Fruity Chocolate Bark

Fruity Chocolate Bark with Freeze-Dried Fruit

Bark is a candy that has no regard for perfection; the rough, jagged edges and irregularly scattered toppings are part of the appeal.

It’s a great cabinet-cleaner recipe too. Perfect for those days when you’re frantically trying to clean out the pantry before your inlaws arrive, and those three random bags of freeze-dried fruit seem destined for the trash can. Not to mention to overflowing chocolate tub, with partial bars and half-wrapped bits and scraps from recipes past.

Fruity Chocolate Bark with Freeze-Dried Fruit

As it turns out, freeze-dried fruit makes for a truly wonderful candy. Fresh freeze-dried fruit (oxymoron, much? By ‘fresh’ I mean still sealed in the unopened package) is surprisingly light and crispy, unlike the heavy, sticky nature of dried fruit, giving this bark a unique tart crunch.

How to Make Chocolate Bark with Freeze-Dried Fruit

Simply melt your chocolate, as gently as humanly possible (I personally love my little chocolate melter – no more burned and seized chocolate!) then spread and sprinkle with bits of freeze dried fruit. I used a combination of blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries (Trader Joe’s sells a wonderful assorment of fruit) but I’ve also seen such delicacies as freeze-dried pomegranate seeds and elderberries online. I’ve used freeze-dried fruit before, ground up into homemade pixie sticks, meringues, or macarons. It’s also great in cereal (you know, if you find yourself with more on hand than you can use).

I think the astronauts were on to something here…

Fruity Chocolate Bark

Yield: 1 8x10 piece

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Total Time: 1 hour

• 8 ounces good quality, dark chocolate (70-80%), very finely chopped
  • 1 cup assorted freeze dried fruit, large pieces roughly chopped

In a microwave, double boiler, or chocolate melter, gently melt chocolate on the lowest possible heat setting. Stir regularly, removing from heat as needed. The goal here is to keep the temperature under 90 degrees, above which the chocolate will lose its temper. Be patient, keep stirring, and even with on and off low heat the chocolate will melt eventually.

Once melted and smooth, pour chocolate onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread into an even layer (it will not cover the entire pan, just spread it until it's as thick as you want your final bark to be).

Sprinkle evenly with freeze-dried fruit. Let dry, uncovered at room temperature, for 1 to 2 hours or until set. Break into serving size pieces.

Because of the nature of freeze-dried fruit, this particular bark is best enjoyed within a day or two, as the fruit will begin to soften once exposed to humidity. The bark is good for up to a week, however, the fruit just might be a bit softer after a few days out in the open.

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 4:30 am

Lindsay it’s beautiful! It’s the prettiest bark I’ve ever seen and I’ve read one or two blogs around the holidays :) WOW! Just stunning – love that contrast of colors and textures. Pinned! Happy TG to you and Taylor!

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 5:39 am

If this is how you clean your cabinet, I want to live with you and clean it each week with you.

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 7:18 am

I just came across your blog, and then I saw this! This bark is 1) hello gorgeous! 2)Chocolate 3)Easy 4) Did I say chocolate?  Basically, this is everything I could ever want in life, in one dish.  Pinned and a new follower!

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 8:55 am

looks stunning and sounds like the perfect sweet + tart combination! I’m also with Marta, up there. I’d happily clean out your cabinets weekly if this is what came of that cleaning! mine only results in sticky jars with honey residue destined for the trash, boxes of poorly wrapped, stale cereal. ugh.

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 9:54 am

Fruit + chocolate is one of my favorite flavor combos. I’ve added all sorts of crunchy candy to bark but never thought about fruit. Also, if this is the result, I’ll come over to help clean out your cabinets any time :)

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 10:04 am

This is beautiful! And genious.

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 10:24 am

This is gorgeous!! I love fruit and chocolate together and would probably eat it all in one sitting though!!

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I love freeze-dried fruit, the texture and the intense flavour are really amazing! The only thing is that they are so hard to get…

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm

Thank you for this tasty and fruity chocolate, a new reason for not giving up with chocolate, have a nice evening:)

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 2:02 pm

I also love the rough and ready nature of chocolate bark, just toss anything you have to hand into it.

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 3:01 pm

This looks so striking and delicious!

Posted On November 27, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Fun! I never put fruit with chocolate and I definitely need to more!

Posted On November 28, 2013 at 5:25 am

Really like this idea! The colours are beautiful!

Posted On November 28, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oh – what beautiful reds, pinks and purples. I’ve never made chocolate before as I’m always nervous about the tempering, but you’ve inspired me to give it a go…

Posted On November 29, 2013 at 2:11 pm

This is gorgeous :) The berries looks so vivid against the dark chocolate!

Posted On December 3, 2013 at 10:53 am

I love the color of this bark. The reds and chocolate are so beautiful!

Posted On December 5, 2013 at 12:56 am

Freeze dried fruit ground up for pixie sticks!! OMG most genius thing I’ve heard in a long time! I am so trying that!

Posted On December 16, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Gorgeous! The color you get from the fruit is so great against that dark swathe of chocolate.

Posted On January 19, 2014 at 10:31 pm

Knew when I saw a photo of this bark on Pinterest that I needed to give it a try! I was very excited to try using freeze-dried fruit, not something I’d ever baked with before. My bark turned out really great, though I did freeze it for about 20 minutes to finish up the hardening (my apt is a bit on the warm side). I shared this recipe on my own blog; thanks so much for posting this. Look forward to trying more of your recipes in the future!

Kay
    Posted On April 17, 2014 at 8:36 am

This recipe is to die for! Thank you