Ginger and Spinach Green Smoothie

Spinach and Ginger Green Smoothie

I know, I know. Here I am, posting a green smoothie. Me, the girl that berated juice cleanses and liquid diets in lieu of hot fudge sauce.

But, you know what, sometimes after a week of decadence and doughnuts and tacos and fried everything, we were craving something fresh for lunch instead of our usual melted cheese something or other.

We actually used to do smoothies for lunch quite often, though not so often as of late. While they are typically of the blue and pink persuasions, however, we have learned a few lessons in green smoothies over the years. This kind of smoothie-wisdom only comes from making horrible, inedible mistakes. But I’ll spare you that injustice and share with you today:

1. Stick to yellow, orange, and green fruit if you actually want a green smoothie, and not some sludge the color of a mud puddle. Seriously, step away from the strawberries.

2. Stick to spinach or kale. But whatever you do, avoid mustard greens at all costs. They do not make for an appetizing beverage. Trust me, Taylor learned that one the hard way. (Sip. “This isn’t so bad.” Another sip. “Hmm.” One more timid sip. “Ok. It’s totally gross.” And down the disposal it goes…)

3. Add ginger. Always ginger. The end.

Spinach and Ginger Green Smoothie

I kind of threw this one together, and Taylor totally turned up his nose when I poured it in his glass. But despite the verdant hue, you’d be hard pressed to taste the vegetation. It’s refreshing from the cucumber, sweet from the mango, and spicy from the fresh ginger. We added a full 2 tablespoons (you know I like it spicy), but feel free to dial it back if you’d like. Just, please, don’t leave out the ginger. It’s what makes this smoothie sing.

I totally get bonus points for creating a smoothie the perfect shade of green to match my blog design, right? Right?

Don’t worry, we’ll be back to fudge sauce next week.

Ginger and Spinach Green Smoothie

Yield: 2 servings

Total Time: 5 minutes

• 1 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup plain yogurt
  • 1 cup frozen mango chunks
  • 1/3 english cucumber, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 handful fresh baby spinach
  • 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh minced ginger, to taste
  • ice cubes, as needed

Combine all ingredients in a blender; purée on high speed until smooth. Add a few ice cubes and blend until it reaches your desired consistency.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 8:08 am

Gorgeous! Ginger is a must for me, too. And mango with greens is always a great balancer. And cucumber, too. Wow, I want this right now! Stunning images, too!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 8:08 am

I love a good green smoothie, I am definitely adding ginger next time. Also – stay away from blueberries – thats a color combo no one wants to drink.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 8:23 am

This. looks. amazing! I love ginger! And I also love that you only use natural sugars in your recipe. Nice!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 8:25 am

I make green smoothies all the time with spinach and mango but never thought to add ginger. Definitely need to try that next time.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 8:47 am

I’m thrilled that i have all of these ingredients on hand. Love the colour and can’t wait to try it!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 8:51 am

we all need a healthy kick once an awhile!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 9:01 am

I LOVE GINGER so I want to try this. You’re the smoothie expert here so: Can I sub in pineapple (or banana – or is that weird) for mango? I’m allergic to mango.

• Posted On June 14, 2013 at 11:26 am

Sure, I think another yellow/orange fruit would work fine. It basically just adds sweetness and substance to the smoothie, you don’t really get much of the fruit flavor from just a cup of it. :)

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 9:30 am

Yummy! Ginger is my favorite thing ever! I’ve been hoarding a container of candied ginger in my fridge for like a year now, probably because I needed 1/2 ounce for a recipe and JUST REALIZED I could just, you know, eat it. OMG – I about died!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 9:38 am

I love the color and didn’t think ginger would add the extra zing! Need to try it now.

La Torontoise
    Posted On June 14, 2013 at 10:15 am

The color is so fresh; I can hardly wait to go home and make it!
    Thank you so much!
    Have a good weekend.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 10:24 am

Sounds like a luscious drink with all my favorite flavors wrapped into one! Thanks for sharing.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 10:46 am

Now, don’t we all need this once in a while. Adding ginger at the end, perfect!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 11:36 am

Sounds so refreshing!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I love green smoothies, in fact I had one for breakfast this morning. I love the sound of yours with ginger and cucumber. I will be sure to try this.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Lovely! And I love the addition of ginger – mmmm!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Yum! I will add this to my to-try list when I start having an abundance of veggies from my CSA, hehe.

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 3:21 pm

I love adding ginger to my smoothies. And spinach too! This is gorgeous Lindsay! I had a green smoothie earlier this morning :)

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 4:34 pm

So healthy! This looks awesome!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 4:54 pm

I think anything eaten with a cute spoon tastes great. So yeah this must be good ;)

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 9:14 pm

sounds perfect and so pretty!

Posted On June 14, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Sometimes a little green juice is exactly what you need… after a week of donuts and fried food… it really does the trick! It’s ok, I won’t judge!

Posted On June 15, 2013 at 8:52 am

Looks delicious! Definitely my kind of smoothie :)

Posted On June 15, 2013 at 9:41 am

Oh I need this after my time in Austin….it was like a week of doughnuts…!

Posted On June 15, 2013 at 10:14 am

Gorgeous smoothie, Lindsay!

Posted On June 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

This looks so beautiful, Lindsay! Ginger is pretty much a non-negotiable for me with smoothies. ;)

Posted On June 15, 2013 at 10:49 am

I make almost this exact smoothie nearly every day for breakfast, only I add lemon (cuts the bitterness of the greens and compliments the ginger very well), and berries because they are good for you blah blah blah (cue sludge color). I’m going to try swapping out the fruit for a better and more appetizing color. Thanks for the tip!

Posted On June 15, 2013 at 5:19 pm

This looks so refreshing, Linds! I have been on a huge green juice kick lately … especially after gaining 49.8 pounds in Austin. Pinning!

Posted On June 16, 2013 at 2:41 am

I love it … and you right the green is perfect combo to the blog design.

Nessa
    Posted On June 16, 2013 at 9:13 am

This looks delicious and very refreshing!

Posted On June 16, 2013 at 5:00 pm

looks awesome! i love the idea of ginger in the green smoothie…. :)

Beth
    Posted On June 16, 2013 at 9:45 pm

I made my first green smoothie over the weekend and loved it! Didn’t have any plain yogurt at the time, so used almond milk, spinach, ginger, fresh mint, half an avocado for creaminess, a scoop of protein powder, and a few ice cubes. I was astonished at the fresh taste from the ginger and the mint. Can’t wait to try your version with the cuke and mango. I’m a convert!

Posted On June 17, 2013 at 8:25 am

Sounds pretty delicious to me! I’ve had some green smoothies (well, really just wheat grass) mistakes in the past, that were plain revolting–but I love adding spinach and mild greens to smoothies as well (and carrots!). This drink looks so refreshing and healthy! Perfect for the summer months.

Posted On June 26, 2013 at 9:43 pm

I love ginger in my smoothies, it is so refreshing :) this looks wonderful!

Solange
    Posted On July 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm

I definitly tried it and it’s so delicious.Added frozen peaches,it was refreshing,i have enough for one more tomorrow!!

johnq
    Posted On July 20, 2013 at 4:19 am

i changed the recipe a little. i go for a big handful of spinach, juice of half a lime, a good thumb of ginger, ice, a little plain yoghurt and a quarter cup of green tea. tastes great and must be good for you. i occasionally add some fresh parsley or fresh mint if i have some

Janis Dowling
    Posted On November 15, 2013 at 2:04 pm

This was my very first green smoothie ever and I loved it! Didn’t have o.j. So used pineapple flavored coconut water and no mangos so used fresh pineapple and thru in half a banana. I’m gonna have another one for lunch! Thanks for the inspiration

Barbara
    Posted On December 28, 2013 at 12:42 pm

I don”t like green smoothies, but this sounds good and I’m going to get more healthy in 2014, so I will try this one. thank you!

Posted On December 30, 2013 at 3:18 pm

Great simple recipe and delicious!

Nora
    Posted On January 9, 2014 at 5:50 pm

I just wanted to say thank you for this.  I treated myself to a Vitamix, and have been looking for great recipes to make in it that would be nutritious and help us get more greens in our diet, and this did just that.  So fabulous!

Jurisrachel
    Posted On January 13, 2014 at 1:29 pm

I was a little surprised you (and others) would forgo some of the wonderful nutrition to be found in berries or whatnot, just ’cause they’d throw off the color. While a bright green smoothie is often nice, I’m willing to go for sludge-y-colored ones, too, as long as they’re tasty and full of fresh goodness. In our diets that are so  often lacking in variety, I find smoothies a great way to really mix it up. (Sorry for the awful pun … .) Not trying to be judge-y, ma’am; just sayin’. Good recipe, and thanks for sharing.

Shannon
    Posted On January 28, 2014 at 5:22 pm

This has become one of my favorites! I make it at least twice a week.

• Posted On January 28, 2014 at 8:42 pm

Hooray! :) So happy to hear!

Posted On March 18, 2014 at 7:38 pm

I love your smoothie rules! I add almost a 2 inch chunk of ginger every time. Also I’m laughing because I always add frozen blueberries and it’s never pretty as a result. ;-)

Daniele
    Posted On September 29, 2014 at 5:36 pm

I just made this smoothie for dinner! I had to leave a comment, that this was delicious! I appreciated the color tip. and these basics made such a clean tasting smoothie! I add fennel chia seeds to my smoothies, it helps me to feel fuller longer.

Posted On October 27, 2014 at 3:10 pm

I love this! I think the English Cucumber is a good choice versus the conventional cucumber.  This smoothie is packed with Vitamin C, Vitamin A, fiber and amazing minerals!  And I LOVE ginger! Cancer prevention smoothie!!!  You might like my broccoli, kiwi, kale and green apple smoothie:  http://kissmywellness.com/2014/10/27/broccoli-kale-kiwi-green-apple-smoothie/