Toasted Almond & Chocolate Granola

Toasted Almond & Chocolate Granola

Is this breakfast? Or dessert? Or a salty sweet afternoon snack?

I’d argue all of the above.

This chocolate granola is sweet, but not too sweet to be eaten at sunrise with a dollop of vanilla yogurt and fresh fruit. It’s hearty, but decadent enough to sprinkle over vanilla ice cream. And it’s perfect by the handful when you just need a bit of a boost during the afternoon lull.

Toasted Almond & Chocolate Granola

The recipe was inspired by a Trader Joe’s product, although I have to say my addition of chocolate chips was nothing short of brilliant: they’re added at the very end when the granola is just barely warm so they soften and stick into globs of granola gold (believe me, you’ll find yourself digging for the chocolate globs like they were marshmallows in Lucky Charms).

The cocoa powder brings a rich chocolate flavor to the granola without added heaviness, and like my go-to granola (a recipe you can find in our book, where we use it in our chewy granola cookies) it’s sweetened with nothing more than a little honey.

I also swapped out the vegetable oil here for coconut oil, which brings an added nuttiness, but not (for you coconut haters) a heavy coconut flavor. It’s the chocolate and almond that take center stage here, with the oats, honey, and coconut simply along for the ride.

Toasted Almond & Chocolate Granola

Yield: about 4 cups

Total Time: 45 minutes

• 2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 cup slivered almonds
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa nibs
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1/4 cup cocoa powder
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; spray lightly with cooking spray.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together oats, coconut, almonds, cocoa nibs, and salt.
  3. In a heatproof bowl or glass measuring cup, microwave honey and oil on high power until mixture is hot and bubbling, about 45 seconds. Whisk in cocoa powder until smooth. Stir in vanilla and almond extracts. Pour over dry ingredients and toss to coat.
  4. Spread granola onto prepared baking sheet in an even layer. Bake, stirring every 10 to 15 minutes, until granola is fragrant no longer sticky, about 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool, stirring occasionally to break up the large pieces, for about 20 minutes. When granola is just barely warm, stir in chocolate chips. You want the chips to soften ever so slightly so they "stick" to some of the granola, but not melt completely. Granola will keep, stored in an airtight container, for up to 4 weeks.

Adapted from our book, Breakfast for Dinner.

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 7:46 am

Oh, my heavens… Lindsay, your chocolate almond granola looks divine. Love the analogy… “…you’ll find yourself digging for the chocolate globs like they were marshmallows in Lucky Charms.” Yep. That would be me! Thanks for sharing!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 8:08 am

O.
    M.
    G.

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 8:27 am

So indulgent! Homemade granola is the best! I can’t wait to add some chocolate granola to our rotation!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 11:02 am

I can have these granola as breakfast, dessert, or a afternoon snack. Scrumptious.

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 12:22 pm

I just recently discovered how yummy and easy homemade granola is… thanks for the recipe!!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 12:30 pm

I love a good chocolate granola. It is a hearty, sweet treat for sure!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Hello, delicious!  This granola looks absolutely perfect!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Oh yum yum yum! I can always count on you for the most amazing recipes! This is a must for me to try asap!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 4:26 pm

This is such a fun idea!! Yum!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 5:15 pm

Mmmm, I love granola and this version looks perfect!!

Lanie
    Posted On September 23, 2013 at 8:56 pm

This is the second chocolate granola recipe I have tried to make with no avail.  Both recipes are similar, and I have followed them exactly…and neither times did the chocolate coat the oat mixture.  It just globs up.  I don’t understand what is going on.

• Posted On September 23, 2013 at 9:37 pm

What part  is globbing? The cocoa powder is mixed in with the warm honey mixture and that coats  the granola very nicely. The chips added at the end just soften enough to stick, but they’re not supposed to fully melt and stay whole for the most part.  Is that what you are referring to? Also, be sure to stir the granola as it cools so it doesn’t solidify into one big chunk.

• Lanie
      Posted On September 24, 2013 at 2:01 pm

It’s the cocoa honey mixture that globs up when I mix it into the oat mixture.  The other recipe I used last time did the same thing, only it had brown sugar and was not heated.
      So I’m not quite for sure what I’m doing wrong. :(

• Posted On September 24, 2013 at 2:12 pm

That is very strange. Did you follow the recipe exactly as written? Did you heat the honey mixture until it was bubbling? It should still be hot when you pour it over the oats. I pour it over the oats in a large bowl, then fold it with a spatula or wooden spoon until the oats are evenly coated. It is quite sticky at this point, but just keep stirring and folding and it’ll get evenly coated eventually, then spread it onto the baking sheet. It’ll dry out as it bakes.

Have you ever made a regular granola recipe? This one should be no different, the chocolate doesn’t affect the texture at all.

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 9:04 pm

In. Love.

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Totally in love with all the flavors here!! YUM!

Posted On September 23, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I like globbing and chocolate, so this is totally my kinda dealio!!

Posted On September 24, 2013 at 12:21 am

Yum.  What doesn’t taste better when you add chocolate?  This looks great.

Posted On September 24, 2013 at 7:39 am

I’m a total advocate of chocolate for breakfast in any form and this looks right up my street.

Sarah
    Posted On September 24, 2013 at 2:26 pm

I just bought the ingredients for this recipe. I finally found the cocoa nibs then read the directions only find they are not mentioned. When do you add these to the mix?

• Posted On September 24, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Nice catch, recipe has been updated. :) They get mixed in with the oats and nuts.

Sarah
    Posted On September 24, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Thanks!

Posted On September 24, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I’m so excited to have come across this recipe.  My hubby has been on an oatmeal binge, and me…well –  I just eat chocolate all the time.  Perfect combination for us.  Thanks a lot! :)

Kyrie
    Posted On September 25, 2013 at 11:07 am

Do you have to use the Cocoa nibs? What are they and where do I find them? (I live in Michigan). Thanks!

• Posted On September 25, 2013 at 12:20 pm

They are optional but add a nice chocolate flavor and crunch. Whole Foods has them, I know that. Scharffenberger brand does include them in their line if there are stores near you that carry their products. And there’s always online! :)

Kiran
    Posted On September 27, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I made it! And it’s so YUM! Even my four year old daughter adores it! You are so right about dunking for choc blobs.. They are the fun bits. This recipe is definately a keeper. Thanks :)

Posted On October 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Oh my, that looks delicious! I can imagine the milk of choice would go a lovely cocoa colour and taste just as good as the granola. Saving!

Posted On October 5, 2013 at 4:09 pm

This looks like a lovely snack…I’m always picking. I graze throughout the day and this is exactly the sort of food I’d look forward to picking! I picked up some vegan chocolate atVegfest  today, that s flavoured in coconut and some in strawberries and cream…wonder if they will work? X

Posted On October 5, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I turned these into granola bars and they were AWESOME (http://www.floatingkitchen.net/chocolate-almond-granola-bars/). Thanks so much for sharing Lindsay!

Mary
    Posted On October 6, 2013 at 6:10 pm

This looks delicious but, if you don’t mind my asking, what are ‘chocolate nibs’? Thanks!

• Mary
      Posted On October 6, 2013 at 9:38 pm

Sorry, cocoa nibs! What are those?

• Posted On October 7, 2013 at 8:04 am

Cocoa nibs/cacao nibs are basically pieces of cacao beans (the beans used to make chocolate) that have been roasted and processed. Basically what chocolate is before it is ground and turned into chocolate. You can often find them at health/specialty food stores, whole foods, or online.

Emily H.
    Posted On October 18, 2013 at 7:59 pm

I made this today & It’s delicious! Thanks for the recipe!

Calliope
    Posted On December 19, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I made a triple batch of this to give as Christmas gifts, & I’m glad I made so much, because I’m totally keeping some for myself. So good & so easy! I know my friends & neighbors are gonna love it. Thx!!

• Calliope
      Posted On December 19, 2013 at 6:57 pm

PS; I couldn’t find cocoa nibs, so I just left them out, but I added some chopped hazelnuts for added crunch & depth of flavor.

Posted On January 9, 2014 at 2:42 pm

Hi Lindsay,
    Can you recommend a specific brand/type of coconut oil?
    Thanks!

Susan McClyde
    Posted On March 18, 2014 at 7:24 am

I’ve tried a few chocolate almond granola recipes from the web and yours is by far, the best. I’ve been sprinkling 1/2 c. over vanilla yogurt as a post-workout snack and it is SO satisfying. I will never buy store-bought granola as long as I have recipes like this. Thank you!