Peach Gazpacho

Peach Gazpacho

This soup is the pits. To clarify, the soup itself is a cool and refreshing summertime concoction, probably more smoothie than soup. And quite delicious. But tastiness is easily ruined by a stray peach pit. Maybe I was distracted by the 12 other things I was trying to do at the same time, but somehow a pit made it’s way into the blender. I thought it sounded a bit… loud… when I was blending it, but didn’t think anything of it at the time. But as we ate, the rock hard bits a jarring surprise in an otherwise silky smooth puree, I knew I had made a big mistake. We ate the rest of our summer soup very slowly, sloshing it around and removing any stray pit pieces before swallowing.

If anything, this proves the power of the VitaMix. It pulverized that pit to pieces in a matter of seconds.

(And yes, I googled and tweeted to make sure we weren’t going to die as a result. Peach pits do contain trace amounts of cyanide, after all. Luckily, we’re still here. I think we would have had to eat about 50 entire pits before feeling any sort of ill-effects.)

The next day we strained the leftovers through a sieve, removing an extraordinary amount of peach pit pieces. So many pieces that it couldn’t have been just a rogue piece of pit stuck to the flesh. I was positive that an entire pit had made it’s way into the blender (I still can’t wrap my head around how that happened, but it did). It’s definitely a dish worth making, especially in this oppressive heat (no cooking involved!) and because peaches are in season right now and are absolutely divine. Just keep an eye on your pits, and make sure they end up in the trash, where they belong.

Peach Gazpacho

Makes 4-6 servings. Recipe from Martha Stewart.

1/2 to 3/4 cup water
6 ripe peaches (about 2 1/2 pounds), peeled, halved, pitted, and cut into chunks
1/2 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into chunks
1 small garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon champagne vinegar, plus more to taste
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley or cilantro
Garnish: finely chopped red bell pepper and Hass avocado

Pulse 1/2 cup water, the peaches, cucumber, garlic, vinegar, oil, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a food processor until coarsely pureed. Thin with more water if desired. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Season with vinegar, salt, and pepper. Stir in herbs. Garnish with bell pepper and avocado. Drizzle with oil, and sprinkle with salt.

Posted On August 14, 2010 at 2:31 pm

What a gorgeous photo (and a great use of peaches!)

Posted On August 14, 2010 at 7:15 pm

This looks great!

Posted On August 14, 2010 at 7:17 pm

intriguing. i can imagine all those flavors together in my mind, and it sounds like a very successful soup. especially with an avocado garnish! summer in a bowl.

cheers,

*heather*

Posted On August 15, 2010 at 5:26 am

Yeah, that must be a powerful blender. If I makes you feel better, I made a similar error whilst using my mother-in-laws food processor. I blended a soup in it, not realising I had left the blade guard on. It melted nicely. Whoops!

Posted On August 15, 2010 at 5:26 am

Oh and ps the soup sounds delicious :)

Posted On August 15, 2010 at 7:09 am

Yum!!! That looks really fantastic. And bright. And summery. Your VitaMix must be something else, if I had put a pit in my old blender I cannot imagine what disaster I would have had on my hands… anyway, I’ll be extra careful because I am known to “forget” pits and the likes attached to fruit before cooking it…

Posted On August 15, 2010 at 7:53 am

Yum, this looks delicious

margie/mom
    Posted On August 15, 2010 at 8:41 am

We watched a spy type NETFLIX movie last night where a guy destroyed his cell phone, on purpose, in the garbage disposal! Tee hee. I will have to try this soup as we have an abundance of very ripe Palisade peaches now!

Posted On August 15, 2010 at 7:03 pm

VitaMixes are intense things. If that pit had made it into my blender, it would have come out still whole I’m pretty sure. The gazpacho looks so refreshing!

Posted On August 16, 2010 at 9:22 am

What a beautiful color. I was at a N. Ohio wine tasting and food event and they had a dish with scoop of mango sorbet and a pour of cold cantelope soup over it. Refreshing and delicious. I was so curious about your peach pit and cyanide info, I too googled it. I had no idea that apple and peach seeds have cyanide. I have seen people eat apple seeds. But then again, it appears that the smokers get more cyanide from smoking everyday than on stray seed in soup.

Posted On August 16, 2010 at 10:42 am

I’m really liking all these fruit gazpachos popping up lately. I’m not a fan of the tomato one, but throw some fruit in the mix and I’m all ears :) Looks delicious…love the color!

Posted On August 16, 2010 at 6:20 pm

i can’t wait to try this!

Posted On August 17, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I love the vibrant color of this soup, yum. Too bad about the pit, though, how frustrating.