Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwiches with Poppy Seed Spread

Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwiches with Poppy Seed Spread

The hardest part about Thanksgiving for me is remembering that we still have to eat in the days leading up to the big event. In our frenzied meal-planning we often times forget about the rest of the week, and are left scrounging the cabinets for something to eat. Which usually ends up being popcorn and waffles or some other unlikely combination.

That’s where meals like this come in. Quick. Simple. Healthy. Perfect to whip up while your cranberry sauce is simmering or your pie crust is chilling. And much more filling than waffles.

While it may sound like an unusual combination, sweet potato and avocado together make for one heck of a sandwich. But the real proof that this recipe is a keeper is that I’ve posted it before. A Love & Olive Oil classic, if you will, and I figured that since most of you weren’t around way back in March of 2007 (yes, that’s like ancient times in blog-years), you’d appreciate the resurrection.

And you know what? It’d make a pretty good after-Thanksgiving meal too… throw on some turkey and maybe use up those leftover sweet potatoes too.

Hope everyone has a delightful (and delicious) Thanksgiving holiday!

Sweet Potato and Avocado Sandwiches with Poppy Seed Spread

Yield: 2 servings

1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon honey

For Spread:
1 tablespoon honey mustard (or 2 teaspoons dijon mustard plus 2 teaspoons honey)
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
1/4 tsp poppy seeds

To Assemble:
4 slices whole wheat bread
4 red onion slices, cut 1/8-inch thick (optional)
1/2 avocado cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
4 tomato slices, cut 1/4-inch thick
1/2 cup baby lettuce or herb salad mix

Toss sweet potato slices in a few tablespoons each of olive oil and honey. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook slices in a 350 degree oven until tender, about 15 minutes, flipping slices half way through.

To prepare spread, whisk together honey mustard, mayonnaise, vinegar, and poppy seeds in a small bowl.

To assemble, spread half the poppy seed mixture on 2 of the bread slices, then place half of the onion, avocado, and tomato slices on top of each slice; sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Add a layer of sweet potato slices and lettuce. Top with remaining bread. Cut in half, securing with a toothpick.

Adapted from Epicurious.

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 4:51 pm

Oh yes! I love that combination by… now! As soon as I get my hands on some good avocados, well and a sweet potatoe, this will be my choice. Hope this time comes soon. I already longing for it.

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Haha, that first sentence is SO true. It was so hard for me this week to realize we still had 4 days before Thanksgiving so that meant 4 dinners to do — wait, whatttt?! lol

The spread looks delicious! I love honey mustard and poppy seeds :) avocados are my best friend! Thanks for sharing this and I hope you & Taylor have a wonderful Thanksgiving! :)

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Wow! I never would have guessed to pair these flavors/foods together, but good lord, it looks delicious! Genius!

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 5:18 pm

You are so right – we spend so much time planning and prepping that we forget to actually eat leading up the main event. This sandwich sounds amazing. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving full of laughter, love and great food.

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 5:54 pm

i’m going to have to try this with my sweet potato leftovers! i’m gonna need something light like this after thursday!

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Loving the sammie idea with the sweet potatoes and that poppy seed spread…YUM!

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Thank you—I’ve been living on apples for the past few days!

Posted On November 23, 2011 at 9:26 pm

If this is an unusual combination, I must be 100% unusual — you’ve just put two of my all-time favorite foods together in a sandwich, which is my favorite type of food! THIS IS HEAVEN.

Posted On November 24, 2011 at 12:40 am

I sure have enjoyed your posts these few months. Being a vegetarian this looks great! I look forward to next year and your posts. Have a nice Thanksgiving.

Posted On November 24, 2011 at 4:31 am

Hope you guys have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Posted On November 24, 2011 at 4:39 am

This looks like a lovely combination – that sweet potato, creamy avocado and crunchy poppy seeds. And a nice break from turkey for thanksgiving! :-)

Posted On November 24, 2011 at 9:04 am

How interesting, Ive never had sweet potato on bread! Sounds wonderful though.

Posted On November 25, 2011 at 12:33 pm

Oh these look so delicious! I love interesting sandwiches, especially vegetarian ones, obviously! Yum!

Posted On November 26, 2011 at 2:12 pm

Where did you find those gorgeous looking tomatoes at this time of year?
    I love your blog. It is so beautiful.

Posted On November 26, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Wow… potatoes in a sandwich??? I’m blown away. I totally approve of the flavour combinations you have going here. Thanks for opening up my eyes to something different :)

Caroline
    Posted On November 26, 2011 at 9:16 pm

Another really great albeit similar combination is avocado, sweet potato, green apple, and hummus sandwich. I had it in a cafe in Harvard Square, recreated it at home, and wow! It is really great!

Posted On December 6, 2011 at 2:00 pm

This is my kind of sandwich!! Never would have thought to put sweet potato on a bun but I can’t wait to try it!

Posted On December 16, 2011 at 5:26 pm

When I had a friend here helping me prep Thanksgiving, I warned her that I usually forget to eat the day of and end up scooping out some mashed potatoes or eating pieces of hard bread for stuffing. She went out and bought a sandwich… though this looks much better :)

tricia
    Posted On January 5, 2012 at 11:05 am

a coffee shop close to where i live in boston makes the same sandwich. it is amazing!

Kellyn
    Posted On April 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

As a vegetarian for 11 years, I can say that I’m sick of hummus sandwiches and aching for something new. Love this recipe! For simplicity, I just used deli mustard instead of the spread listed and it was still amazing. Thank you!

Posted On August 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

This was so super yummy. Thanks!

Shinae
    Posted On September 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

This is so tasty! (Pardon my talking with my mouth full!) The flavors are so great – complimentary yet none gets lost. Mm! This is the 3rd recipe I have tried of yours, and I am a fan! Thank you for using your creativity to create good things. And thank you for sharing them with all of us. =)