Scallion Pancakes

Scallion Pancakes

When you find yourself drowning in green onions, these pancakes are the obvious choice. They use a good handful of them, and you can probably sneak a couple more into the accompanying dish (green onion + ginger + soy = yum sauce). And did I mention we had a lot of green onions? We did everything we could to use them all up, and that meant pancakes. Lots of pancakes. Not that I’m complaining or anything.

Green Onion Pancakes How-To

Amazing how a simple ball of flour and water can turn into something so good. These pancakes make a delicious side for any Asian meal. They are great for sopping up sticky sesame and soy sauces that would otherwise go to waste.

How to Make Scallion Pancakes

The rolling technique looks tricky, but it really isn’t. You’ll have green onions squirting out of one side and vegetable oil coming out of the other. But don’t worry, that’s what it’s supposed to do. Once it’s crisp and golden brown delicious it’s all good in my book.

And what do you know, we used up all our green onions! It’s a miracle!

Scallion Pancakes

Makes 6 pancakes.

2 cups flour
1/2 cup warm water
1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
vegetable oil
salt

Mix flour with water until it forms a smooth dough. Knead for 2-3 minutes or until the dough is smooth and very elastic. Coat this ball of dough lightly in oil and put it back in the bowl. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and let the dough rest for about 30 minutes.

Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces and roll into balls. On a lightly floured work surface, roll a ball into a thin circle (about 1/16" thickness). Brush circle with vegetable oil, and sprinkle liberally with salt. Sprinkle evently with about 1/4 cup of the green onions.

Starting on one end, roll the dough up tightly, creating one long snake of rolled-up dough. Then coil the snake into a round dough bundle. Pinch in end. With the palm of your hand, press the roll from the top to flatten it slightly, then gently roll into a 5-6" circle (about 1/8" thickness).

Heat a tablespoon of vegetable oil in a large heavy skillet or sauté pan over medium-high heat. When the oil shimmers, pick up the pancake dough and gently set in the pan. It should sizzle, but not burn. Cook for 2 minutes on one side or until golden brown and bubbly. Flip and cook another 2 minutes or until the other side is golden brown as well.

Repeat with remaining pancakes.

Cut the pancake into wedges with a pizza cutter, and serve immediately with soy sauce or another dipping sauce.

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 1:15 pm

Congrats on using up your bounty! I know how you feel–we picked about 8 pounds of cherry tomatoes last night, 10 huge heirloom tomatoes and 10 cucumbers. We’re drowning! Help! ;)

• Posted On July 15, 2010 at 1:20 pm

Happy to help… just send some of those delicious tomatoes to me! Our two plants are a bit disappointing, think I’m having tomato withdrawals. :)

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I love love love scallion pancakes! This recipe looks great.

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 2:38 pm

Great post! They sure look yummy!

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 3:21 pm

So THAT’S how you roll those things. I always wondered how they get the scallions so wedged in there.

Awesome!

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 3:27 pm

good golly my sis will love these. she went nuts for them in NY!

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 6:31 pm

LOVE scallion pancakes, but have never made. These look EASY!! Thanks.

Christine
    Posted On July 15, 2010 at 7:53 pm

Would Olive Oil work instead of vegetable oil? Thanks!

Posted On July 15, 2010 at 10:05 pm

I love these! I’ve always wanted to make them but never even thought of trying. I can’t wait to make them!

Posted On July 16, 2010 at 8:43 am

I would have never been so creative with using up my green onions, but now I can be! Great rolling technique, you definitely made this look easier than I thought!

Posted On July 16, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Such simple basic ingredients make a beautiful dish. I love this.

Posted On July 16, 2010 at 6:35 pm

OMG Yum! I want those! What type of flour did you use? Which brand and what does it say on the front of the bag? Do you think I could use gluten free flour grown and milled in Robertson Co?

• Posted On July 20, 2010 at 9:25 pm

We just used regular old unbleached all-purpose flour (kroger brand, I think!). I have never personally worked with gluten free flour, so I can’t say whether or not it’d work. If you do try it, let me know!

Posted On July 16, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Oh my gosh. I am OBSESSED with scallion pancakes. I never realized I could make them from home!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Posted On July 17, 2010 at 5:38 am

You are my savior! I’m literally drowning in scallions….

Posted On July 17, 2010 at 9:17 am

Love making pancakes but I’m a bit old fashion I guess. Must try making these especially because I love all kinds of onions..

Katherine
    Posted On July 17, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Is it possible to use whole wheat flour?

• Posted On July 20, 2010 at 9:26 pm

It might change the texture a bit, but I say, why not? I’ve also seen whole-wheat white flour, which might be produce a better texture than coarser ground flours. If you try it, be sure to let me know how it turns out!

Pen
    Posted On July 18, 2010 at 1:10 pm

Looks like an uttapam, sorta kinda

Posted On July 18, 2010 at 7:56 pm

whoa, why did i think these were really complicated before? yum.

Nicki Wood
    Posted On July 22, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I made these for years — they’re pretty easy and so good — thanks for the reminder. Wonder if they ‘d be good made with our bumper crop of chives…

Posted On August 2, 2010 at 1:30 pm

i can’t resist getting these at chinese restaurants– i just love them! i have never made them myself, so thanks for posting. the pics of the rolling process are super-helpful!

Emily
    Posted On August 27, 2010 at 9:20 am

I lived in China for over a year – they served these from road side carts in the morning with an egg fried onto it. Simply create a little pocket in the dough as it browns and puffs up and crack the egg onto it. The egg should settle into the pancake a bit flip so that the egg is on the griddle and cook till just done. Fold the pancake in half and tuck in some tasty arugula and a dab of hot sauce – simply heaven.

Posted On August 27, 2010 at 7:41 pm

Great recipe! My family loves scallion pancakes so they all wanted to try this recipe when I told them about it. We were a little nervous at first because the dough seemed a little dry but we forged ahead. They came out awesome! We all loved them and had a nice evening cooking together instead of ordering take-out. Thanks for sharing!

Angela
    Posted On February 19, 2011 at 7:35 pm

I just made these and theyre more of the crispy version. If you want, as my mom says thats is an easier alternative, you can use flour and water or even milk and make it into a batter of thickish consistency and pour onto a skillet as you would with pancake mix. It’ll become a more chewy version than rolling out dough. : )

epb
    Posted On March 27, 2011 at 10:40 am

Happy to have just found your website and thrilled at this recipe: I’ve just been found to be gluten (and corn) sensitive so am looking for creative ways of replicating a bread product I’d actually wish to eat. These look yummy, certainly doable with gluten-free flour mix.

Ana Rocha
    Posted On June 20, 2012 at 11:33 am

Thank you! I was after this bread long since. I will try it immediately!

donna
    Posted On September 21, 2013 at 4:11 pm

I am curious what main dishes would taste good with these pancakes. I am inspired to try the recipe.  thankyou! I am also looking for a vegan main dish to serve withh these pancakes. any ideas? thankyou! :-)