Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothies

Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothies

Folks, we have a serious crisis on our hands that involves a nationwide shortage of almond butter. Oh, the horror!

Trader Joe’s has taken to rationing the precious (and pricy) jars, ever since the widespread recall last fall, which apparently wiped out much of the supply. And since almonds only grow so fast, it’s taking a while to build up the stock. As a result, they limit you to two jars per customer only on Mondays and Wednesdays. And you better get there early because they only get one case at a time. (Hint: check behind the counter. The manager likes to play hard to get and often hides it there).

I told you it was serious.

Two months ago? I couldn’t have cared less. But once I became conscious that there was a shortage, thoughts of almond butter consumed me; all I wanted to do was to consume it. It was of the utmost importance that I get my hands on as much as possible, as quickly as possible. What do they say, you always want what you can’t have? True that.

That and I’ve also realized it is completely necessary for most excellent smoothies.

Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothies

This particular smoothie was inspired by a similar creation from the Juice Bar, an adorable new juice-joint just south of Nashville. For someone who was so adamantly opposed to liquid diets and drinkable meals of any kind, I have say their juices just might change my mind. The hearty dose of ginger in most of them doesn’t hurt either…

But I digress.

In addition to juices they also serve smoothies, including the satisfyingly filling “Blue Chocolatta,” complete with blueberries, almond butter, dates, and cocoa powder. While I (shockingly, considering my history) opted to leave out the cocoa powder in my version, you could most certainly add a few teaspoons for something extra special. But it doesn’t really need it, the blueberries and almond butter alone make for a decadent drink that’s practically a milkshake, rich and creamy and with just the perfect amount of sweetness from the dates.

Also? Peanut butter. If you can’t navigate the almond butter rationing system, you’d be surprised at how good this is with peanut butter instead of almond. A bit more potent, for sure, so you may want to decrease the amount, but blueberries and peanut butter are a surprisingly good combination. Who knew? Come to think of it, it’s technically the same concept as a peanut butter and jelly. Just, well, drinkable.

Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothies

Yield: 2 servings

Total Time: 5 minutes

• 1 banana, peeled
  • 1 cup frozen blueberries
  • 1/2 cup almond butter
  • 1/2 cup plain yogurt
  • 3/4 cup almond milk
  • 3 dates, pitted and quartered
  • 1 cup ice, or as needed

1. Combine all ingredients in a blender; purée on high speed until smooth. Add a few ice cubes and blend until it reaches your desired consistency.

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 7:17 am

Love the look of this smoothie for breakfast or a snack! Yum!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 7:24 am

But butters behind the manager’s desk. Who knew! Gorgeous smoothie and love the flavors going in there!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 7:48 am

Dates are a brilliant addition. Love this!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 7:54 am

I was walking past the grocery section of Target the other day and heard a girl down the aisle say, “Oh I love almond butter!” and her boyfriend reply, “Of course you do. It’s SEVEN DOLLARS.” Maybe she should make him this smoothie to convince him it’s worth every penny.

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 7:56 am

Love the addition of dates and the switch up of the usual peanut butter to almond! Looks so pretty, so good and sounds so awesome!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 8:03 am

I’m literally having a panic attack every time I open my jar of almond butter from TJs in the morning knowing it’s my last one. My store has absolutely NO almond butter. My brother’s store (2 hrs away) is only getting some varieties and like you said 1-2 cases a week max. It’s serious torture. These almonds better hurry the heck up!!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

I was wondering where the almond butter went!! Last time I was visiting my parents and went to Trader Joes, I told my mom that I thought it was so strange that the almond butter shelves were empty…and then I got upset because that meant that I, of course, needed almond butter!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 8:46 am

Gosh that looks super incredible!!! I can’t wait to try new smoothies when my blender arrives!!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 8:57 am

Woah, really? Had no idea there was a shortage! That’s nuts! … heh. I am a big fan of cashew butter lately though, so I’ll make do with that :)

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

Folks, have you ever thought of making your own almond butter? You will need a powerful blender but it’s totally worth it! You can make so much from scratch that way!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 9:39 am

An almond butter crisis?! What a terrible start to my weekend! How did I not know about this! Must stock up, if only for this recipe

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 10:54 am

I love the dates in this recipe. Plenty of room for variations such as using prunes.

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 11:00 am

Almond butter…an absolute fave.

La Torontoise
    Posted On July 19, 2013 at 11:02 am

Love blueberries!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 11:25 am

This is so beautiful and I’m sure is super delicious! I guess I know where to go if I need Almond butter… your house!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 11:52 am

Love this… it IS just like a milkshake!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 4:46 pm

So the almond butter at Trader Joe’s is good, huh? I’ve never tried it — I usually make my own from time to time or grab it quick at Whole Foods when I’m there. Now that there’s a shortage, I’ll start liking it, too. This smoothie sounds wonderful!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 5:03 pm

What a great flavor for smoothies! This looks so delicious and easy, Lindsay. Thanks for sharing!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 5:44 pm

Hah I had no idea about the almond butter shortage – too funny! Love the blueberry + almond combo in this smoothie.

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 8:03 pm

For some strange reason, I’ve been kind of scared to add any kind of butter to my smoothies but by looking at this post, I’m willing to try it and I want to try it with this recipe! It looks really good! Thank you for the post! :)

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 8:10 pm

This looks so good!! Love how you put almond butter in this smoothie too.. I was only expecting almond milk!

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 9:40 pm

Two jars per customer?! This is the first I’ve heard and I’m outraged! Haha. When the almond butter crisis was happening, I started stocking up on my beloved sunflower seed butter. Try it, you will fall in love.

Posted On July 19, 2013 at 10:42 pm

Yikes, never knew there was an almond butter emergency! This smoothie is all kinds of perfect!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 12:21 am

What a gorgeous smoothie! I used to eat smoothies every morning for breakfast but I kinda smoothied myself out so I’ve stopped recently. However, yours is the perfect twist to make me want to try them again!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 1:25 am

This has all my favorite ingredients…can’t wait to try it!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 5:33 am

I didn’t know the almond situation was so dire. Yikes! This smoothie sounds amazing.

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 8:23 am

I definitely need a stronger blendar! What a recipe.

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 11:23 am

This looks so delicious. I definitely bookmarked it and can’t wait to try.

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Goodness gracious, that’s crazy! Over here in LA, our Trader Joe’s are rationing COOKIE BUTTER! There’s a guy who comes into our TJs specifically and buys a whole case (or used to) and then sold the jars on EBAY! I mean, WHAT THE WHAT?! Craziness.

Anywho, about Almond Butter- why not make your own??? SO simple!!! And yummy to boot. I have a great recipe up should you want! http://www.sweetlavenderbakeshoppe.com/2013/05/why-not-make-yourself-some-almond-butter.html

Take care girl!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 1:13 pm

This smoothie is AMAZING!! But is very hard not to drink the whole thing alone. It needs to feed two!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

LOL! You are so right, now that I know there is a shortage (which explains a lot btw), almond butter is all I want to eat! Argh! In the event I fight through the crowds at my local TJ’s, I am absolutely making this smoothie!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 6:54 pm

This sounds delicious… and nourishing. Am a fan of your work!

Posted On July 20, 2013 at 10:15 pm

Yum! What a perfect flavor combination :) I can’t wait to make this for myself!

Posted On July 21, 2013 at 12:29 am

Just bought your second book because I love your first one so much!

Posted On July 22, 2013 at 12:27 pm

almond butter is my kryptonite!

Nessa
    Posted On July 23, 2013 at 5:33 pm

I love all the components of this smoothie!

Posted On July 31, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I’ve recently introduced smoothies to Elliott. He has decided he largely prefers food he can suck out of a straw or baby food pouch. He loves blueberries so I’ll have to try this combo on him!

Posted On August 7, 2013 at 7:24 am

This is a really nice way to get a lift after a walk or exercise, my partner whipped up a couple after our sunday ride and we both enjoyed them plus this smoothie is healthy, what more can you ask :)

Monique
    Posted On August 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm

OMG! This smootie is awsome…

Samantha
    Posted On October 16, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Can you substitute dried figs for dates? I have some left over in my cupboard and have no idea what to do with them…..

• Posted On October 16, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Yes, most definitely!

Karly
    Posted On January 20, 2014 at 5:53 pm

Make your own Almond Butter, it’s the easiest thing in the world and a possible shortage problem will never be an issue!

Jocelyn
    Posted On February 15, 2014 at 9:35 am

This taste pretty good, but WAY TOO many calories! 1/2 of a serving (1/4) of this recipe is well over 600 calories! I’d cut the almond butter in half, drop the dates, and add 1 cup per serving of spinach. If I realized up front how many calories this was I’d never had made it. This will teach me to count calories before purchasing all ingredients! :/

Posted On August 6, 2014 at 11:57 pm

Thank you for sharing this delicious looking smoothie that making me drool on my computer! Thanks… haha But looks tasty and can’t wait to make it this weekend.

Thanks for share,
    Tony

Laura
    Posted On August 19, 2014 at 9:31 am

Just made this smoothie. It’s delicious! Although I added what I had on hand: fresh/non-frozen blueberries, extra ice, ground flax, and dried figs rather than dates. Thanks for a new favorite!