Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese and Peppered Honey

Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese and Peppered Honey

Figs seem to be something of a rarity, especially around here. No sign of them at our farmers’ market, meaning they probably don’t grow anywhere even remotely near here. But I was lucky enough to spot a pint of fresh figs one week at Trader Joes (where they’ve since disappeared) and made darn sure they didn’t go to waste.

This recipe is simple. Almost too simple, you might think. It doesn’t require any heat whatsoever, and very little effort beyond slicing the figs and mixing a bit of honey with some freshly cracked pepper. But boy does it taste good. You know I’m a sucker for anything with goat cheese in it, but a juicy fig, drizzled with a sweet and surprising peppered honey, well, we could have easily made an entire meal (or even dessert) out of just this. In Taylor’s words, all you need is a bit of prosciutto and you’d be set (me, I was plenty happy without the prosciutto, but, you know Taylor, he thinks anything is better when it’s wrapped/stuffed/sauteed with a bit of pork).

Figs intrigue me, especially after a recipe like this. Growing up they weren’t something I ate, well, ever, and my only association with them was Fig Newton cookies (which, in my opinion, shouldn’t even be allowed to be called a cookie). But a fresh fig is nothing like the off-colored goo inside those concoctions. I wish they had a longer season, or at least longer than a week or two here in Tennessee, so I could further explore their culinary possibilities.

(and psst!! For those of you that read this blog via email or rss reader, you may want to click on through to the site. I’ve just given it a pretty substantial facelift – you should take a gander for yourself, and let me know what you think!)

Fresh Figs with Goat Cheese and Peppered Honey

Makes 4 appetizer servings. Recipe from Epicurious.

1/4 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
12 fresh figs
1/4 cup soft fresh goat cheese

Combine honey and pepper in small pitcher; stir to blend. Starting at stem end, cut each fig into quarters, stopping 1/2 inch from bottom to leave base intact. Gently press figs open. Spoon 1 teaspoon cheese into center of each. Arrange figs on platter; drizzle with peppered honey.

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 6:59 pm

Don’t you remember the whole Newton camPAIGN about a a Newton not being a cookie? It was supposed to appeal to aspiring snotty children, lol. It featured British accents if I remember correctly, and the quote, “A cookie is just a cookie, but a Newton” something something… obviously they didn’t catch on in my household, thank goodness.

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 7:33 pm

Looks delish! I wish be trying this soon.
    ps…love the new design!

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 9:29 pm

Beautiful picture! This looks like a delicious way to add more flavor that compliments figs!
    P.S. I totally voted for your cupcake! :)

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 9:37 pm

This is a beautiful way to present figs!

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 10:05 pm

Have you broken into my house and peeked in my refrigerator?!?

I have local peppercorn goat cheese I just bought on Saturday, and two figs I bought SIMPLY BECAUSE I’VE NEVER SEEN THEM IN PERSON BEFORE. (Totally not kidding) I’ve only had fig newtons, and occasionally fig in a dish at a restaurant.

I am 100% going to make this. Thank you thank you thank you.

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 10:13 pm

Why, yes, actually, I DID break into your refrigerator… I was looking for some pumpkin, and knew exactly where I might find some. :)

Where’d you get the local goat cheese? I’d love to try some!

Posted On September 20, 2009 at 10:14 pm

this looks so good! it seems like i haven’t been able to get enough figs to satisfy me this season. ps – i love you new layout/header! what a great idea to have your header font written in olive oil!

Posted On September 21, 2009 at 8:36 am

Those figs are absolutely beautiful!

Posted On September 21, 2009 at 11:44 am

Those look just perfect! I bet they were very tasty :)

Posted On September 21, 2009 at 2:37 pm

Too funny- I just served something very similar to this a couple of weeks ago to my husband for the first time. He looked at me kinda strange when I handed him the plate, but he thought they were yummy! ;-)

I know you asked Erin where she got hers, so thought I would let you know that I buy my local goat cheese from Kira’s Kids Dairy at the Nashville Farmers’ Market. So good!!

Posted On September 21, 2009 at 3:53 pm

Looks lovely. The figs and the new look to the header. Very stylish and on point.

We did up some figs, super chilies, cremini mushrooms and shallots which we stuffed into thick boneless pork loin chops. YUM!

Posted On September 22, 2009 at 3:05 pm

I’m loving the new design! Awesome, as is this recipe. So simple and I love figs and goat cheese…perfect combo :)

Vicki
    Posted On July 1, 2010 at 8:47 am

I searched for figs online after picking up a case at the Publix on Murfreesboro Road yesterday afternoon – I’m so glad it led me to a Nashville blog! By the way, the Publix on Murfreesboro Road is carrying figs. ;)

Susan
    Posted On July 21, 2010 at 1:11 pm

I had fresh figs for the first time last summer…and LOVED them. I cam across this recipe sometime around the middle of winter and was dying to try it. A friend has 2 fig trees, and she told me Sunday the figs are starting to ripen. I can’t wait!