Kumquat Margaritas (Happy Cinco de Mayo!)

Kumquat Margarita Recipe

Feel free to tell me enough with the kumquats already. And I’ll stop. Really, I will.

Ok, maybe not.

It’s not my fault they just happened to be on sale this week. And my complaining about the high price of kumquats earlier made it necessary for me to buy them. Even though I didn’t have any plans to use them.

I never pass up a good deal.

Sadly, they just kind of sat there, because I was really and truly too busy to use them. Until, of course, today, when I realized that the simple fact that it was the 5th of May made it perfectly acceptable to drink margaritas on a Thursday.

And when the only citrus you have in your fridge is a pint of kumquats, it’s pretty obvious how I’d be using them. The margaritas practically made themselves.

Kumquat Margaritas

Aww, kumquat, I love you too!

I’m actually kind of surprised I couldn’t find a recipe for kumquat margaritas. Surely I’m not the first one to stumble upon the idea. Maybe it’s because it’s not exactly easy to juice a kumquat. Believe me, I tried. And when that didn’t work, I just threw them in the blender. Whole. It doesn’t get any easier than that.

The kumquat gives this margarita an extra punch of sourness, something you just don’t find in ordinary orange and even lime margaritas. Almost like you’ve dissolved a sour patch kid along with the sugar syrup. But I promise, it’s not too much pucker. Just right. Delicious.

I’m actually kind of hoping they’ll be on sale again next week. So I can buy more. Question is, what should I do with them? Please, dear readers, share your favorite kumquat recipes!! I need more fuel for my tart obsession.

Kumquat Margaritas

Yield: 3 servings

Total Time: 10 min

12 ounces kumquats, halved and seeded
1/2 cup water
tequilla
triple sec
sugar syrup*
ice

Combine kumquats and water in a blender and blend on high until smooth(ish). Pour mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove pulp and big chunks.

For each drink, in a cocktail shaker, combine 3 ounces (5-6 tablespoons) kumquat puree with 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) tequila, 1/2 ounce (1 tablespoon) triple sec, and sugar syrup to taste (I used 2 tablespoons, Taylor preferred it with 1). Shake well to combine. Pour over ice. Garnish glasses with kumquat slices and salt, if desired.

*To make a quick sugar syrup, combine equal parts water and sugar in a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Microwave on high for 1 minute or until hot, and then stir until sugar is completely dissolved.

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 7:39 pm

I’ve yet yo try a kumquat!

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Looks and sounds really good.

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 8:44 pm

How adorable is the tiny kumquat slice on the side of the that glass? Yum.

Jim T
    Posted On May 5, 2011 at 8:50 pm

The color is stunning and I agree: the tiny kumquat slice on the edge of the glass is adorable. Very nice photos; makes me want to drink one and I don’t drink.

Savannah Hattan
    Posted On May 5, 2011 at 9:11 pm

YUM! Kumquats always look so enticing, but I’ve never stumble across a must-have recipe… until now!
    PS-My favorite way to infuse a tequila is with hibiscus and rosehips-it makes THE BEST margarita! Of course, I haven’t tasted this one… yet. :)

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 9:51 pm

That looks delicious! Although I have never used kumquats before. I can see why they would be frustrating though because I recently tried juicing key limes… not fun!

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 2:12 am

Lurking at the back of a cupboard, I do actually have a bottle of kumquat liqueur. Although it’s a rather disturbing colour, I might actually use it for something now and see if I can incorporate it into a proper drink rather than just being a bit scared of it!

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 4:34 am

Delicious!

Renee
    Posted On May 6, 2011 at 5:50 am

Idea?: a kumquat pie made key lime pie style!!! Would be SO YUMMY

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 9:52 am

hmm… never ever had a kumquat & now I feel like i’m missing out! :) See you at BlogHer food in a couple of weeks! :)

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 10:27 am

Kumquat is such a fun word to say! I think it will be stuck in my head all day. I’ve never had a kumquat, but since it sounds fun and looks colorful, it has to be good! I love your twist on margaritas!

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 10:50 am

I’ve never tried a kumquat which is pretty sad… I have a recipe for kumquat marmalade that I’ve been wanting to make though!

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 11:22 am

This is such a wonderful idea for flavor combinations! Love the color too!

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 11:30 am

omg the little kumquats are SO cute!!! And this looks absolutely delicious… Perfect for Cinco de Mayo or the Friday after!! :)

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

Wow I love this margarita idea. It’s fabulous. I once made kumquat white choclate chips cookies that came out pretty well. I did the same as you did for the ritas – pureed them whole and dumped it in the batter.

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 5:27 pm

The kumquats are so adorable!! And this margarita recipe looks fabulous. Wish I had one of those yesterday. :)

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 7:15 am

Beautiful photos Could I use Grand Marnier instead of Triple Sec? Looks so refreshing.

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 10:11 am

love how bright and colorful they look! :) Salud!

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 11:23 am

I love your blog !
    AMAZING!
    With love Little Sable

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Lindsay,
    Your photos get better and better with each post…and I love this kumquat margarita idea!

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 8:41 pm

What beautiful pictures!!! I’ve just got to try making this sometime because of how pretty they look! I just don’t think it’s fair that I can only look at these gorgeous drinks when I want one so bad!! :)

I’m never had a kumquat in my life and I want to see what I’m missing out on!
    I’ll see if I can find some in the store, but I have a question. Do you put the kumquats in the blender whole…with the peel?

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 10:25 pm

I’m constantly buying kumquats, they are just so cute! I keep thinking I’m going to do something with them, and have a couple times made a kumquat garnish, but usually they languish on the counter, looking cute, until they no longer look cute and go into the compost. I think a kumquat margarita is the perfect solution to the dilemma!

Posted On May 8, 2011 at 11:22 am

Thanks for sharing the recipe…kumquat margaritas looks refreshing. Nice photos too.

Ruby
    Posted On May 8, 2011 at 2:01 pm

Why don’t you make few jars of kumquat marmalade? So you’ll have it for a long time! It’ll be great on toast, pancake, cheesecake, scones, etc.
    I hope they’ll be on sale again!:)
    White on Rice Couple is a incredible site, their recipes never disappoint:

Posted On May 9, 2011 at 11:36 am

I love this idea! Actually I was at Taco Mamacita a couple weeks ago and they had Kumquat Margaritas (or was it Mojitos) as their special drink and I thought of you.

Did you throw the kumquats in with the skin and all? I’ve never tried kumquats before, but I’m really curious now after reading all your posts. I love some sour citrus!

Posted On May 9, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Gah! Kumquats are so cute!! And when sliced it looks like it’s filled with hearts!

*sigh* I’m in love.

Posted On May 10, 2011 at 8:56 am

Those are the cutest little kumquats ever! They make the perfect margarita. I made kumquat marmalade once. They’re photogenic little critters, aren’t they?

Posted On May 16, 2011 at 5:16 pm

That sounds wonderful!

Posted On May 17, 2011 at 6:51 pm

This looks yummy! Now, to find kumquats!

Posted On May 18, 2011 at 4:37 pm

I have a neighbor with a kumquat tree. I’ll have to do some stealth picking one night :). They look darling on a drink, really, TOO cute!

Posted On May 20, 2011 at 4:57 pm

I have a kumquat tree and am always looking for ways to use them. I’m going to try this recipe this weekend since I also have some tequila left over from cinch de mayo. Thanks for sharing.