Pan-Seared Flat Iron Steak with Spicy Cilantro Sauce

Pan-Seared Flat Iron Steak with Spicy Cilantro Sauce

I’ve never had flat iron steak before. But our freezer now has a box of them (thanks Mom!) so we thought we’d seek out the best way to cook them. I guess it is similar to a flank steak (if you can’t find flat iron), but honestly it might be my favorite cut. It was incredibly tender, not chewy like some beef can be. Definitely not something you want to overcook, so watch it carefully.

The cilantro sauce was refreshing. Tangy. Slightly spicy. Delicious.

We served this with some roasted veggies, potatoes and brussels sprouts, which were also delicious when drizzled with the cilantro sauce.

A keeper for sure!

Pan-Seared Flat Iron Steak with Spicy Cilantro Sauce

Recipe from Whole Foods.

1 cup roughly chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
1/2 cup plus 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground chili powder
Salt and pepper to taste
2 (10– to 12-ounce) flat iron steaks

Combine the cilantro, garlic, 1/2 cup of the oil, lemon juice, cumin, chili powder and salt in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set sauce aside.

Sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt and pepper. Heat remaining 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add steaks and cook to desired doneness, about 3 minutes per side for medium-rare or 4 to 5 minutes for medium.

Transfer steaks to a cutting board, tent with foil and let rest for 5 minutes before thinly slicing. Serve with sauce on the side.

margie/mom
    Posted On April 26, 2009 at 12:09 am

Okay, so now I am really sad we had to postpone our trip to Nashville. Looks like you made a great piece of beef into a truly special meal! Lucky Maureen! Love the glass plates and beautiful blue place mats underneath.

Posted On April 27, 2009 at 11:33 pm

I love cilantro and steak. Together would be a perfect marriage. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. And yes, I meant all those m’s.

Posted On April 28, 2009 at 4:51 pm

What a gorgeous plate of food!! I love how you fanned out the steak and the vegetables you made look so tasty!

Saskia
    Posted On April 30, 2009 at 10:34 am

I just made the cilantro sauce and it is amazing!
    I have a hard time finding cilantro over here in germany, since i live in a small town, but this was the recipe i thought of when i did.

Posted On May 3, 2009 at 9:37 pm

I love cooking with cilantro. I can’t wait to try this sauce!

Posted On May 7, 2009 at 6:47 am

I love the presentation! Those veggies look great, are they artichokes or brussel sprouts?

Jen B.
    Posted On September 5, 2010 at 8:52 pm

Just found your blog this week and am head over heels! This is the first recipe I made for the Labor Day holiday and it was fantastic! The spicy cilantro sauce is to die for. Looking forward to making more – maybe those almond chocolate chip cookies tomorrow!

Donna
    Posted On March 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I just discovered your blog and I love it. Flat Irons are my GO TO steak in the summer time. I just discovered them this past summer and now I keep a stack of them in the freezer. Quick and easy and delicious!

Amy Morris Shalosky
    Posted On August 18, 2013 at 11:51 am

Through the wonder of Pinterest, I came across this recipe while planning my meals yesterday and we had it for dinner last night, even had the roasted potatoes and Brussels’s sprouts. DELISH!!