Trout with Warm Pine-Nut Dressing and Fennel Puree

Trout with Warm Pine-Nut Dressing and Fennel Puree

This was an interesting one, that’s for sure. I’m not sure why it caught my eye to begin with, it’s definitely not a recipe I’d typically pick out of a lineup. But I saw the words fennel and pine-nut and kind of got excited. It sounded… I don’t know, fancy. Don’t tell me warm pine nut dressing doesn’t sound like something special?

I admit, I had my doubts. Mainly the fact that the main ingredient in the dressing is porcini mushroom juice, the pungent liquid left over after rehydrating dried mushrooms. It does not smell good. But somehow, it all came together, stinky mushroom juice and all.

I particularly liked the fennel puree, which could serve as a substitute for mashed potatoes in just about any situation. Though I am always slightly disappointed that the fennel flavor almost always cooks out, it’s never as potent as I would’ve liked. Maybe next time I’ll add in some fennel seeds at the end to really bring that flavor to the forefront.

Trout with Warm Pine-Nut Dressing and Fennel Puree

Yield: 4 servings

1 medium fennel bulb, cut into thin wedges
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons canola oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms (about 1/4 ounce)
1/2 cup boiling water
1/4 cup pine nuts, preferably Italian
1 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
4 trout fillets, about 4 ounces each, pin bones removed
2 ounces mesclun or baby spinach

Preheat the oven to 425ºF. Arrange the fennel wedges and 5 of the garlic cloves on a 12-inch sheet of foil and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the canola oil. Fold the foil into a packet and roast for about 45 minutes, until the packet is sizzling and the fennel and garlic are tender. Transfer the fennel and garlic to a food processor and puree until smooth; season with salt and pepper.

Meanwhile, in a microwave-safe container, combine the dried porcini with the boiling water. Microwave on high power for 2 minutes, until the porcini are plumped. In a medium skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add the pine nuts and the remaining 1 clove of garlic and cook over moderate heat until the nuts are golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and strain the porcini liquid into the skillet, stopping before you reach the grit at the bottom. (Reserve the porcini for another use.) Add the balsamic vinegar and simmer over moderate heat until the liquid is reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 5 minutes; discard the garlic. Add 2 tablespoons of the oil and season the dressing with salt and pepper.

Heat the remaining 2 teaspoons of oil in a large nonstick skillet. Season the trout fillets with salt and pepper. Add one fillet at a time to the skillet, skin side down; press with a spatula to flatten for 30 seconds. Repeat with the remaining fillets until the pan is full. Cook over moderately high heat until the trout is browned on the bottom and nearly cooked through, about 3 minutes. Flip the fish and cook for 30 seconds longer.

Spread the fennel puree on plates and top with the trout. Drizzle half of the dressing on top. Add the greens to the remaining dressing in the skillet and toss to coat. Mound the greens on the fish and serve.

Recipe from Food & Wine.

Posted On November 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm

I have to say, I could drink stinky mushroom juice by the pitcher. But does that surprise you much?

so. making. this.

Posted On November 7, 2011 at 7:25 pm

This sounds like an amazing combination of flavours! I pretty much love all the ingredients mentioned, especially fennel and pine nuts… must try this one, thanks!

Posted On November 7, 2011 at 7:26 pm

I’d completely go for this. That puree sounds incredible!

Posted On November 7, 2011 at 8:48 pm

Mmm, trout. We have some lakes with trout close to where I grew up, and nothing beats the fresh-caught ones :)
    Love the fennel use, it’s so under-appreciated!

Posted On November 7, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Every time I come back to the mountains I try to eat as much trout as possible! This looks heavenly!

Posted On November 8, 2011 at 12:08 am

Love fennel! This looks delicious!

Posted On November 8, 2011 at 2:46 am

I eat trout every week because we have a trout farmer that comes to the market every Friday with the freshest fish I have ever seen. We alternate ruby trout and white trout and try to cook it in different ways every time. This recipe is surely next on my list, I just love the matching of flavors and the soft colors. Thanks for sharing this!

Posted On November 8, 2011 at 4:05 am

Fennel and white fish is such a delicious combination – I often roast fish on top of slices of fennel and baby tomatoes, but love the idea of a puree too. Glad the recipe came together in the end!

Posted On November 8, 2011 at 5:35 pm

It’s funny how different recipes speak to different people. I would definitely have picked this one out, I love vegetable purees but I’ve never tried to puree fennel. I will try this for sure, you photo is beautiful.

Posted On November 8, 2011 at 7:10 pm

trout is my new favorite fish – and who doesn’t love pine nuts??

PS. star anise might help with the anise/fennel flavor of the puree, no?

Posted On November 10, 2011 at 6:11 pm

You mean I’ll have to switch up my trout regimen from trout almandine? Thank god. I had a pasta last night with a porcini dusting, like grated dried porcini, with a fried egg on top. I wonder if that would translate to this dish. Obviously I’m still thinking about it. Beaut pic BTW.

Posted On November 13, 2011 at 11:33 am

beautiful photo. delicious food. I will try for sure!

Posted On November 13, 2011 at 2:25 pm

you had me at fennel puree, I love fennel and my dad fishes all the time so there is a pretty constant flow of trout in my house, I cant wait to try this recipe!

Posted On November 14, 2011 at 8:11 pm

So many ingredients that I never use – and they sound like a feast! I can’t remember the last time I had trout, and I think I know exactly how I am going to cook it next time I do. Thank you!

Posted On November 15, 2011 at 10:34 am

This look so incredible and like such a great departure from my go-to fish recipes. Thanks for the inspiration!