Marzipan Brownies

Marzipan Brownies

I’ve been thinking a lot about brownies lately. And mainly, what makes a really good brownie. I’ve been doing research, all scientific and the like.

I’ve come to the conclusion that the denser the better. It should almost be the consistency of fudge (why did you think they were called fudgy brownies, anyway?) Chewy. But not gooey.

Dark chocolate. Lots of dark chocolate. The best your wallet can muster. Might I suggest Sharffen Berger? That’s what I used for what can only be called a truly divine brownie.

Toppings, mix-ins, and frostings, of course, are completely optional, but what’s the fun in a plain old brownie?

And finally, unlike chocolate chip cookies which are the best warm out of the oven, brownies are best when left to chill overnight. Yes, I said overnight. I know. Such a tease. But it’s worth the wait.

Marzipan Brownies

Now that you’ve discovered the ultimate brownie, why not take it to the next level? Give it a smattering of chopped almonds and top it with a layer of marzipan and chocolate glaze, and brace yourself. You’ll swoon so deeply you may just find yourself in need of a good old fashioned fainting couch.

This is the kind of brownie that would end wars. Heal grudges. Get you the best table in the house if you’re so inclined to share with the hostess (I speak from experience on that one). It’s kind of ridiculous, really, how good these are. And if you come from a family of marzipan addicts like I do (it runs through my veins, I tell you!) it just might be the best thing you’ve ever eaten.

Don’t say I didn’t warn you. Fainting couch. Have one.

Marzipan Brownies

5 ounces almond paste
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 teaspoons corn syrup, plus more for brushing

For Glaze:
3 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into cubes

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Line the bottom and sides of a 8-by-8-inch pan with parchment paper, leaving a slight overhang on two edges.

Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

Melt chocolates and butter in a double boiler or a medium-large bowl set over gently simmering water. Stir until smooth, then remove from heat. Whisk in sugars and stir until dissolved and mixture has cooled slightly.

Whisk in eggs, vanilla, and almond extract until just combined (do not overmix). Sprinkle flour mixture over top and fold in to chocolate mixture using a large rubber spatula until just incorporated. Fold in chopped almonds. Pour into prepared pan.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Transfer pan to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.

For marzipan, liberally dust a smooth surface with powdered sugar. Knead together almond paste with corn syrup, adding more sugar as necessary to keep mixture from sticking. Continue kneading until paste is smooth and all sugar has been incorporated. Roll into an 8 by 8-inch square. Lightly brush the top of brownies with more corn syrup, then place marzipan layer on top, pressing to adhere. Refrigerate while you prepare the glaze.

Gently melt chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or a small saucepan set over low heat. Stir until smooth. Pour over marzipan, carefully spreading into a thin, even layer. Return to refrigerator and chill until set, at least 30 minutes, or preferably overnight (brownies are best when left to chill in the refrigerator overnight).

Remove brownies from pan using the edges of the parchment paper to lift the entire block out of the pan. Using a large sharp knife, cut into 2-inch squares. Brownies will keep, refrigerated in an airtight container, for up to 5 days.

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 2:59 pm

These look amazing!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Gorgeous brownies, I’d love to have a pan of those delivered! How did you get the swirling on the brownies? Or was it just natural from the pouring? lol

• Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Poured and spread with an offset spatula. :) Can’t figure out how to get it perfectly smooth so I make due with the swirls!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:01 pm

i love brownies. i love marzipan. i love YOU. seriously, these sound incredible. and i’m so envious that your brownies are always so perfect looking.

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:07 pm

ohh wow – – talk about decadence. I’ve fallen in love with this brownie, by just reading about it. I can’t wait to make it – -and I can’t promise, I’ll be able to allow it to chill over night ;) what a great way to start the weekend!!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm

These sound positively sinful. Can I just faint on my regular ‘ol couch and call it a fainting couch? Cause I’d like to have some of these and I don’t know if furniture shopping first will fit into my timeline. ;-)

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Those look divine! I agree–Sharffen Berger is really where it’s at.

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:10 pm

You had me at Marzipan!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I am definitely going to try these.

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:19 pm

These are awesome Lindsay. I agree that there is not much better than dark chocolate!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Completely agree with you about brownies – my boyfriend’s mother *loves* marzipan and its her birthday in a couple of weeks so I may well send her a batch of these!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:23 pm

these are obsolutely beautiful brownies and i looove the addition of marzipan!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:44 pm

Fudgy brownies are always better then cakey brownies. :)

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 3:50 pm

Oooh, what a brilliant combination! Why has this never occurred to me before? :)

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 4:52 pm

These look heavenly. What a perfect combination. I can’t believe I’ve never seen it before!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 5:22 pm

What a combo, my oh my do those look good. THANK YOU!

Anna Requat
    Posted On March 2, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Anything that combines marzipan and chocolate HAS to be good, can’t wait to try making these :)

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 7:04 pm

i’ve wanted to do something like this for the longest time.
    they look really good.
    excellent photos!
    happy weekend!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 7:07 pm

These brownies look luscious and one of my favorite combinations. Would really come in handy right now while I’m battling a cold…do you deliver! LOL!

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 7:38 pm

I think I may have found someone whose love of marzipan equals my own. These look incredible, I am going to have to try them soon.

Posted On March 2, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I love this idea! Marsipan is always such a great idea!

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 12:47 am

total perfection.

the flavors, the layers, the food styling, the photos…every single thing about this post is Gorgeous!

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 8:06 am

These look divine! I love your scientific approach to the brownie, I’m just like that. I have never though of chilling them overnight, however, my next batch of brownies will definitely undergo that resting period.
    Not to mention my absolute love for marzipan…

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 8:30 am

OH. MY. WOW. Yes please!!

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 10:57 am

These look like a dream come true, my mum is a complete marzipan addict so would be a great gift for the impending mothers day! Just a quick question though, here in the UK ive never seen almond paste so I was wondering if shop bought marzipan would do the trick? Or is that more suited to topping cakes and the such? Thank you! beautiful recipe :)

• Posted On March 5, 2012 at 9:01 am

Almond paste is a stickier, more almond-heavy version of marzipan – the act of mixing it with corn syrup and powdered sugar turns it into marzipan. So if you can find marzipan, skip that step and simply roll it out. :)

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

The title alone had me just about ready to lick the screen. beautiful recipe!

Have the best weekend!

Big hugs!

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 12:05 pm

This has got to be the most fantastic recipe I’ve ever stumbled across, I genuinely had to pause and just thank my luck for coming across such a beautiful creation. I absolutely ADORE marzipan so will definitely have to try these! But as Sasha posted, I’ve never seen almond paste in the UK so would rolled icing work? Thanks! x

• Posted On March 5, 2012 at 9:02 am

If you can find marzipan that’d be best, just skip the extra powdered sugar/corn syrup and simply roll it out. :)

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 12:09 pm

You’re absolutely on target about Sharffen Berger. I used their dark chocolate to make a gluten-free brownie and it was out of this world. Love the look of your frosted brownies.

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’m not a fan of marzipan (sorry!) but the almond brownie below looks like heaven!

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Oh my gosh, this looks too good! I’m addicted to marzipan.. Mmm.. yum!

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm

seriously?!!!! Beautiful little treats is all that comes to mind, simple pretty little squares of delicious.

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I know this is a nerdy blogger question, but how did you get such sharp cuts on these gorgeous brownies? It really makes them look irresistible.

• Posted On March 5, 2012 at 9:00 am

It’s as simple as thoroughly chilled brownies and a very sharp knife. :)

Posted On March 4, 2012 at 10:52 am

Absolutely beautiful! That’s all I have to say:-)
    And I need to make these because I seriously want a bite!

Posted On March 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

OMG this looks soo good! My husband loves Marzipan – I’ll have to try this.

Posted On March 4, 2012 at 12:33 pm

This might be the perfect brownie! The chocolate lovers at my house will be enthralled while I enjoy my favorite almonds at the same time. Inspired!

Posted On March 4, 2012 at 9:38 pm

Wow, it looks like you put a lot of thought and work into these brownies. I have to confess, I have always wondered what marzipan was until I read your post, so thanks for educating me. :) They look rich and delicious and I am amazed at how perfect they look!

Posted On March 5, 2012 at 4:59 am

These look to die for..that marzipan layer looks perfect!

Posted On March 5, 2012 at 9:17 am

Brownies are my favorite! These look so decadent and rich. I love it! :D

Posted On March 5, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Holy lord, these are gorgeous.

Posted On March 5, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Lovely, smooth, perfect looking chocolate delights.

Posted On March 6, 2012 at 11:42 am

What a great idea, making Marzipan brownies, I never had some but Marzipan and chocolate is a fantastic combination, so why not making such brownies, looks very good.

Posted On March 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

These are gorgeous! I come from a long line of marzipan lovers, too :)

Posted On March 6, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Great idea using marzipan in brownies!! That looks so yummy :)

ps: can’t wait to meet you at FBF Orl next week!

Posted On March 6, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Hey Lindsay,
    Now, I’ve got the Sharffen Berger bittersweet chocolate, and the Sharffen Berger unsweetened chocolate, but the little gourmet cooking store and I couldn’t decide what the dark chocolate for the glaze should be. We decided on Sharffen Berger semi-sweet, but didn’t know if there was a specific “dark” that wasn’t bittersweet or semi-sweet… Any recommendations???
    BTW, Happy Birthday!!!!!

Posted On March 6, 2012 at 9:40 pm

Yum! I LOVE marzipan!

Posted On March 7, 2012 at 12:10 am

Oh lawd. Marzipan on brownies? You’re evil. Delightfully so :)

I agree about refrigerating them. They’re best after they’ve cooled!

Posted On March 7, 2012 at 5:33 pm

really??? those look so good! i will have to try them, as my husband is a huge fan of marzipan/almond paste.

Posted On March 7, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Just served them to a group of my artists buddies, and they were a big hit!!!!

Posted On March 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I’ve never tried marzipan before! o.O My eyes are wide. They’re beautiful!

Posted On March 10, 2012 at 12:30 am

Love these Brownies especially with the addition of delicious marzipan!

Posted On March 14, 2012 at 4:41 pm

Beautiful pics! They look so delicious :-)

Posted On March 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

Posted On March 19, 2012 at 1:32 pm

My best friends family owned a bakery and they made these very same brownies, the only difference was they spread a thin layer of either seedless raspberry jam or cherry preserve before laying the marzipan on top. This is a phenomenal recipe, I added the raspberry and it brought back so many childhood memories! Thank you.

Posted On March 20, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Boy am I in the mood for brownies now. We’ve been making Filipino desserts lately with lots of coconut, but I could use one of these :)

Posted On March 30, 2012 at 1:17 pm

These look incredible. Should I even admit how in love I am with marzipan? Should I admit that I have been known to buy a big log of it, keep it in the fridge, and eat it by the slice like cheese? I once bought a whole bunch so I could make marzipan animals… and ended up eating it all… and successfully made one single marzipan tiger… then ate him limb by limb the next morning… It’s an expensive habit I tell you!

I can not wait to try this recipe… If I can even get far enough to complete it without eating the marzipan while the brownies are baking ;)

Posted On June 27, 2012 at 5:55 am

The pics look heavenly, Cannot wait to try it. It is certainly the ideal binge after a great workout and getting in shape. The snaps make it look absolutely irresistible. They look splendid indeed. I am a great fan of Baking and this is my next thing in my to-do things to bake..

Posted On April 9, 2013 at 9:01 pm

LOVE marzipan! Gorgeous and super tasty-sounding. I am definitely going to make these!

Posted On June 28, 2015 at 11:44 pm

I speaker english a little but i can say: wouahhhh!!!
    I want eat your cake.