Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews

Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews

Well wasn’t that a spicy week? But let’s end it with something mild. Cool off your burning palette with…

More peppers.

Wait, what?

Peppadews, if you’ve never encountered them before, are sweet little peppers from South Africa. They are most often sold pickled and brined in jars, much like olives, and have a sweet, briny flavor with an oh-so-subtle kick (there are hotter versions available if you’re game). But otherwise totally mild, sweet even, especially when compared with the piquant posts earlier this week.

Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews

This recipe comes from my friend Beth, who recreated the dish from a local favorite (RIP Rumba). I added garlic and used basil in place of chives (thyme would work well, too!), but the general concept is unchanged: Take pepper. Stuff pepper. Eat pepper.

They make a great, easy appetizer, made up to 2 hours ahead of time and stashed until ready to serve (just resist the urge to sneak one here, two there, or they will be gone before your guests arrive).

A word of warning: peppadews ‘aint cheap. Get ready to spend upwards of $11/jar for these babies. But I don’t think I need to tell you that they are well worth it.

Goat Cheese Stuffed Peppadews

Yield: about 25-30 bites

Total Time: 15 minutes

• 6 ounces soft goat cheese, room temperature
  • 2 large garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, chives, thyme, or other fresh herbs
  • 2 tablespoons heavy cream or half-and-half (as needed)
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1 jar peppadew peppers (about 20-30 peppers)

1. In a bowl, combine goat cheese with garlic and herbs, stirring until evenly incorporated. Add cream as needed, 1 tablespoon at a time, to thin out filling if necessary (the amount needed will depend mostly on the softness of your goat cheese). The filling should be the consistency of buttercream frosting. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
  2. Fill each peppadew with about 1/2 teaspoon of filling. I find it helpful to load the filling into a piping bag fitted with a 1/4-inch round tip, which makes it very easy to neatly fill each pepper completely full.
  3. Serve immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 hours; let come to room temperature for 15 minutes prior to serving.

Adapted from Eat.Drink.Smile.

Patricia Miller
    Posted On October 24, 2013 at 7:35 am

I wanted to make these for a dinner party a couple of weeks ago – but I couldn’t for the life of me find the peppers anywhere!  I looked for either fresh (in the deli) or in a jar but couldn’t find either and I searched at several grocery stores. :( I had these at a party I attended over the summer and loved them.

• Posted On October 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm

In my grocery store, peppadews somehow ended up in the produce section – perhaps you’ll have luck finding them there? In my market, which isn’t fancy in any way – they’re on an end cap with some marinated artichoke hearts and sundried tomatoes packed in oil. I always forget they’re there because my gut tells me to go look in the aisle with pepperoncini and everything else! Go figure : )

Hope that helps!

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 8:02 am

I love the simplicity to these! Delicious!

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 8:16 am

We have like, 10 million guests coming through our apartment in the next two months for the holidays, and these would be perfect as a quick and easy appetizer!  (Because everyone’s always hungry when they’re at my house for some reason! :) )

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 8:17 am

I’ve had peppadews stuffed with other cheeses, but never goat cheese..this sounds awesome! Now I just have to figure out where to find them near me!

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 8:26 am

Goat cheese peppers are one of my favorite appetizers! I also love them with Mozzarella.

Janet
    Posted On October 24, 2013 at 9:11 am

I live in Franklin, TN and you can get peppadews at the olive bar at Whole Foods ($9.99 pound). I love them so much I have even ordered them online.

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 9:31 am

I’ve never had peepeappadawees! I’m so excited for this.

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 9:37 am

These are the best!  I am hooked on them…not to sweet, not to spicy…but deliciously creamy and oozing with cheese.

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 9:50 am

I see these every time I’m at Whole Foods and they always call to me.  How easy is it to make them at home myself!!  Cool.  Thanks!

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 10:17 am

I’ve never heard of peppadews! Gotta try them out – these look great!

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 11:38 am

I love peppadews.  They’re great on a ham sandwich.  But this sound delicious. I would love to try them stuff with goat cheese.

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Never tried them, but they look so fresh I’d love to try my hand at this recipe

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Oh man – my husband’s cousin makes these every time we visit them, and I’ve been meaning to look up a recipe. They’re soooo addictive!

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 5:37 pm

So funny- i just had these at a house party a couple weeks ago . . and have not forgotten about those wonderful, heavenly bites! Thanks for the recipe xx

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I love peppadews and have been making them for years. There are so many things you can do with them. I like to add a bit of Asian chili sauce, chives, and grated orange zest to my goat cheese then pipe them in for a little zip. They make the perfect appetizer.

Posted On October 24, 2013 at 9:34 pm

I need these! But then again, I need anything stuff with goat cheese : )

Posted On October 25, 2013 at 2:56 am

I picked up your new cookbook yesterday “Breakfast for Dinner”. Love it.

Posted On October 26, 2013 at 12:12 am

I’ve never had a peppadew, but they sound yuumy, especially when stuffed with goat cheese!

Posted On October 26, 2013 at 9:29 am

I love Peppadew peppers, they make a lovely salsa too

Posted On October 26, 2013 at 11:03 am

I love Peppadews, hmmmm yummie :)

Posted On October 27, 2013 at 5:27 am

Lovely photos! They look wonderful!

Barbara S
    Posted On October 28, 2013 at 6:50 am

I just made this recipe for a potluck this past weekend.  Everyone liked them.  I found the peppers at Whole Foods- $5.99/jar.  I piped in the filling using a quart size plastic ziptop bag;; cut a small end in the tip and you don’t have to fuss with a regular piping tip.  Will definitely make these again.

Posted On October 28, 2013 at 12:11 pm

I just LOVE peppadews!  It took me forever to figure out what they were since I had only ever seen them in olive bars at grocery stores.  I make these sometimes filled with a garlic/herb boursin and sprinkled with fresh chopped herbs.  They’re always a big hit! My Mom had them with us while visiting and loved them, so she found a jar in a wine shop when she went home, but she said those were so hot, they lit her up like a Christmas tree!  The ones I’ve had have always been sweet/hot, but never too hot.  :)

Posted On October 31, 2013 at 10:25 pm

These are fantastic!! I absolutely love goat cheese! I could probably polish off an entire plate of these ;)

The Little Terri
    Posted On December 29, 2013 at 11:22 am

Love these so much!  Had these at a party and they were served on a platter of beautiful buttery edamame! The peppers really popped against the vibrant green and it was two appetizers in one!