Blueberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Blueberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Blueberries are a miracle of color. When first picked, their skins are mottled blue with a hazy white film (also called the bloom, a natural sunscreen that protects the berry and keeps them from spoiling). All the pigment (and beneficial nutrients) resides in the skin, much of the tang and tannin too. The flesh inside is sweet but colorless, and without the tell-tale blue skin you might as well be eating a grape. When cooked, pureed, or smashed, they stain whatever they touch a vibrant fuschia, including but not limited to dairy products, clothing, teeth and skin.

Don’t be surprised if your lips turn faintly purple after eating this ice cream (meaning, you probably won’t be able to sneak a bowl of this without the other members of your household catching you red-handed purple-lipped).

So make double. Since you’ll obviously be forced to share.

Blueberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

While I am usually a proponent of egg-based ice cream (I find they freeze more smoothly in household ice cream makers, resulting in a creamier texture overall), in this case I didn’t want extra fat from the egg yolks side-lining the bright berry flavor. The texture is light and refreshing, and not at all icy like sorbet.

The upside? Super easy. No waiting for the custard to thicken or straining out bits of cooked egg or tedious ice-bath cooling. Not that those things are hard, per say, but it’s nice to be able to shave an extra 20 minutes off the process, especially when you’re exhausted from all that picking and just want to park your bottom on the couch for an impromptu Dr. Who marathon. Even better when your lips match the Tardis.

The chocolate chips are just a bonus I decided to throw in, because blueberry and chocolate go so well together. But you can certainly leave them out if you prefer.

Blueberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream

Yield: 1 quart

Cook Time: 30 minutes

Total Time: 24 hours

• 2 cups picked-over blueberries
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
  • 3/4 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate

In a saucepan bring blueberries, sugar, and salt to a simmer over moderate heat, mashing berries with the back of a wooden spoon or a potato masher. Simmer, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes or until sugar is completely dissolved. Cool slightly, then transfer to a blender and purée with milk until smooth. Stir in cream. (If you'd like a smoother, seedless ice cream, strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve, pressing on solids with back of a spoon.) Cover and chill for at least 2 hours or until thoroughly chilled.

Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions. At the very last minute, stir in chocolate chips, then transfer to an freezer-safe container and put in freezer to harden completely.

Recipe from Epicurious.

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 8:05 am

This looks so good! And I love how bright it is! I just bought a cone like that from Anthropologie. Can’t wait to use it! :)

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 8:23 am

Blueberry twiiiins. They are heavenly at the moment, and these photos are class personified.

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 8:59 am

These cones with this beautiful purple ice is just stunning. Wow!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 9:03 am

gorgeous lindsay! love all these fresh blueberry recipes! pancakes next?! ;)

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 9:09 am

Gorgeous, Lindsay! You’re keeeeling me! (I have those same ice cream cup ceramic cups from Pottery Barn and planned similar styling for an upcoming ice cream recipe post using my marble board as a background. I’ll have to work hard to make mine look different.) Again, just beautiful and I love the flavor combo! Pinning!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 9:15 am

Blueberries can do no wrong! Neither can you – gorgeous photos and tasty recipe!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 9:50 am

This looks so refreshing and full of blueberry flavor! Can’t wait to try it!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 9:57 am

I bought an ice cream maker last year but have yet to use it. This is a simple enough recipe for me to finally try. Beautiful photos

Kandice
    Posted On August 5, 2013 at 9:58 am

Beautiful! My son has an egg allergy which makes me so happy to find egg free recipes. One of the many reasons I love many of your cupcake recipes.

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 10:13 am

Blueberries and chocolate chips sound different and delicious together! The ice cream is a beautiful color, and looks just perfectly creamy.

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 10:38 am

Loving everything about this recipe!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 11:14 am

This is my fav way to make my ice cream which I started doing when I bought Jeni’s ice cream book. The color of this is amazing…love it!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 11:15 am

Oooh. I love the blueberry and chocolate together. You see cherry-chocolate ice creams a lot, but not so much with other berries. My husband is a huge fan of strawberry ice cream with hot fudge, so I might have to see how this one suits his palate ;-)

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 11:24 am

This looks insanely rich and delicious! Not to mention your photos are incredible and make me seriously kick myself for not having an icecream machine!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 12:15 pm

Gorgeous! I am going to make this with the massive amount of blueberries I just purchased from the farmer’s market this week! Thanks for sharing!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Oh wow! I made ice cream recently and now have a bunch of left over whole milk and cream, and was just wondering which flavor I should make to use it up… :)
    I LOVE fruit and chocolate, so this looks perfect!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 1:33 pm

What a fun flavour! Love this idea…it’s so perfect for all the blueberries we have right now.

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 2:32 pm

I like that this ice creams are without eggs :) need to try it.

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Those cones are perfect! And gorgeous pictures as always!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Love your photos – so beautiful! And the ice cream just looks amazing – you are so talented!!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 5:01 pm

Look at that gorgeous deep violet color. I love it, Lindsay! We need a few scoops here in Austin to help beat the heat… Thanks for sharing!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Lindsay, I love your description of the blueberries’ color and these photos are just as pretty!

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 6:09 pm

Perfect timing! I just picked 4lbs of blueberries over the weekend and this gorgeous ice cream is now a must :)

Posted On August 5, 2013 at 7:00 pm

This is gorgeous – the color, so beautiful!!

And I think that plate was tailor-made for this photo shoot :)

Posted On August 6, 2013 at 3:22 am

I made some blueberry jam the other day and was really enjoying the divine smell coming from the pot. I can certainly say it’s probably my favourite berry.
    I also usually prefer custard based icecreams, but sometimes the simple ones are just more suitable for fruit icecreams. My favourit combo is cream-condensed milk-greek yogurt + any fruit that’s in season. Lovely and creamy, never gets too hard to scoop.
    Love the color of your icecream

Kate
    Posted On August 6, 2013 at 6:43 am

That makes me want icecream – and it is the middle of winter here in Australia! Is there a way to make it without an icecream maker? Thx

Posted On August 7, 2013 at 7:05 am

I love ice cream…. I never thought of putting chocolate in blueberry ice cream…. Good choice

Posted On August 7, 2013 at 8:31 am

I like these delicious ice cream which have shown in pictures,

Posted On August 7, 2013 at 11:07 am

Great looking and sounding recipe!

Posted On August 7, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Such a beautiful ice cream! Since eggs aren’t used, I bet it shaves off some calories, too. I’ll have to try these, as I’m running out of eggs and have a lovely carton of blueberries in the fridge!

Posted On August 8, 2013 at 8:01 am

Love the color on this ice cream!

Posted On August 9, 2013 at 1:10 pm

The kids will love this! And the blueberry purple looks amazing too!

Posted On August 13, 2013 at 8:14 am

That blueberry ice cream sounds amazing and what gorgeous colours!

Posted On August 13, 2013 at 9:59 pm

I am really loving blueberries lately! This ice cream looks incredible :)

Posted On August 15, 2013 at 3:53 pm

what an unbelievably gorgeous color! LOVE it

Posted On August 23, 2013 at 3:30 am

I love love lovee the colour of this. Blueberries give such a beautiful hue when they are cooked. Beautiful photo as always

Posted On September 19, 2013 at 7:09 pm

The first thing that drew me to this blog was the name: love & olive oil. Those two words pretty much describe my life, as all family gatherings involve a large table piled with food, and olive oil always plays a starring role. Another family tradition is eating giant bowls of Graeter’s black raspberry chip ice cream. While this recipe is for blueberry chocolate chip ice cream, the color is exactly the same and makes me feel nostalgic. The recipe seems pretty basic, but I’m sure I will have to make a WAY bigger batch to feed my family. I would love to try this recipe with some Blueberry Patch blueberries and see if it can compare to Black Raspberry Chip ice cream.