Rosemary and Smoked Salt Roasted Almonds

Rosemary and Smoked Salt Roasted Almonds

We’ve all had candied nuts; the sweet bites that turn shopping malls into hotboxes of sugary fragrance that no one in their right mind can resist.

Regardless of whether you feel that’s fair to subject unsuspecting shoppers to such temptation, there’s no denying that candied nuts are truly delicious. They are also, surprisingly, easy to make at home.

This recipe gives a normally sweet snack a savory twist, with a smoked salt and herb mix from SaltWorks®, Inc. The Wildfire® salt blend is just one of their many smoked salt products that I was fortunate enough to sample. My original draft of this recipe included smoked salt, fresh garlic, rosemary, and orange peel; so when I looked closer at the Wildfire ingredients and noticed it, too, contained smoked salt, garlic, and rosemary, I felt like the salt had read my mind.

Roasted Almonds with Rosemary and Smoked Salt

The nuts are first coated with egg white, much like a candied nut recipe to help the seasonings “stick”, but instead of sugar and spices they are tossed with a savory smoked salt seasoning, fresh rosemary, and orange peel.

Some of you may be lucky enough to have a smoker in your household (the food kind, not the nasty habit kind), but for the rest of us, smoked salts are a fantastic way to infuse some fabulous, smokey notes into everyday dishes. They bring a meaty satisfaction to meat-less dishes, and lend unique flavor and aroma with every sprinkle. Needless to say, I’m a fan.

Stay tuned, because tomorrow I’ll be back giving away an incredible assortment of salts from SaltWorks®, Inc, including the Wildfire® blend used here (but that’s just the tip of the salt block.) If you love salt you won’t want to miss it!

Roasted Almonds with Rosemary and Smoked Salt

Yield: 2 cups

Total Time: 25 minutes

• 1 large egg white (2 tablespoons)
  • 2 cups raw almonds
  • 2 teaspoons Wildfire® Smoked Sea Salt & Herbs
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried orange peel or 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh orange zest
  • leaves from 2 sprigs fresh rosemary, stems discarded

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray with cooking spray.
  2. Whisk egg white in a medium bowl until frothy. Fold in almonds until evenly coated. Sprinkle with smoked salt, orange peel, and rosemary leaves and toss until evenly distributed. Spread nuts in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until toasted and dry in appearance, stirring once or twice in the middle of the cooking process to prevent nuts from sticking together. Let cool for at least 10 minutes before serving, or store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Disclosure: This post was sponsored by SaltWorks®, Inc. As always, all opinions written are purely our own. We’re incredibly grateful for opportunities like these that allow us to continue sharing delicious recipes with you, so thank you for supporting us and the brands we love.

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 4:02 am

I saw a similar recipe yesterday but a sweet version. It will be so nice to make both :)

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 4:18 am

I love salted nuts. They’re a great snack, but I also love to serve them big bowls, with a few chunks of cheese and salami for guests to nibble on before dinner, rather than having a starter. I usually just buy them in a bag, but I love the idea of making my own – so much nicer.
    Also, love Marta’s idea of mixing sweet and salty nuts together – kind of like sweet and salty popcorn!

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 4:37 am

What a lovely flavor combination. This will be perfect to nibble on at holiday parties.

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 5:21 am

I made candied nuts for the first time yesterday. Love how easy and quick they are. Can’t wait to try more varieties!

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 9:10 am

I made some rosemary almonds a few years back and loved them but I wasnt aware then to add an egg white for sticking power. Now I am on board after good success with some other candied almonds. I need like 5 handfuls of these!

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 9:23 am

Gorgeous!  I only just tried smoked sea salt this past year–it is amazing.  Such a cool ingredient to use in the kitchen.

I love just putting out fresh raw almonds as a snack for an appetizer, but these would be such a great new twist.  Love it.

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 9:58 am

roasted nuts are such a great, simple holiday appetizer that everyone loves – I’m totally digging this!  But I’ll confess: since I’m a sweet & savory monster, I might consider throwing some brown sugar on these babies, too.  I just can’t resist that candied effect!

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 10:42 am

These are so good. My cousin made these exact same nuts for her cocktail hour at her wedding reception (yes she made her own snacks to have out at her backyard BBQ-themed party) and they were so addicting. I probably ate way more than i should have!

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 1:11 pm

These look delicious! I’m going to investigate alternatives to the egg white for sticking power, though.

• Posted On November 14, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Let me know if/what you find… I tried olive oil and while it tasted good, it did nothing in terms of getting the ingredients to stick to the nuts.

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE candied nuts, and these sound amazing! I recently had some rosemary black pepper almonds from the store, but the seasoning on them was SO strong and thickly coated on that I had to rub the almonds between paper towels first before eating them! The ones you made look like what I WANTED the ones I bought to taste like. So, I’ll stick to homemade :)

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 8:40 pm

I LOVE smoked almonds, as in I will eat the entire batch by myself if they are smoked.  Haha!

Posted On November 14, 2013 at 10:41 pm

So pretty! I love nuts of any kind! Oh and the smoked salt sound so good! I have to but some for the holidays!

Posted On November 15, 2013 at 9:18 am

These look delicious, can’t wait to try this out on all different types of nuts!

Posted On November 15, 2013 at 11:43 am

Love making these things for the holidays

Posted On November 21, 2013 at 10:30 am

I think this would make a great food gift to family and friends.  Who doesn’t like to get something yummy to eat?

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 2:21 pm

My husband will be going crazy for these :) they sound delicious