Fresh Corn Ravioli with Herb Cream Sauce

Fresh Corn Ravioli with Herb Cream Sauce

I have a new favorite gadget.

A ravioli maker.

It makes pretty ravioli.

Unitasker shmunitasker. I like it and it was well worth the $14.

Homemade Corn Ravioli Pasta

Just put one 4×12-inch piece of dough on the base, push down with the press, fill with filling, then lay the second sheet of dough on top. Run a rolling pin over top to seal and separate the raviolis.

Prettiest ravioli you ever did see.

With a gadget like this homemade ravioli might become a more common occurrence.

Homemade Corn Ravioli Pasta

Our inaugural batch incorporated delicious sweet corn from our CSA, paired with some fresh herbs and ricotta cheese. Very simple, fresh, and satisfying. We topped it with a surprisingly light white wine, cream, and herb sauce.

The recipe made way more than two people could reasonably eat. That’s another great thing about ravioli: for about the same amount of work you get 2 or 3 meals worth. And they freeze fantastically – just arrange them on a baking sheet sprinkled with some cornmeal or semolina flour, freeze them overnight, then transfer them to a dated and labeled zip top back. Pull them out whenever you need a quick meal. Fabulous, I tell you!

Fresh Corn Ravioli with Herb Cream Sauce

As a real shortcut, you could always use wonton wrappers to make super quick ravioli. They come out a little bit slimy, but still pretty darn good.

Fresh Corn Ravioli with Herb Cream Sauce

Yield: 4 to 5 servings (about 36 ravioli)

For Pasta Dough:
1 3/4 cup "00" flour or all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
1/2 tablespoon water (or more or less as needed)

For Filling:
2 cups corn kernels (cut from about 3 ears)
2/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
1 egg
2 tablespoons heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano

For Sauce:
1/2 cup white wine
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup cream
1/4 cup chopped mixed herbs (parsley, oregano, and basil)

To prepare pasta dough by hand, on a flat surface, sift the flour into a large pile; make a well in the center roughly the size of your fist. Add eggs to well along with 1/2 tablespoon of water and salt. With a fork, whisk the eggs, gradually incorporating the flour. Add more flour or water as needed, a teaspoon at a time, to form a firm dough. Knead dough for 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth.

Or, to make it with a stand mixer or food processor, place flour and salt in the work bowl. Add eggs and mix on medium speed or pulse until dough comes together in a ball. Switch to the dough hook/attachment and knead for 1 to 2 minutes, adding more water or flour as needed, a teaspoon at a time, to form a firm dough. Transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead by hand for 1 to 2 minutes or until smooth.

Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and let rest for 30 minutes before rolling out by hand or with a pasta roller and cutting into desired shape.

To prepare filling, place corn kernels in a food processor and pulse once or twice until coarsely chopped. Transfer to a bowl and stir in ricotta cheese, egg, cream, salt, pepper, and herbs.

To assemble ravioli, divide dough into quarters and roll each out into thin sheets with a pasta roller (I went up to the "6" thickness on my pasta attachment). Drop 1 teaspoon of filling into the center of each ravioli, spacing the centers evenly about 2-inches apart. Moisten the edges with water, and top with a second sheet of pasta dough and press to seal; cut apart using a ravioli cutter, or a knife and crimp edges with a fork to thoroughly seal. Ravioli can be made up to a day ahead of time; arrange in a single layer on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and sprinkled with cornmeal or semolina flour. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to cook. You can also freeze them in a similar way; transfer them to a zip top bag after completely frozen.

Working in batches, boil ravioli for 7 to 8 minutes (add 2 to 3 minutes if cooking from frozen) or until tender. Transfer with a slotted spoon to serving dishes, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water.

To prepare sauce, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add wine and simmer until reduced slightly, about 2 minutes. Add cream and butter and simmer until thickened, 3 to 5 minutes, whisking constantly to prevent cream from scorching. If needed, add reserved pasta water, 1 teaspoon at a time, until sauce is the consistency of thick cream. Stir in chopped herbs. Spoon over ravioli and top with parmesan cheese, if desired.

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 2:49 pm

man, this makes me want to get one now!! ok, so i double read the post to make sure you didn’t say anything about this before i asked…but what is “00″ flour? i know you said you can use all purpose, but I’m curious as to what “00″ is :)

• Posted On July 24, 2012 at 2:59 pm

It’s an extra fine Italian flour that was made for pasta-making. Produces a really smooth and pliable dough. We get it at an Italian specialty shop down the street, but looks like King Arthur sells it and so does Amazon. :)

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I just got a pasta roller attachment I’ve been lusting over for my KA mixer, and I almost picked up the ravioli maker at Williams-Sonoma the last time I was browsing around at the mall. Now I think I have to go back and grab it! The perfect excuse to play with new toys!

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That is simply beautiful. I love ravioli, but don’t have a press like the one you have. I just do it by hand. Yours are so much prettier! Perhaps the corn I got in my CSA box today has a grander purpose than simply getting boiled and slathered in butter.

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Want, want, want! And it hardly takes up *any* room. I could so easily talk myself into this…

Gorgeous Lindsay, as ever!

• Katherine
      Posted On July 25, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Ah, but you need a pasta maker to get the pasta really thin. Or I do. Still, jolly yummy.

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I’ve been thinking about buying one myself – and quite lucky, in the UK, it’s easy to find pasta flour at local grocery shops!

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 4:08 pm

This is positively lovely! Yum!

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm

Ohh! That’s what my kitchen is missing! A ravioli maker! SO COOL! There are so many ravioli possibilities waiting for me to get one now! This one definitely looks delicious!

xo Kayla

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I just died 8,000 glorious deaths.

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 5:08 pm

that looks so yummy and super easy to make!!!!

margie/mom
    Posted On July 24, 2012 at 7:48 pm

Won ton wrappers definitely make slimy ravioli and not as easy as you would think! Since I do not have a pasta maker, is there any way to take care of that part (short of buying a pasta attachment for my KA) before I go out and buy a ravioli maker so I can make perfect raviolis like yours.
    Nothing beats Olathe (CO) Sweet Corn, in season now!

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 8:08 pm

LOVE THIS! I’m so hungry just looking at how perfect these ravioli look. I love corn and pasta so I’m loving this!

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 9:44 pm

wow that is so amazing! I am definitely going to be purchasing one of these next time I make an amazon order. Its a great deal for easier meals. I make ravoili all the time and it takes so much time without a great gadget like this. thanks for the recipe and thanks for the recommendation!

Posted On July 24, 2012 at 10:15 pm

What lovely ravioli! Corn and cheese sounds like a delicious combination, and the sauce seems quite versatile. Your ravioli maker is a great investment for the price!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 6:56 am

That is an awesome gadget!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 8:39 am

Ravioli makers are a thing?! I thought it was all done by hand. Well! That is definitely worth the $14, then. :) This looks absolutely delicious–yay for fresh corn!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 8:45 am

I need to get a ravioli maker! Homemade pasta is a very untapped world for me and I’d love to start experimenting with it. I’ve been going on a corn bender lately so your recipe sounds phenomenal to me!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

Wow, that looks incredible! Corn is my absolute favorite ingredient! Plus, I’m officially convinced I need a ravioli maker.

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 9:28 am

This looks so delicious, so light and fresh for a summertime dinner!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 9:39 am

Wow. That looks melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 10:24 am

I never made homemade pasta, it looks wonderful. I love the cream sauce and corn combination.

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 10:29 am

These are the prettiest ravioli I have ever seen!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 10:59 am

This makes me really want some homemade pasta! I wish I had one of those pasta makers. That is going on my birthday list, right now.

Cheryl
    Posted On July 25, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I looked for this ravioli maker on line-Amazon also. There are soo many brands and none for around $14 that I saw. Who is the manufacturer of yours? Cheryl

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Love! I need to get my hands on that ravioli maker!

Posted On July 25, 2012 at 7:50 pm

This is amazing! I need to get me one of those! I’ve only ever made fresh pasta from scratch once, and it was just pretty simple spaghetti. It’d be great to be able to make ravioli though, think of all of the amazing fillings you could change it up with every time!

Kaitlin
    Posted On July 25, 2012 at 8:29 pm

These sound incredible! I’ve seen those ravioli makers before but never understood how they worked. It looks like a great tool!

Posted On July 26, 2012 at 8:15 am

Well, I think I need that ravioli maker. I’m actually pretty sure of it!

Posted On July 26, 2012 at 11:02 pm

On Fridays, I share my favorite food finds in a series called Food Fetish Friday – and I love this post so I’m featuring it as part of today’s roundup (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and I’m happy to be following along with your creations…

Posted On July 27, 2012 at 1:59 pm

This pasta looks SO good. And that cream sauce – just amazing!!

Posted On July 29, 2012 at 11:03 am

What a gorgeous ravioli! I can’t wait to try it!

Posted On July 29, 2012 at 1:10 pm

OK, another gadget I *must* have. :) Sigh! The list grows.

Great looking dish, btw.

Posted On July 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

These are so pretty & I keep thinking about these ever since you posted this…and how I just need to suck it up and make fresh pasta! The ravioli gadget just went into my cart!

Posted On August 1, 2012 at 1:17 pm

I really need one of those fancy do dads for ravioli.

Posted On August 2, 2012 at 3:46 pm

This ravioli looks like perfection! I definitely want to buy that gadget…

Maranda R.%ws
    Posted On August 9, 2012 at 7:08 pm

This may be a silly question but should we cook the corn before adding it to the filling? I really want to make this, but I’m afraid to guess on that. Thanks! :)

• Posted On August 9, 2012 at 9:07 pm

Nope! Fresh sweet corn barely needs any cooking time at all, which it gets when the ravioli is boiled. :)

Posted On August 24, 2012 at 9:20 am

So, this recipe looks amazing! And I’m dying to try it. But… Do you think a cheap $1 store ice tray might work just as well as that fancy ravioli maker? I mean, minus the cute little clean cut edges and all… I’m all about finding cheap gadgets I have around the house to multitask for me ;)

Christina S
    Posted On September 19, 2012 at 5:27 am

Just wondering if the sauce is at all freezable?

• Posted On September 19, 2012 at 8:31 am

Hmm. You could try, although the sauce separates quite easily so it may end up a curdled mess when you thaw it.

Christine
    Posted On August 10, 2013 at 8:38 am

Is the corn used in the recipe cooked and then cut from the cob? It seems to me the corn, if raw, wouldn’t cook in the time the pasta does.

• Christine
      Posted On August 10, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Never mind. .. The answer is right above in the comments section. :-)

Jayshree
    Posted On April 27, 2014 at 7:25 pm

How to make ravioli without eggs as i am vegetarian

• Posted On April 28, 2014 at 7:53 am

Eggs are considered vegetarian, so this recipe is doable as is. If you were vegan, you’d need to replace the eggs, butter, cream, and cheese, so you’d probably be better off finding a different recipe altogether. I’ve never made pasta without eggs, so I’m unable to offer any advice for you, sorry!