt
  • fresh black pepper

1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
  2. Rub both sides of chicken breasts with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place breasts skin side up on prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake for about 45 minutes (more or less depending on size and weight of chicken breasts) or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F. Remove from oven and loosely cover with foil; allow meat to rest 10 minutes before slicing or shredding.

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 6:44 am

Such a great, simple how-to! I love roasting chicken, but I always buy skinless…guess I should switch ‘er up! Pinning

• Melissa
      Posted On March 26, 2014 at 8:38 am

Buy bone-in from now on. Trust me you won’t be disappointed. And just like the recipe says olive oil, S&P. If your oven has a convection setting, that is even better yet!!

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 6:54 am

This is such a great post, something you think is so simple but actually so many people (including myself) get wrong some time! Thank you, favoriting this one (:

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 8:29 am

Swiss army knife of protein <— WELL SAID! Bone in-skin on is the best, and I love that it's usually less expensive too. Wins all around.

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 9:33 am

Love your blog. Looks delicious!

-Brittny Alys

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 11:34 am

Yeah, bone-in, skin-on is definitely the best. These are great tips.

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 12:20 pm

You made me lol! Chicken is the swiss army knife of proteins! It is such a staple and I don’t know where I would be without several fail-safe, juicy chicken breast recipes! I’ve never roasted it with the bone-in, so I’ll definitely be trying this!

Lisa
    Posted On March 26, 2014 at 1:38 pm

I do this a lot for recipes. If I don’t have any bone in, I make a foil packet with skinless, boneless breasts and cook them the same way. They turn out moist as well.

Posted On March 26, 2014 at 11:16 pm

So simple and delicious! I love keeping dinners nice and easy like  this. I can’t wait to try this recipe next date night! Thanks for sharing :)

Posted On March 27, 2014 at 7:21 am

Skin on for me is the best! Love your Kitchen Basic!

Tracy
    Posted On March 27, 2014 at 7:46 am

I get so excited when my chicken turns out just right.  It does vary, but I’ve never used a meat thermometer  to keep from over cooking it.  I’ll definitely try this next time.  My problem is knowing how Lon to cook FROZEN chicken breasts, when oven roasting and/or poaching my chicken.  Any suggestions?   Thanks.  Great blog!

• Taylor
      Posted On March 27, 2014 at 9:30 am

A meat thermometer will really help to prevent overcooking. We rarely cook anything from frozen (other than frozen pizza) so I don’t have any suggestions there. We usually thaw frozen meat overnight in the fridge. That way the outside of the meat doesn’t get overcooked while waiting for the inside to thaw and cook.

Posted On March 27, 2014 at 10:15 am

You are so right, bone-in does provide a great flavor. Love the tips :)

Posted On March 27, 2014 at 10:43 am

Oven roasted chicken breast is my favorite way to make chicken! It’s so easy you can just leave it in there and forget about it for a while. I think that when I oven roast chicken breast it is so much more tasty! I like to cook it all the way through and then cut it up into cube and roll it around in the juices left in the pan and then bake it just a bit longer, it totally locks in the flavor! Plus, then it’s already cut and ready to eat!

Posted On March 27, 2014 at 11:41 am

I love that you posted this… its such a staple and its nice to have a good recipe

Kimmie G
    Posted On March 30, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I’ve never tried bone-in, but I’ll try your recipe this week! Sounds yummy! Thanks for sharing!

Posted On April 8, 2014 at 9:24 am

Also – let’s not forget using the bones for stock!

Posted On May 19, 2014 at 4:31 pm

Great, easy recipe!  Made this for my kids tonight and they loved it!

-m

v wood
    Posted On June 23, 2014 at 8:25 pm

is there a meat thermometer that you like?  The once that I have bought are always off a bit.

• Posted On June 29, 2014 at 5:06 pm

You can calibrate/test your thermometer by testing boiling water, which boils always at a consistent temperature (based on your altitude). Then you at least know how off your thermometer is. :)

Specifically, we have this thermometer: http://amzn.to/1lGyJPe and I love it. Great for meat, candy, oil, etc. and is quite reliable.

Maia
    Posted On June 26, 2014 at 7:38 pm

how long would you bake bone in skin on frozen chicken thighs for?

• Posted On June 29, 2014 at 5:03 pm

I wouldn’t bake straight from frozen. Let them thaw overnight in the refrigerator and then bake until the internal temperature registers 165ºF. My guess is they’d take slightly less time than bone-in breasts, maybe 35-40 minutes.

Jamie
    Posted On October 22, 2014 at 8:45 pm

I actually pull the skin back first and season the breast itself. Then, I recover the breast with the skin and season the skin itself. This locks the flavor into the meat and the skin keeps the juices inside.