Chocolate Covered Cream Eggs

Homemade Cadbury Cream Egg Recipe

Oh yes I did.

Something I’ve been meaning to do for a while. I’ve had this recipe bookmarked… but haven’t had the guts to actually do it. Well I did it… I did it alright. I think I’ll do it again too. And again. And again.

Granted, the closest I could scrounge up for an ‘egg’ shape was a cheap plastic egg tray from Kroger. A real egg-shaped candy mold would have been ideal; but I didn’t have the time to hunt one down. So I made the most of what I had. You can use whatever you’d like; be it a deviled egg tray, a real egg candy mold, or even mini cupcake cups. Use whatever you can find. Because you have to make these.

Homemade Cadbury Cream Eggs

I know there are many of you out there who probably despise Cadbury eggs. I get it. While I say I love them, I usually splurge on one or two the instant they appear in the stores, typically the day after Valentine’s day. I eat them, chug a glass of water, and that’s it. Two is usually enough and I’m out for the count. To call them sickeningly sweet would be an understatement.

Well let me tell you, cream-egg-haters, I think you’ll like these; no, I think you’ll LOVE these. It’s all about the math: these homemade versions have a much higher chocolate to cream ratio, and that, paired with a rich, dark chocolate – I could eat a handful of these without a second thought. Taylor too. In fact, he politely requested I hand over the whole container (I didn’t). And he’s usually the one to scoff at my seasonal indulgence.

And yes, I realize these have corn syrup in them, and corn syrup is evil, blah blah blah. Let me reiterate the “seasonal indulgence” part. It’s Easter. Cream eggs are allowed. The bunny said so. And if you’re going to eat a corn syrup filled egg, why not make it a homemade corn syrup filled egg? At least then you know what ELSE is going (or not going) into it.

Chocolate Covered Cream Eggs

Makes about 2 dozen (or so). Adapted from here.

1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
4 drops yellow food coloring
1-2 drops red food coloring

1 (12 ounce) chocolate chips of your choice (I used dark chocolate, feel free to use semi-sweet or milk chocolate, up to you!)
2 teaspoons vegetable shortening

Combine the corn syrup, butter, vanilla and salt in a large bowl. Beat well with an electric mixer until smooth. Add powdered sugar, a little bit at at time and mix by hand after each addition. Mix until creamy.

Remove about 1/3 of the sugar mixture and place in a small bowl. Add the food coloring and mix well. Cover both mixtures and chill for at least 2 hours or until firm and workable.

Combine the chocolate chips and shortening in a double boiler or ceramic bowl. Slowly melt, stirring gently, until mixture is smooth.

Prepare an egg candy mold (or you can also used a deviled egg plate lightly greased with shortening).

Thinly coat the inside of the mold with chocolate coating. Refrigerate or freeze until set.

Carefully press a layer of white filling into the mold (you may need to grease your hands - this stuff is sticky!) followed by a small oval of orange, and another layer of white. Spread inside mold. Top with more chocolate filling and refrigerate or freeze until completely set before removing from molds. Repeat with remaining chocolate and filling.

Alternatively, you can also roll a small, marble size from the orange filling. Wrap a small amount of the white filling around the orange. Form into the shape of eggs and place on a lightly greased cookie sheet. Chill for at least 4 hours, or until set, and then coat each cream center with chocolate.

margie/mom
    Posted On April 2, 2010 at 12:10 am

Dad says, “WOW”. I say, “you better save some of these or be prepared to make us more!”

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 2:20 am

WOW! AMAZING! You are so talented!

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 2:41 am

I love these delish eggs …i jus made my own egg cookie cutter coz i could find none at any stores around and it was way to late to order and so enjoyed the cookie cutter , and shot it too with the rest of the cookies for the easter basket post:-))))

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 6:39 am

How did you know the first thing I thought was “oh no you didn’t”? But I’m so glad you did – these look delicious.

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 6:57 am

I love them!! This year is the first year I’ve appreciated the wonder that is the cream egg so I definitely want to make these. I hope I can find the time. It’s okay to make them after Easter, right? :)

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 7:29 am

I love them…. they look so delicious and easy to make following your recipe. Im a secret chocoholoic and just can’t resist this temptation. Javane

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 8:08 am

I’m a HUGE Cadbury creme egg fan, but I’m with you – one or two per year and I can’t do more. In fact, I haven’t had mine yet this year…hmm.

This recipe look amazing!

Wendy
    Posted On April 2, 2010 at 8:43 am

I am going to try to give these a try in the next few days. I LOVE cadburry eggs. I buy one every time I go to the grocery store, if I can find one. I figure they are only available once a year and one a week isn’t bad as a small indulgence.

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 11:47 am

Oh, wow. These look perfect! I am the same way about eating one or two eggs per season – or maybe a couple around Valentine’s Day and then a couple more around Easter before they disappear again – because they are just too sweet. But these look like a great compromise of chocolate and creme, easy on the filling. Yum! Now, I prefer the orange creme eggs, so maybe I can play with this recipe to make it orange flavored?

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 1:12 pm

Liz – I bet it’d be super easy to add a few drops of extract and/or orange zest to the filling. Go for it! It’d be delicious! :)

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 1:21 pm

When I was a kid I used to bit the top off a cream egg, pour or scoop out most of the filling, then eat the chocolate and just a little bit of filling. As an adult I’ve just given up on cream eggs because they are about a thousand times too sweet. But these look great! fantastic idea!

Lindsay
    Posted On April 2, 2010 at 3:35 pm

I had to comment. I just discovered your blog and I love it. The design and layout is amazing and clean. I got lost reading all your posts. Thanks for the recipe ideas….. love it all.

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 4:20 pm

This is genius! Who knew that making creme eggs could be so easy? I’m already dreaming up ways to customize these: adding mint or orange essence to the filling, coating the outsides in sprinkles, using caramel for the “yolk.” The possibilities are endless.

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 4:50 pm

These look lovely! I hate Cadbury eggs, but I might try these. Maybe trying an actual good version would help give me some perspective into what I’m supposed to like about the store-bought variety?

As for light corn syrup, I may be wrong or behind on my corn-studies but I think it’s not that bad. I think it’s just what it says on the bottle.. sugary syrup made from corn sugar. It’s high fructose corn syrup that’s definitely terrible for you. They need battery acid to make it! Did you know that? I didn’t, but one time I watched a documentary about corn and now I think I know everything.

Posted On April 3, 2010 at 5:52 pm

These look amazing! I wish that I had the motivation to give them a whirl before tomorrow…. but since that is slim…. they are starred and bookmarked for a mid-August cream egg craving. :) Thanks for the recipe!

Posted On April 3, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I’ve never seen anyone try to make these! They’re my husband’s favorite, but I’m in the no-cream-egg group. BUT. I’d definitely try one of these. Happy Easter!

Becca
    Posted On April 4, 2010 at 10:31 am

So I made these yesterday- I thought they’d be perfect for Easter! Since I lacked an egg mold or deviled egg dish, I tried the alternative method of rolling the filling and dipping in chocolate. What a mess!!! The filling never set enough, despite refrigerating for several hours and it was melting as I was rolling it. Then I tried freezing it so it would harden enough to dip it in the chocolate. It did set up more, but when I dipped it in melted chocolate (which was obviously warm) it melted!! They wound up looking like little disks of puddled white, orange and chocolate. Not pretty at all. So I’d advise anyone trying this to stick with the molds and not go free-form. Warm chocolate + filling = huge mess.
    They taste good though. Thanks for the idea and maybe I’ll try them again some day.

Posted On April 4, 2010 at 10:47 am

Becca – I had the same thought, that trying to dip that (incredibly sticky) filling would be anything but easy. Sounds like you’ve confirmed that! Even my molded method was messy. heh. At least they tasted good!!

Posted On April 4, 2010 at 11:35 pm

These look awesome! I will have to try them. I am a fan of the over sweet indulgence, but typically can only eat one and it will take me a few hours and some water and even a glass of milk to finish one!

As for Light Corn syrup, Karo brand is literally only syrup made from corn. Some off brands actually contain high fructose corn syrup! Which I believe is the only kind of corn syrup that is bad for you…

Great post cant wait to try them.

Rose
    Posted On April 5, 2010 at 9:41 am

These are da’ bomb.com!
    I searched and searched (well, maybe that is hyperbole but moving on) for an egg mold but I had to settle for a mini muffin tin. I had my doubts! But after a through greasin’, out popped mini muffin fake-out Cadbury eggs!
    The hardest part was mixing all the powered sugar into the butter/syrup mixture and I didn’t end up adding all the sugar but the consistency seemed right and I think it worked out for the best. (Since I have wimpy arms, I employed my stronger half to mix, mix, mix)
    Also, I used semi sweet chips and the darker chocolate was a good contrast.

Posted On April 5, 2010 at 4:02 pm

This is dangerous. Now I can have these year round. Muah haha.

Lizzie
    Posted On April 7, 2010 at 10:01 am

OH NO YOU DIDN’T!

Looks delicious!

Posted On April 7, 2010 at 8:46 pm

Just bought an deviled egg tray on sale so I could make these!

Posted On April 18, 2010 at 4:53 pm

I wish I had seen this earlier!! I adore Cream Eggs!

I’ve given you an award on my blog (which I’m sure you already have…): http://yummysmells.blogspot.com/2010/04/overdue-thank-you.html

Sam
    Posted On April 2, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I’m planning on making these with dark chocolate and Nutella inside. YOU’RE AWESOME :)

shannon
    Posted On March 29, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I love this thank you so much! However I did the roll the filling and dip it in the chocolate method since I have no mold and it was SO EASY! I only froze the filling for an hour and it dipped very easily. From past dipping I knew to turn the heat on the double boiler off before the chocolate was completely melted since the hot water stays hot and will continue to melt the chocolate while string it. I could see if you let it get too hot that it would cause a problem but this worked very well.