Olive Oil Rice Krispie Treats

Olive Oil Rice Krispy Treats

We’ve reached the end of our lime green saga. I hope you’ve enjoyed it, and haven’t been too blinded in the process. Unless, of course, you’ve been blinded by desire to abandon the keyboard and go bake, immediately. Then that’s ok.

And this final recipe would be (practically) instant satisfaction. In under 20 minutes you’d be enjoying a bit of sweet and salty, crispy and crunchy goodness. I have to say, there are very few people who’d turn down a good rice krispie treat (and to those people, well, I don’t have anything to say to you).

For this batch, I simply swapped out the butter for extra virgin olive oil, and added a sprinkling of sea salt at the end. Perfection in simplicity.

Olive Oil Rice Krispie Treats

Love & Olive Oil Notepads I’d also like to officially announce the launch of the L&OO shop! Granted, there’s only one thing in there now (the precious notepads I gave away as part of the birthday celebration), but if those do well, I could see the shop growing to include other food-related goodies. I’m kind of excited about the possibilities. :) And be sure to let me know what sorts of bits and bobbles YOU would like to see in the shop!

But for now, notepads! If you didn’t win a set (and those who did should start seeing them in your mailboxes very soon), you can now purchase sets of either 2 or 4 notepads, perfect for grocery lists, recipe notes, or love sonnets dedicated to cookie dough. You know. Normal foodie stuff. I only have a limited number of sets available; and once they’re gone, they’re gone. Visit the L&OO shop today!

Olive Oil Rice Krispie Treats

(by the way, I will not be posting the recipe for the Matcha White Chocolate Shortbread cookies because, frankly, I didn’t like them very much. But I am not a fan of green tea flavor, which came through—quite strongly—in these cookies. If you feel differently about the stuff, the recipe can be found here).

Olive Oil Rice Krispie Treats

Yield: 24 treats

Total Time: 20 minutes

12 ounces marshmallows (about 44 regular or 7 cups mini marshmallows)
3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
7 cups crisp rice cereal
sea salt

Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch baking pan with olive oil or cooking spray.

Melt marshmallows and olive oil together in a large saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally, until completely melted. Remove from heat and fold in cereal, gently turning the mixture until completely coated. Press into prepared pan (you may find it easier to use your hands for this, and if so, generously oil them beforehand so the cereal mixture doesn’t stick). Sprinkle with sea salt. Cut into 2-inch squares.

Treats can be stored, lightly covered in the refrigerator, for up to three days, but are best enjoyed within a day of making them.

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 11:34 am

Great idea to swap the butter for olive oil. Sounds like perfection!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

I’m fascinated by the idea of using olive oil in these – does it make them taste really fruity? Marshmallow krispie treats are hard to beat for a party, yum :-)

Katie
    Posted On February 24, 2012 at 11:40 am

Did the oil mix right with the marshmallows? i tried this once with coconut oil and it was a disaster, the oil didn’t mix in and just made a greasy mess as the melted marshmallow was pushed around in oil in the pan.

• Posted On February 24, 2012 at 11:52 am

It may have taken a bit longer but I didn’t have any issues. Cook it low and slow, I think that’s the key.

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 11:49 am

I never would have guessed to swap the butter for the oil. Interesting!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Ive never really baked sweet foods, or none that come to mind, with olive oil. I need to try it. I Love RKTreats, too. I bet the olive oil is almost better than butter in them.

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 12:48 pm

What an idea. I had nerve even considered switching the butter to oil. (Not sure why?)
    I can’t wait to try!
    Good luck with your shop! It’s a great idea!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 12:53 pm

I LOVED those rice krispies!!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Wow, what an interesting version of rice krispie treats! I certainly never had one with olive oil but it sounds intriguing.

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 1:07 pm

doesn’t get better than a rice krispie! thank youu

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Interesting to swap the olive oil for the butter–healthier and since they’re a favorite around here, a must try!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 1:30 pm

“perfect for grocery lists, recipe notes, or love sonnets dedicated to cookie dough. You know. Normal foodie stuff.”
    this is why i love this blog.
    btw, I spotted Olive&Sinclair chocolate up here in my neighborhood (DC), and scooped it up, based on the seed of an idea planted here. Scrumptiddlyumptious. Thanks again!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 2:17 pm

Very excited for the shop!!! These rice krispies should be very good!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 2:45 pm

I got my notepad in the mail today. What a nice surprise!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 3:57 pm

These remind me of some olive oil gelato I had in the south of France a few summers ago… I was shocked by the concept but when I tried it I couldn’t believe how delicious it was!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 4:30 pm

Great idea! This really has my gears turning :)

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 4:35 pm

The photo alone makes me want them, then the name, then the olive oil. I love the idea of using that in this sweet treat that can be too sweet at times. A adult, kid friendly version, I just need to go to the store ASAP!

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 5:10 pm

I just got my notepad in the mail today! Hooray! It’s so cute, thanks tons.

Posted On February 24, 2012 at 6:23 pm

After you said the notepads were all claimed in about an hour, I was positive I had missed out. Imagine my surprise when I found a notepad in my mail today! Thanks so much!

Posted On February 25, 2012 at 7:15 am

Oh my, rice krispie treats with olive oil? Brilliant! I’ll definitely be making these soon, especially since I got a major craving for rice krispie treats the other day. I wonder what other kinds of oil you could use, with this variation the possibilities seem endless. Perhaps hazelnut oil? Exciting!

Posted On February 25, 2012 at 11:18 am

Sounds delish! Yum!!

David B,
    Posted On February 25, 2012 at 7:34 pm

Thanks for sharing! Excellent delicious recipe. I followed the steps you describe and the the treats turned out to be a hit. It’s amazing how good they still taste despite the lack of butter.

Sweetsugarbelle
    Posted On February 26, 2012 at 12:56 am

What a simply brilliant idea. I loled about the cookies. I was about to go back through and see where I missed the recipe. You made me lol. On a good note, they’re pretty!

Posted On February 26, 2012 at 5:54 pm

id never thought of putting olive oil in rice cripsys! i love them cause theyre super simple and gluten free! yum

Posted On February 27, 2012 at 12:06 am

That platter of goodies looks incredibly inviting! Gorgeous photo too!

Posted On February 27, 2012 at 12:10 am

Isn’t everything better with olive oil? Of course it is…including your little rice crispy treat! They are pretty yummy looking I must say.

Posted On February 27, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Such a great twist on a party classic. x

Posted On February 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

what an interesting idea using olive oil in rice krispie treats! sounds delicious! seriously, no matter how old i get, i still love love love rice krispie treats, they are the best!

tiffany
    Posted On February 28, 2012 at 2:47 pm

Thanks for the notepad! I am intrigued by the idea of the green tea cookies. I will have to see about making them for my husband.

Sarah S.
    Posted On February 28, 2012 at 11:30 pm

I absolutely love my new notepad! The color is just gorgeous! Thanks so much!

Posted On February 29, 2012 at 6:01 pm

These were amazing! I can take or leave rice krispies usually, so I didn’t even try one at the party. I was too busy stuffing my face with macarons. I stuck one in the goodie bag for M. I snuck a bite on the couch and almost wrestled him for the rest. Thanks for keeping violence out of our house… for now :)

Wayne landis
    Posted On March 2, 2012 at 2:00 am

I would suggest t-shirts and baseball caps or how about grocery bags

Posted On March 3, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I love that you added olive oil to these!

Posted On March 7, 2013 at 11:10 am

Olive oil instead of butter seems like reason enough for me to whip up a batch….at least that’s what I’m going to tell myself ;).

Kimberly
    Posted On June 18, 2014 at 6:08 pm

When i was going to make these treats i wanted to use coconut oil, and i opened my coconut oil and it smelled so bad. It was supposed to refrigerate it but i didn’t know, woops! But anyways, i used olive oil, and i used the Fruity Pebbles cereal to make these treats and they tasted so good! the olive oil made them so much sweeter. Thx for this recipe

Jenn
    Posted On September 1, 2014 at 4:26 pm

These are great for those with dairy allergies like my daughter! She loves them and was so happy she could have them.

Martha in KS
    Posted On September 10, 2014 at 9:52 am

Thanks so much for this recipe. I needed to make a birthday “cake” for my niece that is dairy & gluten free  and was searching for an alternative to butter/margarine.  I used coconut oil instead & made it in a loaf pan, then topped it with chocolate chips melted with a little coconut oil & of course sprinkles. She loved it & most important it didn’t give her a tummy ache.