Peach Cantaloupe Sorbet

Peach Cantaloupe Sorbet

Unintentional ice cream week? Perhaps. I’m sure you don’t mind.

This fruity freeze was the result of an overabundance of cantaloupe. Ripe cantaloupe. And we all know that perfectly ripe cantaloupe does not wait for an opportunity to be used. And when you have two saturated melons, clearly more than any normal couple can consume within the ripeness window, well, you have to create your own opportunities. And fast.

My ice cream maker was cold. The weather was hot. Sorbet sounded just right. And, you know, because life’s a peach, I threw in one of those too.

The result was wildly refreshing. Just enough peach to pump up the flavor but not overpower the delicate drawl of the cantaloupe.

The fact that I felt the need to follow it up with a brownie is not a reflection of the deliciousness of the sorbet in any way. That’s just the nature of sorbet. And of me.

Peach Cantaloupe Sorbet

Yield: about 1 pint

1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 tablespoons corn syrup
2 cups cantaloupe cubes (from about 1/2 a cantaloupe)
1 peach, peeled and pitted

Combine sugar, water, lemon juice, and corn syrup in a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Microwave on high in 30 second bursts, stirring occasionally, for a total of 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until sugar dissolves and mixture is clear. Set aside to cool.

Combine cantaloupe and peach in a blender and puree until completely smooth. Add sugar syrup and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to a bowl and chill completely, at least 2 hours.

Freeze chilled base in your ice cream maker according to manufacturers' instructions. Sorbet is done when it is the consistency of a thick smoothie; if you over churn it you risk it being too icy and crystallized. Quickly transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze overnight or until firm.

Posted On September 3, 2011 at 10:21 pm

I love sorbet and I was just wondering if cantaloup would make a good ice cream. I guess this answers it, it sounds awesome!

Posted On September 3, 2011 at 10:53 pm

Love the color! With the high heat in my side of the world, this looks like an amazing treat.

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 4:36 am

Awesome creation…love the color…!!!!

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 7:53 am

The color of that sorbet is so refreshing and sweet looking. I just love the photo. We never seem to get to our cantaloupe soon enough so I’ll have to remember this…

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 10:11 am

This sounds amazing! Hubby is a huge fan of sorbet, so this is definitely something I want to try. What kind of ice cream maker do you use? I have the KitchenAid attachment that I’m not too crazy about, but it seems to do the job.

• Posted On September 4, 2011 at 10:53 am

Same maker I have. I’ve found that as long as it is thoroughly frozen (as in, left in the freezer for at least 24 hours), and your ice cream base is completely chilled as well, seems to work pretty well.

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 10:31 am

Most excellent idea!

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Looks amazing… and definitely the right weather for it. It’s hot here in the south, and we still refuse to really run our air conditioner. Mostly because we’re kind of in a competition with the heat, but I think even if we win we lose.

Also, that fabric beneath the dish is beautiful. Is it a tablecloth or a placemat? Or maybe a napkin? I just really love the white on white needlework!

• Posted On September 4, 2011 at 9:32 pm

It’s actually a pretty embroidered fabric I picked up from Jo-Ann’s, of all places! Looks like something inherited from grandma, doesn’t it? :)

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 7:29 pm

This sounds amazing! Your ice-cream recipes are just reinforcing the idea that I need to buy an ice-cream maker this summer!

Posted On September 4, 2011 at 7:37 pm

I’ve had some frozen cantaloupe in the freezer for weeks (bought too much melon!) and am looking for a way to use it. Do you think it would work in this recipe? Would you defrost it first?

• Posted On September 4, 2011 at 9:31 pm

I’m sure it would work! You may even be able to go straight from frozen puree to ice cream maker, since it’d be thoroughly chilled already. I’d say as long as your blender is beefy enough to make it into a smooth puree, totally! :)

Posted On September 5, 2011 at 1:00 am

Love this recipe! All your ice cream recipes are great!

Kisses from Hong Kong,
    Nicole

Posted On September 13, 2012 at 7:29 pm

Do you think you could substitute the corn syrup for something else?