How I love thee.
I’ll admit, it wasn’t always love. It wasn’t even friendship to begin with. In fact, I’ve been a tomato skeptic most of my life, always requesting “no tomatoes” on my sandwiches, tacos, and burgers. But now I know that aversion was only because I had not experienced the Tennessee tomato in all its glory. Once I sunk my teeth into a slice of a perfectly ripe heirloom tomato (purchased because it was too darn beautiful not to) and sprinkled with a bit of sea salt, I changed my tune right then and there.
Perhaps it’s the hot and humid summers, intensifying the sugars and making for the sweetest, juiciest tomatoes ever.
Maybe it’s the fertile soil. Or the soggy air. Or the Southern hospitality that makes Tennessee tomatoes unlike any other.
Whatever it is, all I know is when they start appearing in the markets in June, I can’t get enough of them.
Sure, I’m looking forward to the welcome relief of cooler temperatures and lower humidity come autumn. But I’d gladly deal with the oppressive heat for another few weeks of perfectly ripe tomatoes. I plan to engorge myself with as much tomato goodness as possible while I still can.
Who’s with me?
To help you out on your epic tomato quest, I’ve gathered up some of my favorite tomato recipes from around the web for your gastronomic pleasure. You can see every single recipe we’ve ever made with tomatoes in the archives (or, at least the ones since I started tagging them), but I’ve pulled a few of my favorites for you here.
Our Favorite Tomato Recipes:
- Warm Gnocchi and Heirloom Tomato Salad
- Pickled Green Tomatoes (pick your green tomatoes before they freeze!)
- Fresh Tomato Soup with Mascarpone
- Tomato Preserves (save those summer tomatoes for a rainy day)
- Open-Faced Heirloom Tomato Sandwiches (favorite. sandwiches. EVER.)
- Watermelon Blueberry Salsa
- Tomato Basil Lemonade (it’s good! I promise!)
- Spicy Tomato Peach Jam
- Fresh Corn Cakes with Avocado and Goat Cheese Salsa
- Heirloom Tomato Caprese Sandwiches
- Green Bean Salad with Goat Cheese Dressing
- Seared Rib-Eye Steak with Tomato-Caper Relish
- Caprese Salad with Basil Vinaigrette
- French Tomato Tartlets
- Spicy Sauteed Fish with Olives and Cherry Tomatoes
- Heirloom Tomato Panzanella
- Toasted Tomato, Basil, and Goat Cheese Sandwiches
More Tomato Recipes from Around the Web…
- Spaghettini with Roasted Tomatoes, Fresh Basil, and Toasted Garlic Breadcrumbs from Blogging Over Thyme
- Baked Eggs on Roasted Cherry Tomatoes from Cookie + Kate
- Burrata and Heirloom Tomato Caprese Salad from FoodieCrush
- Heirloom Tomato, Avocado and Burrata on Garlic Toast from How Sweet it is
- Fresh Tomato Soup with Skillet Corn and Feta from Seasons & Suppers
- Slow Roasted Black Cod with Red Chermoula from Bon Appetit
- Buttered Brie and Heirloom Tomato Toast from Half Baked Harvest
- Roasted Heirloom Tomato Soup with Basil Oil from Love.Life.Eat.
- Blistered Cherry Tomatoes from What’s Gaby Cooking