Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Lime Sauce

I always love a good fish taco. And as good as our last recipe was, these were better. I love mangos. I love lime. I love cilantro. Combine them altogether in a sweet and spicy salsa on top of some good fish – delicious.

Maybe it’s because of some recent sketchy fish experiences we’ve had with frozen fish, but we’ve decided to treat ourselves to some nice fresh fish at Whole Foods. Rather than going for the boring old mahi or tilapia, we though we’d try something new we’d never heard of – Amberjack. It was firm enough that it didn’t fall apart, but still tender and flaky. It made for some delicious fish tacos, that’s for sure! If only Tennessee was closer to the coast so we could have really fresh seafood more often. :)

Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Lime Sauce

Yield: 2 servings

• 1 pounds flaky white fish, such as halibut, tilapia, sole, or snapper (we used Amberjack)
  • 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 tablespoons soy sauce

For Lime Sauce:

• 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
  • 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 chipotle chile in adobo sauce, finely chopped
  • 1 garlic clove, finely chopped or pressed
  • Salt

For Mango Salsa:

• 1 bell pepper (red, yellow, and/or orange), deseeded and chopped into 1/4-inch squares
  • 1/2 small red onion, finely chopped
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, de-seeded and diced
  • 2 just-ripe mangoes, peeled and chopped into 1/2-inch square chunks
  • 1 handful cilantro, washed, dried, de-stemmed, and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • Salt to taste

To assemble:

• 10 to 12 corn tortillas, warmed
  • 3 cups shredded cabbage

1. Combine the fresh lime juice with the vegetable oil and soy sauce in a rectangular baking dish (not metal). Add the fish, turn to coat, and set aside to marinate for at least 15 minutes.
  2. For lime sauce, in a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, lime juice, chipotle, and garlic. Season to taste with salt.
  3. For salsa, toss together peppers, onion, mango, cilantro, garlic, and lime juice in a bowl; season to taste with salt.
  4. Remove fish from the marinade and grill or saute over medium-heat until cooked through and browned. Let cool slightly then flake into bite-size chunks.
  5. To assemble, place a bit of fish on a warm tortilla, drizzle with the chipotle-lime sauce, and top with cabbage and mango salsa.

Recipe from Culinate.

Posted On April 26, 2008 at 10:54 pm

I must say, I love this blog! so simple and fresh.
    - Jessie -

Posted On April 27, 2008 at 7:58 am

I printed off the same recipe and have been waiting to try it. Yours look great…maybe I will try it this weekend!

Posted On April 27, 2008 at 8:45 am

I love fish tacos and having them with mango sounds perfect!

Posted On April 27, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Mmm, yes, these sound so summery and fresh. Can’t wait to try.

Posted On April 28, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Yes- fish tacos! Gorgeous. Lime and cilantro are on my top ten flavor list.

Posted On April 28, 2008 at 7:31 pm

I don’t even really like fish but these look and sound delish! Maybe I’ll work up the courage to give them a try :)

Posted On April 30, 2008 at 9:26 am

i’m a fish taco fanatic… i recently blogged about them too. but yours look excellent. i might need to make them this weekend…

Posted On April 30, 2008 at 11:17 pm

I’m a fish taco fanatic too. We often pick them up for dinner here in So. Cal. I’ve not heard of that fish but will check it out sometime at our Whole Foods.

I tried a blackened salmon taco recipe once that had a mango salsa. That was quite good too.

Posted On August 14, 2008 at 10:25 pm

Looks very colorful and healthy! I can’t wait to try making them.

Posted On August 15, 2008 at 9:45 am

great recipe, i’ll try it.

Posted On September 7, 2008 at 9:50 pm

Wow, I’m not a fish taco fan, but these look great. Thanks so much!

christina
    Posted On April 15, 2010 at 6:19 pm

This has been my go-to fish taco recipe ever since you posted it 2 years ago, thank you!!

Lena
    Posted On May 24, 2010 at 11:21 am

Is there any idea on the quantity of the sour cream? It’s not noted in the ingredients list.

Desire' Cruz
    Posted On August 3, 2010 at 6:22 pm

These were delicious! My husband said they were the best fish taco’s he has ever had!

Desire' Cruz
    Posted On August 3, 2010 at 6:23 pm

These were delicious!

Posted On January 17, 2011 at 5:25 pm

WOW!!!! These were delicous. The yogurt topping with mango salsa really made this a fully flavorfull dish. I loved it and so did my 5 year old son!

Wendy Junco
    Posted On March 30, 2012 at 2:42 pm

These are amazing. This is the second time in two weeks that I am making it upon request from the entire family. Very easy and fresh.

Jeff
    Posted On May 13, 2012 at 1:23 pm

1 lb of fish, 10-12 tortillas, makes 2 servings?

Rhonda
    Posted On January 26, 2013 at 3:23 pm

I am making these as I am typing this comment! :) The salsa smells and tastes wonderful! It’s chilling in the refrigerator now. I made the lime sauce using sour cream instead of the yogurt because I didn’t have any, and that too is chillin! And tastes incredible. The fish is about to go into the sauce pan and WHOOP! There we go! LOL My husband has been asking me to make these for forever. I will come back and let you know how it all turns out. Thank you for this recipe.

Paul
    Posted On March 27, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Very good! Used sour cream rather than mayo. Still awesome. There did seem to be a tad too much cilantro. Guess my hands are bigger than yours!

Denine
    Posted On April 15, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I used avacado instead of yogurt very good

Chuck
    Posted On May 5, 2013 at 10:30 am

I used blackened fish from the Big Green Egg. I will be using this recipe again. They were amazing, neighbors called the next day about leftovers . So we are having them again tonight! !

Lorenzo
    Posted On July 9, 2013 at 11:10 pm

This is a great recipe! I’ve made it for my girlfriend who is now my wife ;) I did, however, butter poached the fish with garlic and thyme and it was amazing! This has been my go-to fish taco recipe for years.

Ohad H
    Posted On July 23, 2013 at 3:25 am

Simply fantastic. So many tastes exploding in the mouth all at once, just great.

Pat Hackbarth
    Posted On April 3, 2014 at 6:11 pm

Was thrilled to find that I had come to your site. I was looking for fish taco recipes as I have 8 women coming for dinner tomorrow evening, as well as my 3 best friends here in Hawaii, and I wanted a variety of fish taco ingredients for the many pallets of the gals. So thrilled that I came upon your Fish Tacos with Mango Salsa and Cilantro Lime Sauce.

The cool thing about the 8 woman-they are Naval Officers assigned to the newly commissioned amphibious ship USS Anchorage that pulled into port a few days ago to host a multi-country meeting. One of the officers is the Executive Officer and she is awesome. Karl and I met her when we were taken on a tour of the ship by college room mate of one of dearest friends. It truly is a small world.

On another note, as I am sure Kurt has shared with you, we now live in Hawaii and are loving life. If you need a nice vacation, please consider visiting us. We have a lovely home, compliments of the Marine Corps, and an extra car….and a map. Karl will be stationed here for another two years and then we don’t know where the Marine Corps will send him for his last two years before retirement.

Our very best to you both and we hear of you often from Kurt, Teresa, and Grandma.

Love, Pat

Nate
    Posted On July 14, 2014 at 1:05 pm

How could I substitute greek yogurt for the mayo/yogurt mixture?