Strawberry Pomegranate Sorbet

Strawberry Pomegranate Sorbet

As much as I love ice cream, sometimes a sorbet is much more satisfying. I don’t think there is such a thing as a sorbet that is not refreshing; it’s in their nature. And as the temperatures slowly climb with the humidity not far behind, nothing feels better than pulling a tupperware full of frozen fruity goodness out of the freezer.

A word of warning: I am taking full advantage of strawberry season. And chances are the recipes you’ll see on the blog in the next month or so will reflect that. So I hope you like strawberries.

Little kitty likes strawberries, too!

Little kitty likes strawberries. And if you don’t like strawberries, little kitty doesn’t like you very much.

This recipe is not your typical strawberry sorbet. I still had a few bottles of POM Wonderful pomegranate juice, and while they make an excellent addition to our morning smoothies, I wanted to put it to better (and more interesting) uses. Pomegranate goes with strawberries, right? Heck yes.

The result is a sweet and slightly tangy sorbet. Not quite strawberry and not quite pomegranate. With a hint of lemon. And, oh yes, topped with chocolate covered pomegranate seeds (a recent Trader Joe’s find… and I have to say, delicious). You could top it with fresh pomegranate seeds as well.

And don’t forget! Local Nashville folks should stop by the Sweet Relief food blogger bake sale for flood relief this Saturday (May 29) from 1:30 till 4, at the Green Wagon in East Nashville (1100 Forrest Ave). I’ll be there, with two tasty flavors of cupcakes in tow. Get there early for the best selection! All proceeds benefit Second Harvest. More Information.

Strawberry Pomegranete Sorbet

Makes about 3 cups.

1 cup sugar
1 cup pomegranate juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
3 cups (about 1 lb) fresh strawberries

Combine sugar and juice in a medium saucepan. Stir over medium heat until sugar is completely dissolved.

In a small dish, whisk together cornstarch and lemon juice. Add to pomegranate mixture. Bring to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.

Wash and trim strawberries. Puree in a blender or food processor until smooth. Transfer to a heat-proof bowl. Slowly pour in warm pomegranate mixture, stirring to combine, and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate. When mixture is thoroughly chilled, freeze in ice cream maker according to manufacturers directions. Transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until firm.

Posted On May 27, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Lindsay – this looks so incredibly refreshing and what a terrific way to use POM! This is a must make! Hope you are doing well!

Posted On May 27, 2010 at 11:11 pm

What a wonderful flavor combination. It looks so delicious and fresh! Can’t wait to break out the ice cream maker for this!

Posted On May 28, 2010 at 12:50 am

Making my mouth water as I type!

Posted On May 28, 2010 at 5:19 am

Strawberry sorbet is my favorite… I’m sure that it’s even better with the addition of pomegranate. I wonder if I’ll be able to find it around here…

Posted On May 28, 2010 at 7:37 am

Does your kitty eat the strawberry greens? I caught one of ours devouring strawberry tops last weekend…silly kitty!

• Posted On May 28, 2010 at 8:08 am

He probably would have if I had let him. :) I know big kitty has tried to take a nibble on the greens as well. Odd, doesn’t seem like something they’d like!

Posted On May 28, 2010 at 9:53 am

Sounds delicious!

Posted On May 28, 2010 at 11:43 am

Oh yum. So simple and delicious. And thanks for the heads up about chocoalte covered pom seeds at TJ! I’m on the hunt!

Nicole Kern
    Posted On May 28, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Every time I look at this website I first drool, and then become extremely envious of your cooking ability!!! I wish I had the time and the skillz to cook something awesome every night! Maybe next year’s New Year’s resolution‚Ķ..hope you guys are well!

Emily
    Posted On May 28, 2010 at 5:36 pm

Ooh this looks really good! Perfect and refreshing for the upcoming hot weather. Quick question: I noticed that in the directions it doesn’t call for straining the strawberry seeds. Did they bother you in the sorbet at all?

• Posted On May 28, 2010 at 6:12 pm

I didn’t notice the seeds, but if they bother you, feel free to strain them. Then again, we blended them in a VitaMix so chances are the seeds were completely pulverized. Haha. :)

Posted On May 29, 2010 at 10:29 pm

doing an internet search and landed here. thanks for all of your kind words about sky high. did you ever make it out to the loveless? working on my second book, check it out downhomedesserts.blogspot.com
    alisa

Posted On May 30, 2010 at 3:44 pm

That looks so refreshing – perfect for a hot summer day.

Posted On May 31, 2010 at 9:23 am

What a precious kitty sneaking a smell of those luscious strawberries!

Posted On May 31, 2010 at 10:56 am

How beautiful!! My ice cream maker is arriving tomorrow and I have a list of ice creams and sorbets I absolutely need to make!! This just landed the list :)

Miss Derin
    Posted On June 1, 2010 at 11:10 am

I made this sorbet this weekend for a cookout with friends. It was a total hit with the kids and adults. Super easy and I love that it was only 5 ingredients! :)

Josh
    Posted On June 2, 2010 at 11:14 am

What kind of ice cream maker do you have? I have been looking for one but need some real world reviews. Thanks.

• Posted On June 2, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Ours is actually the KitchenAid mixer ice cream attachment. Seems to work well, and takes up less space than a whole machine. :)

Posted On June 2, 2010 at 9:31 pm

Like strawberries? I love strawberries! Keep the recipes coming.

Posted On June 3, 2010 at 9:53 am

I LOVE the picture of Sgt checking out the strawberries. He’s just so darn cute!

Donna
    Posted On April 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Delicious. Made it and went to TJ’s to get the chocolate covered pom seeds too. Absolutely heavenly. Thanks for sharing!