Food Blog Forum Orlando

Food Blog Forum Orlando

Tell a story.

If I had to condense all the experiences and lessons of this past weekend’s Food Blog Forum Orlando into a single sentence, that would be it. From the images of Todd & Diane, to the words of David Leite, the speakers throughout the day reinforced the idea that your words and your pictures carry with them a deeper meaning. That it’s not just about the food, it’s about the stories and emotions behind it.

So don’t be surprised if you start seeing some more emotion in my recipes. There are TEARS in those brownies, I tell you! Tears!

But that’s not all I learned.

Lobster Mac and Cheese with Truffled Breadcrumbs

I learned that lobster + truffled breadcrumbs = the holy grail of mac and cheese.

A Taste of Disney Lunch

I learned that Disney knows how to impress a food blogger.

Cool Food Science

See? Oooh. Aaah. (By the way, that’s nitro-whipped, sugar-less pomegranate ice he’s making there, to go in the vanilla lemonade soda float).

Pork Sliders and Super Grain Fries

I learned that fries can be made from unexpected things. Like quinoa. And flax.

Chocolate Olive Oil Mousse

I learned that you don’t have so say much more than “olive oil” and “chocolate” and I’m a goner. Clearly I’m predictable. It’s probably obvious that this chocolate olive oil mousse was my favorite bite of the day.

Epcot Fireworks

I learned that photographing fireworks with the iphone is hard. It’s best to embrace the happy accidents.

Lindsay and Julie

I learned that Julie could give Wonder Woman a run for her money. Seriously people. She’s amazing.

Snap Happy

I learned that food bloggers have an uncanny talent for juggling multiple cameras.

Truffles for Breakfast

I learned that in Florida it’s perfectly acceptable to eat truffles for breakfast. I plan on continuing this tradition back in Nashville.

Rachel-Julie-Jenny-Angie

I learned how many food bloggers can you fit in the back of a car. Four, apparently: Rachel, Julie, Jenny, and Angie.

Mickey Pops

And I learned that Mickey Mouse is quite delic… I mean, er, scrumdiddlyumptious. Because I also learned that I probably use the word delicious too much. I can’t help it, when food’s involved I go weak in the knees.

Is there such a thing as Disney withdrawal? Because I think my husband might have it. Bad. I better keep an eye on him or he’s going to hop a plane to Orlando and move in with Cinderella.

For what it’s worth, this may have been the food blog conference to end all food blog conferences. Walt Disney World went above and beyond to make us feel welcome and indulged. And indulge we did. I left feeling incredibly full – heart, mind, and stomach.

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Thank you for sharing this! The event looks like so much fun!!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 12:56 pm

agreed, agreed, agreed!

i want that olive oil chocolate mousse at the end of EVERY meal from now on. it was so good.

• Posted On March 22, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I KNOW. I wonder if Julie could pull some strings and get us the recipe… :)

• Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Let me work on that! :)

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

this was such a great post and it was so reminiscent of the amazing time we had there!! I had a few hearty laughs throughout your post and pictures..love it! I’m so glad we finally got to meet :) and spend an entire day together! That Vietnamese restaurant was an excellent choice!!

• Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Julie, that’s our go to Viet restaurant for pho. I so wish I got to spend the day with the 3 of you!! We were supposed to but then I got in a 3 hour nap instead! :)

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

that would be incredible. and then she WOULD be superwoman! and i would make her wear a cape at the next FBF :)

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Todd and Diane get around, now, don’t they?

Next time, I am totally going to make it to the Nashville food blog forum. This looks like it was a lot of fun!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I am kicking!!!! myself that I didn’t attend. I saw it last year, and then this year, being advertised and I thought I wouldnt “know” anyone or that it was too far from San Diego…well, I was wrong and want to go next year.

Thanks for sharing the awesome trip pics!!!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:10 pm

Lindsay, I can’t thank you enough for all of your help – the programs, the menu, getting up so darn early with me, stuffing your rental car full of bags and boxes. And Taylor’s help too! I’m so glad you guys made it down and that our husbands finally got to meet. You’re an amazing friend and I’m so grateful to have you in my life! *sniff sniff

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:13 pm

What an epic adventure!! Are you planning on adventuring to FBFPDX this fall? I am so sad I missed Orl that I can’t miss PDX. (especially since I only live 3 hours away…)

Laura
    Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:14 pm

There is most definitely such a thing as Disney withdrawal! I go through it every time we leave. We’ve upped the ante to twice a year (shorter trips, at least), and sometimes that doesn’t feel like enough.

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I’m still totally jealous. I hope they have it there next year too.

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Looks like so much fun! Maybe next year I can make it.

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Looks like SUCH a FUN event! Loved how you wrote the post – great advice. Have to make it to one of these events one day! Hope you are doing well!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:39 pm

This is such a great wrap up post. Wish I could have been there!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 1:51 pm

YAY! What a fun reminder of a wonderful weekend. I’m so glad we got to spend some early morning time together at Disney. It was fun to talk and you and Taylor are both so sweet! Great recap. Can’t wait to see the stories you tell through your posts and pictures! :)

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 2:10 pm

Were you in a banquet room at Epcot? I was at an awards ceremony on the 13th and it looks just like your pictures. But I’ll have to say this, I better learn the manual functions on my camera because your pictures look waaay better than mine! Amazing!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

What a great recap! Beautiful photos and definitely captured the magic of the weekend :) So great to meet you – you’ve just about sold me on moving to wordpress and getting a new design, and you may see an email coming from me soon!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I really, really, REALLY hope that WDW (and Julie) hosts another FBF. I hate I missed this one SO MUCH. I still have a lot to learn and this looks like the best way to learn it! Glad you had a great time!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 3:32 pm

i love you :)

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Oh it looks so much fun! One day I’m going to manage to co-ordinate a trip to the US with a FBF, they look amazing!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm

What a great time! I wish they would do a food blogger forum in Reno. Man, I aparantly need to move closer to the food blogger action…either that or hop on a plane. Glad you had a wonderful culinary experience. I’d love a stemless martini glass of mac and cheese and lobster, holy crap!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Wonderful! I had such a great time there! I’m sorry we didn’t get the chance to meet. I learned that I have MUCH to learn!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 8:27 pm

I agree!! FBFOrl was an absolutely amazing experience and I learned SO much! I have so many ideas for my blog, I can’t wait to have free time this weekend to sit down and put my ideas down on paper (or on the Internet, rather, haha). It was great meeting you during the round table sessions!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 9:54 pm

WoW! That looks like a lot of fun!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I concur on the delishousness. Mickey’s “premium” ice cream treats are pretty much my favorite Disneyland treat!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Will agree with you in the fact that FBF Orlando was an out of this world amazing experience. Your pictures are beautiful and you are one of those funny writers. You did good!!! Plus, I also say “delicious” way too much when it comes to food! Need a thesaurus!

Posted On March 22, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Great recap and so glad we got to meet, albeit a short “hi”, “how are you”, “great to finally meet you” & “promise to catch up later?” :D

Kelly
    Posted On March 23, 2012 at 12:21 am

I hope you are still eating truffles for breakfast… not everyday, but some days…

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 12:32 am

Wow this food blog event looks huge! I’m sure you would have heard a lot of interesting tips!

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 1:02 am

This event is so good to pass up, but unfortunately I am too far away. Food looks delicious. I must try the olive oil chocolate mousse. You wouldn’t give us the recipe by any chance?
    Valentina

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

Great wrap up! Love this! It is always great to see you and your sweet husband! What a great time! Hope to see you soon in Nashville

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 10:18 am

Lobster truffled breadcrumb macaroni cheese? Think I just died and went to heaven.

This sounded like such a fun trip – I’m with Kathryn – can we put together a UK party for the next one?!

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

Oh my! HOW FUN!!

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

What a fun post and looks like it was a blast to have at Disney World. Hope they plan it there again next year, would love to attend. Thanks for sharing all those great pics!

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 4:22 pm

This sounds like an amazing conference. I love food blogger conferences- wish I could go to ALL of them!!

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 6:15 pm

It’s all just so fabulous I am filled with envy!! Thanks for sharing!

Posted On March 23, 2012 at 6:55 pm

Way to keep up the creative inspiration!!! Continuing education in my book ranks up there with the best investment we can make in our creative buisnesses. Looks like you both had an amazing time. Taylor, we won’t tell the world about your affinity for Disney, but these traits make for excellent fatherhood. I myself {heart} anything Pixar! Great to see your smiling faces! All the best from Minneapolis.

Posted On March 25, 2012 at 9:11 am

Your post is wonderful! I agree that this was an amazing conference! Disney went above and beyond! Thank you for the information from your roundtable session too!

Posted On March 26, 2012 at 12:13 pm

This looks like a great time! I’ve been wanting to join FBF but all I see in the forums is spam for Christian Louboutin and Louis Vuitton. What gives?

Posted On March 30, 2012 at 3:55 pm

OMG I think I seriously just died & went to HEAVEEEENNN with that AMAZING lobster mac & cheese (with truffle oil!!!!!!) thanks for sharring, & I really enjoy your blog :)

Posted On April 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

This years FBF looks like it was amazing! We wish we could have been there :( At least we can read all of the recap posts and we can pretend.

Posted On April 6, 2012 at 1:55 pm

I’ve heard such awesome things about this conference. So bummed that our spring break vacation was already planned! Great recap :)

Posted On April 14, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Growing up in Tennessee, we vacationed in Orlando twice a year (my parents still have their condo there), and I will go to the parks JUST to find those Mickey Mouse pops. Why do they taste so better than your typical chocolate-covered ice cream bar? Disney magic, I suppose.