Roasted Beet Risotto

Roasted Beet Risotto

Yep, you can officially call us beet crazy.

But, I mean, how can you not love this? Look at it. It’s hot pink risotto. Hot pink people.

Something about the color of beets just makes me happy. Very few other foods do that. Especially healthy ones. I can’t wait until the beets start rolling in from our CSA this summer. I know Taylor for one is scheming his beet pickling operation, hoping to make the seasonal treat last through the winter. We did a few quick refrigerator pickles last summer, but are looking forward to trying our hand at some more long-lasting variations.

This post also marks our first natural light dinner since last fall. The first meal photographed at dinner time, not leftovers the next day, with no speedlight, in real, honest to goodness, natural light. I know daylight savings time makes most people grumble, and I admit I was one of those when I woke up Monday morning, but the reward at the end of the day was well worth it. Cooking before it gets dark out, what a concept!

Roasted Beet Risotto

Yield: 6 servings

Total Time: 2 hours

3 medium beets (1 1/2 lb with greens), trimmed, leaving 1 inch of stems attached
3 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
3 cups water
1 small onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 425°F.

Tightly wrap beets in a double layer of foil and roast on a baking sheet until very tender, 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours. Cool to warm in foil package, about 20 minutes.

When beets are cool enough to handle, peel them, discarding stems and root ends, then cut into 1/2-inch cubes.

While beets are cooling, bring broth and water to a bare simmer in a 2- to 3-quart saucepan. Keep at a bare simmer, covered.

Cook onion in oil in a wide 4- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add rice and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.

Add wine and simmer briskly, stirring constantly, until absorbed, about 1 minute. Stir in 1/2 cup broth and simmer briskly, stirring constantly, until broth is absorbed. Continue simmering and adding broth, about 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly and letting each addition be absorbed before adding the next, until rice is just tender and creamy-looking, 18 to 22 minutes. (Reserve leftover broth.)

Stir in beets, salt, and pepper (mixture will turn bright pink) and cook, stirring, until heated through. Thin as necessary with some of leftover broth, then stir in cheese and remove from heat.

Recipe from Gourmet Live.

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 8:03 am

I love this idea, and promise I’ll be trying it soon. My boyfriend and I are huge beet fans. We love not only the color, but also the earthiness and subtle sweetness. I bet it was delicious paired with the creamy risotto.

margie/mom
    Posted On March 24, 2011 at 8:08 am

If you lived here on the central coast of CA you would be enjoying fresh beets at the farmer’s markets NOW! Eat your hearts out, no seriously just come and visit more often. This recipe looks great to me, your dad, not so much!

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 8:10 am

We have 1/4 acre garden. We plant two rows of beets that are 30 ft long! We eat as many as we can when they are young and need thinning out…eating the tops and roots intact…so delicious. We keep eating them as they mature and still have plenty at the end of the season to can pickled. I usually can at least 25 pints. They are delicious and last us until the next gardening year! I’m going to try this this weekend! I’m planning on using our canned beets so it will be interesting to see how the ‘pickled’ taste works with the risotto..but we love beets so I can’t see how any dish with beets can be bad!!

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 8:22 am

Oh yummy!! I just made saffron risotto for the first time the other night!! Check it out under my recipes! And if you get a chance what do you think of my jalapeno-banana poppers?

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 8:38 am

I will show this to my roomate – he will love it! He lived in Ukraine last summer and has been adding beets to everything he makes. Great idea!

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 8:44 am

I love the color of this! I bet I could get my little nieces to eat it based on color alone. I made beet pesto once, but that’s my only experience with beets so far. I’m going to keep my eyes open for some at the store to try this out.

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 9:05 am

What a beautiful picture! I’ve never been a massive fan of beets but this looks so gorgeous, I might just change my mind!

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 9:29 am

This is SO beautiful! I love beets, but my fiance hates them. However, he loves risotto, so maybe I could get him to enjoy this :) It’s too pretty not to make!

Circeo
    Posted On March 24, 2011 at 10:47 am

I usually eat beets pickled or boiled with bacon; never tried risotto. Would adding a little bacon be considered too offensive? Maybe bacon grease instead of olive oil…

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 2:09 pm

The color of this is gorgeous!

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 2:47 pm

That color is awesome!! Does it turn your mouth pink?? That would be even cooler :) But seriously, what a festive dish for a party! Love it.

Posted On March 24, 2011 at 3:17 pm

I just did a doubletake while looking at the menu for a restaurant I’m headed to tonight in Chicago called Fountainhead where they have something called Hot Pink Risotto on the menu! It is also risotto made with beets – how funny!

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 7:18 am

Two things that I love – more sunlight and the murderous colour of beetroot dishes. Yum. x

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 8:18 am

Hot pink risotto! Hell yes.

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 8:44 am

Oh you and all your lovely light! Quit bragging!! ;)

Lovely risotto!

• Posted On March 25, 2011 at 8:49 am

Hey, you’ve got some pretty decent light yourself now! :) Your kale soup photo looks so sharp it almost starts to feel 3D. <3

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 2:02 pm

I’m so happy we can finally eat in our garden again,
    it won’t get dark before 19.30! I love risotto, and this seems like an interesting recipe. Variety is the spice of life, I ate enough mushrooms over the past few months. Definitely going to give this a try!

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 2:37 pm

This sounds amazing, i’ll have to make this soon. I think the colour is just right for spring.

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 4:17 pm

This looks absolutely delicious. Beets are worth the craze, I love them!!

Posted On March 25, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Yum! Just got beets from our CSA. Now I know what to do with them!

Posted On March 26, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I am a HUGE beet fan! This is such a unique way to showcase beets. A must try for me! Enjoy your weekend.

Posted On March 27, 2011 at 3:06 am

You’re right; how can you not love the color of this beautiful risotto! Totally love it…

Posted On March 28, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Wow that is so pink!! I cant wait to try growing beets this year

Posted On March 29, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Gorgeous color! I made a Broccoli and Bacon Risotto recently that was very good and now I am ready to try another risotto.

-Brenda

Posted On April 5, 2011 at 3:37 am

What a great looking dish! I like.

Posted On April 13, 2011 at 10:32 am

I can’t wait to try this! I get so many beets in my winter CSA that I am constantly looking for new ideas to do with them.

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

I love it when beets turn my hands bright red! Can’t wait to try this.

Kitty
    Posted On October 1, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Have been dying to make this since I first saw it, but wanted to try it before I tested it on a man who’s not fond of beets- added a little shredded chicken, absolutely divine. Will definitely make this one for him next time!