Chipotle Lime Glazed Shrimp

Chipotle Lime Glazed Shrimp

Sometimes, the most simple things are the best things. Sure, we could have spent a few hours in the kitchen making some complex dish, searing this part and sauteing that part, baking something else in the meantime. But chances are, the flavors we would have created would not have even come close to those in this dish.

Not to mention the beautiful color of these shrimp. They just look enticing. Spicy and tangy and enticing. Which they are.

What you decide to do with these shrimp is up to you – toss them with rice (as we did), turn them into a saucy filling for a taco or enchilada, or just eat them one by one, enjoying every bite.

(As a side note – you should know that Taylor’s birthday is still officially going on… we have yet to polish off that unbelievable cake. And by our rules, your birthday lasts as long as the cake. So, for the 6th day in a row, happy birthday Taylor! Now cut me a slice of that cake…)

Chipotle Lime Glazed Shrimp

Makes 4 servings. Recipe from Cooks Illustrated, via Ezra Pound Cake.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 1/2 pounds 21/25 shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
1/8 teaspoon sugar

For Glaze:
1 chipotle chile in adobo, minced
2 teaspoons adobo sauce
4 teaspoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

To make the glaze: Stir together chipotle chile, adobo sauce, brown sugar, lime juice, and cilantro in small bowl.

Heat 1 tablespoon oil in 12-inch skillet over high heat until smoking, Meanwhile, toss shrimp, salt, pepper, and sugar in medium bowl. Add half of shrimp to the pan in single layer and cook until spotty brown and edges turn pink, about 1 minute. Remove pan from heat; using tongs, flip each shrimp and let stand until all but very center is opaque, about 30 seconds. Transfer shrimp to large plate. Repeat with remaining tablespoon oil and shrimp; after second batch has stood off heat, return first batch to skillet, add chipotle mixture, and toss to combine. Cover skillet and let stand until shrimp are cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Serve immediately.

Posted On January 27, 2009 at 9:28 am

Oh, I’m going to have to make this one! those flavors are amazing!

Posted On January 27, 2009 at 10:07 am

This looks so delicious!

Posted On January 27, 2009 at 3:50 pm

I saw and made (last wed) this recipe for my twin boys (shrimp fiends) and they LOVED it. My nephew was over for dinner, he loved it, and my daughter who doesn’t like shrimp loved the sauce which whe put on her sauted broccoli! It was a winner.
    ~ingrid

Posted On January 27, 2009 at 4:51 pm

That looks lovely! Thanks. Can’t wait to try it.

Posted On January 29, 2009 at 11:46 am

My husband is allergic to shellfish so I NEVER make it at home to be on the safe side. But when he’s out of town it’s all game. You know, when the cat is away the mice like to play…. gotta try this!

Posted On January 30, 2009 at 4:36 pm

This looks awesome. I love the flavors you put together for the shrimp. Sounds like a fantastic dish. Thanks for sharing.

Posted On February 3, 2009 at 10:00 am

I rarely cook with shrimp bc I have weird seafood phobias but I’m working on it. This is my type of shrimp dish though and one my bf would appreciate as well. Sounds spicey and deelish.

reagan
    Posted On February 4, 2009 at 12:37 pm

I made this last night and it was a super fast week night dinner. Very good with just the right amount of heat.

Zereh
    Posted On February 24, 2009 at 1:10 am

Ok, this is the 2nd delicious sounding recipe I’ve added into my “cook it up quick” list! Can’t wait to see what else you guys have in store for me.

Love the vibe of your blog as well.

=)
    Z

Julia
    Posted On May 10, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Made this last night, I think this might be the quickest meal ever! Plus it was absolutely delicious.

Posted On November 3, 2011 at 9:49 am

I made this the other night and it was great! SO FAST which made it perfect for a weekday meal. My fiance found it a bit spicy so I may tune the heat down in the future but still delish all around. Thanks!