February Kitchen Challenge Results: Old-Fashioned Fudge

Old-Fashioned Fudge from @loveandoliveoil

Fudge: been there, done that, probably won’t ever be able to do it again.

But it worked.

For one batch at least, it worked.

Old-Fashioned Fudge from @loveandoliveoil

kitchenchallenge-february14And it is divine. Velvety smooth. A texture unlike any fudge I’ve ever had before.

The taste is determined solely by the quality of your cocoa powder. Which, for this batch, I used the cheap kind, as I was convinced I was going to fail (again) and didn’t want to waste my expensive stuff. A shame.

That’s not to say we didn’t enjoy this batch. We did, very much so. The fact that it all disappeared is testament to just how good it was, so I can imagine how much better it’d be with fancy cocoa.

While I would have loved to share process photos or a video of this challenge, we all know what happened last time I stopped to take a picture. Maybe that’s the key here: DON’T STOP STIRRING WHATEVER YOU DO. It’s an arm workout, that’s for sure, that rivals even the taffy-pulling experience. In fact, I’m considering making both the first official workouts in my genius new fitness plan: “The Confection Method: Sweet Moves for a Better Bod”. Although, it is slightly lop-sided: we may all end up with perfectly toned arms and bulbous bottoms, because as far as I know there are no thigh-powered mixers on the market right now. Ok, maybe not so genius after all.

Back to the drawing board.

Old-Fashioned Fudge

Yield: 36 servings

Total Time: 2 hours 30 mintues

• 3 cups sugar
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cups half and half
  • 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, cut into pieces
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Butter foil (parchment doesn't need any butter if using).
  2. Combine sugar, cocoa and salt in a heavy saucepan. Stir in half & half and corn syrup until incorporated. Add butter cubes and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved. Brush down the sides of the pan with a wet pastry brush to remove any stray sugar crystals.
  3. Bring to a rolling boil and continue cooking, without stirring, until 234ºF (soft-ball stage) on a candy thermometer.
  4. Remove from heat and dip bottom of saucepan a pan of ice water to stop the cooking process. Let stand, without disturbing, until mixture cools to 130ºF.
  5. Add vanilla and beat mixture by hand or with a hand mixer until thickened and shine just barely begins to disappear. This can take quite a while so you may want an extra set of arms ready. When you feel like the mixture just barely begins to lose its shine (it is very subtle and often ambiguous as to when this actually occurs) quickly pour into prepared pan, spreading evenly. Let sit for a few hours at room temperature or refrigerate until set. Cut into squares to serve.

Recipe from Land 'O Lakes.

I was pleasantly surprised at the number of brave souls who attempted this challenge with me, even after my pessimistic introduction. You guys have no fear, and I love that. And your fudge looks AMAZING! I love that some of you tried variations other than plain chocolate. Peanut butter is most definitely going on my “to-make” list.

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Christine

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Erin

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Lindsay

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Liz

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Mary

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Mason

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Monica

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Nancy

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Stephanie

Kitchen Challenge, Fudge: Whitney

Remember we are now on a bi-monthly schedule for Kitchen Challenges, so I’ll be announcing April’s in a few weeks time. I’ve already got a few ideas, but I want to know: what challenges would you like to tackle this year? Sweet, savory, or just plain crazy… it is called Kitchen CHALLENGE, after all. :)

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 6:24 am

Good for you… fudge is a tricky thing… like candy. I will give your recipe a whirl and see what happens

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 6:27 am

You are a brave lady for trying this! I am feeling inspired…so maybe I will too!
    This could go terribly wrong.

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 7:00 am

Your fudge looks so creamy, Lindsay. Yay to all who succeeded. I’m still working on my fudge. Let’s just say, it’s not playing nice.

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 8:20 am

Le sigh. I so wanted to be heroic in this endeavor. After four failed attempts and A LOT of swearing I gave up. However, a friend of mine who’s mother is a genius at fudge is going to try a batch with me soon. Hopefully success is in my future! Better late than never, right? ;)

Rust
    Posted On March 7, 2014 at 9:14 am

I am so enjoying your fudge-journey …and tickled that your perseverance paid off so handsomely! Gorgeous fudge …hooray for you! :)

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 11:05 am

This is my kind of exercising!

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 11:07 am

Best workout ever–you get fudge at the end. WAY more exciting than my runs on the treadmill!

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 12:04 pm

I love this recipe, and it brings me back to eating fudge during my summers at the Jersey Shore. Yummy :)

Posted On March 7, 2014 at 2:49 pm

Thanks so much for including my fudge to your post!!!!

Karen Wood
    Posted On March 7, 2014 at 5:32 pm

Thank You! I’ve been wanting that recipe. It’s the kind my mom used to make and I didn’t know what it was called. Old Fashioned does make sense lol.

Posted On March 10, 2014 at 12:43 pm

Well, we all know how MINE turned out (I’m sure my garbage disposal thought it was delicious).
    Can’t wait to hear the next one! Surprise me!

Posted On March 13, 2014 at 2:13 pm

Okay so really I ought to be sticking to my allotment based baking/cooking adventure, but this looks so good, yum yum yum. I really have  the weakest arms ever, so it would be good for me, right??! RIGHT???! ?

Posted On March 22, 2014 at 2:15 pm

My mom made fudge every year for Christmas, and she always said it was a two person job. You needed on person to stir constantly, and one person to add stuff. She and my dad would switch off stirring.

Posted On March 30, 2014 at 9:15 pm

Oh I wish I had seen this earlier! I made fudge on my blog in late Feb and can soooo relate to the challenges. I finally got it right – phew!
    I’m thinking about the eclair challenge  – sounds like fun!

Posted On April 12, 2014 at 8:46 am

I really like the outcome. I’m looking for a nice treat to give the family for Easter. Will probably do that and wrap it nicely.. Thanks for posting all the different outcomes.