Empty-the-Fridge Fritatta

You know all those poor vegetables that start to wilt? Don’t put them out of their misery, put them to good use! Make a fritatta!

This recipe was inspired by a Leek and Asparagus Fritatta recipe from the February Bon Appetit. But we figured, since we’re already making a fritatta, why not throw in a few more veggies? Potatoes? Yum! That last lonely zucchini? Perfect! As long as you’ve got 8 eggs on hand, just toss in whatever else you have and call it dinner. Heck, eat the leftovers the next morning and call it breakfast too.

Empty-the-Fridge Fritatta

Empty-the-Fridge Fritatta

Makes 4 servings.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1 cup chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only)
1 12-oz bunch thin asparagus, trimmed, cut on diagonal into 1-inch pieces
1 cup sliced stemmed shittake mushrooms
1 medium red potato, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 zucchini, diced
8 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Directions
Preheat broiler. Heat butter or oil in heavy broilerproof 10-inch-diameter nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and leeks and sautee until tender, about 4 minutes. Add asparagus, mushrooms, and zucchini, sprinkle lightly with salt, and sauté until tender, about 6 minutes.

Whisk eggs, 1/4 cup Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl. Add egg mixture to skillet; fold gently to combine. Cook until almost set. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Broil until fritatta is puffed and cheese begins to turn golden, about 3 minutes. Cut into wedges and serve.

Posted On January 7, 2008 at 6:02 am

Ah, yes, I call these “fridge dump” frittatas — and they are my favorite go-to meal when I have lots of bits of vegetables around and want something more substantial than a salad. There are always eggs and cheese in the fridge, and even if I just have onions to add, and some dried herbs, it’s delicious.

Posted On January 7, 2008 at 10:13 am

Yum! I love doing this! Great leftover suggestion!

Posted On January 9, 2008 at 11:39 am

Brilliant idea! I have been trying to think what to make with the poor savoy cabbage that is dying slowly in the fridge drawer. Thanks for the inspiration – I’ll shred and saute it, maybe with some diced potatoes, and turn it into a bubble-and-squeak fritatta… yum, yum…

Posted On January 9, 2008 at 12:02 pm

You should save that cabbage… we’ve got a recipe tonight for a spaghetti that uses one! I’ll be sure to post it before yours goes bad. :) Though a fritatta would taste mighty nice!

Posted On January 9, 2008 at 8:46 pm

OK maybe I lied. Put your cabbage in a fritatta. The pasta was a bust. :( Oh well! You win some, you lose some!

Paula
    Posted On March 30, 2009 at 8:03 pm

We tried this tonight, well the concept anyway. We had leftovers from a stuffed Italian bread recipe. The stuffing was artichokes, mushrooms, smoked turkey, and smoked almonds. I added more mushrooms from the fridge and a bit of good ham. This was the most awesome ‘leftover’ dish I have ever had. We served it with my kids favorite amuse bouche ‘stuffed strawberry’ w/bitter chocolate on a lemon wafer. I need more leftovers! Quick, easy, and satisfying!

Posted On July 30, 2011 at 2:28 am

Thank you sharing this really an awesome, thanks for the post.