Spicy Tomato Peach Jam

Spicy Tomato Peach Jam

Free choice tomatoes.

Those three little words make me giddy.

Let me explain. Our CSA isn’t organized in your typical get-a-box-of-veggies-each-week way. Rather, you bring your bushel basket to the weekly pickup, and can fill it up with the veggies, herbs, and greens of your choice. You have a set quota (say, 5 potatoes, 1 melon, 1 handful of basil, and so forth) based on what is available, but if you really hate radishes (and let me tell you, after an unfortunate incident with a daikon radish last summer, we really hate radishes) you don’t have to take them. Less food is wasted and everyone is happier (oh, how glad we are not to have to take radishes).

But some weeks, there is such an abundance of something that any and all quotas are thrown out the window. You can take as much as you want.

That, my friends, is free choice.

Not quite as exciting when it is free choice summer squash or potatoes, but tomatoes? When the tomatoes are overflowing their crates… it’s like Christmas.

So when free choice tomatoes appeared a few weeks ago, I loaded up my basket with dozens of gorgeous romas with the complete intention of shoving them into jars and stashing them away for the winter months.

However, my original plans of tomato sauce were quickly put by the wayside as soon as I saw this: spicy tomato jam with peaches. Tomato jam? I’ve never heard of such a thing, but it sounds incredibly dreamy.

It’s savory and it’s sweet, it’s spicy and it’s sublime. Screw tomato sauce, I happily used every one of my precious free choice tomatoes in this lovely, truly lovely concoction.

Grilled Cheese with Tomato Peach Jam

Do you know what this is? It might look like a grilled cheese sandwich, and, well, technically, it is; but smeared with a generous amount of this tomato peach jam, it’s like having a toasty grilled cheese with a steaming bowl of tomato soup, all in one. Instead of on the side, the soup is inside the sandwich. A marvelous mashup. A divine convergence of two of the world’s most comforting foods in one compact package.

Spicy Tomato Peach Jam

Yield: 4 to 5 half-pint jars

3 lbs roma (paste) tomatoes
2 peaches
2 hot red peppers (jalepeños, thai chilies, etc), finely minced
juice of 1 lemon
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
2 tablespoons low sugar powdered pectin

Prepare canner and wash/sterilize 5 half-pint mason jars. Keep jars in hot (not boiling) water until ready to use.

Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil. Cut an x-shaped slit in the ends of tomatoes and peaches. Boil for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon and place immediately in an ice water bath to stop the cooking process. When cool to touch, the skins should peel off easily. Coarsely chop, reserving juices. You should end up with approximately 4 cups of chopped tomato. Do the same thing to peel peaches; then chop.

In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup of sugar and pectin. You can choose to use more or less pectin depending on how "set" you want your jam. I used 2 tablespoons and the jam was very loose. If you prefer more, use up to an additional 2-3 tablespoons as desired.

In a saucepan, combine chopped tomatoes, peaches, peppers, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook until reduced by approximately 1/3, about 30 minutes, stirring regularly.

Stir in pectin mixture. Bring to a full rolling boil that cannot be stirred down. Quickly stir in remaining sugar. Return to a boil, and boil for exactly 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim off any foam.

Ladle hot jam into jars, leaving 1/4-inch of headspace. Wipe jar rims and threads. Screw on lids and rings. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove from water and let cool completely, 12 to 24 hours. Check seals. Any unsealed jars should be refrigerated and used within 3 weeks.

Free Printable Canning Labels - Tomato Peach Bonus! You guys love your printables, that’s for sure! Since I cannot bear to have an unlabeled jar, I figured I may as well share my labels with you. This jam is worthy of beautiful labels, that I know.

To use: View and download the label PDF by clicking the thumbnail to the right. Print out the labels onto full-sheet sticker paper. Cut out and adhere to your jar lids. They are perfectly sized for standard narrow-mouth canning jars. Need label paper? Try here or here.

Disclaimer: Copyright Love & Olive Oil. For personal use only. If you post about or share these labels, please credit appropriately and do not link directly to the downloadable file but rather to this post. Please do not distribute these downloadable files. Thank you much!

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 9:34 am

this has just MADE MY DAY.

I love spicy tomato peach jam. And free choices.

Amen.

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

This looks so delicious! I’m now craving that fabulous looking grilled cheese on this yucky rainy day we’re having in Philly!

*Allison

Robin
    Posted On September 23, 2011 at 9:48 am

Which CSA do you belong to?

• Posted On September 23, 2011 at 10:14 am

the Barefoot Farmer.

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 11:14 am

What a gorgeous recipe…I love it when there’s a glut of veg going spare, especially if it’s tomatoes! Just read your comment on Fiona Beckett’s blog too – love that attitude…you’ve proved it IS possible to take beautiful photos and still eat while the food is hot/at its best :-)

• Posted On September 23, 2011 at 11:25 am

Thanks! And this grilled cheese was totally still hot and melty when we ate it. :) hehe.

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 11:27 am

Perfect! Gorgeous photos and tastes good…what could be better? :-)

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 12:08 pm

I just started a weekly dinner menu plan and can’t wait to incorporate some of your recipes!
    Thanks for sharing! YUM

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Love this! SO creative and interesting! I must try :)

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 3:36 pm

Lindsay this looks sooo good!

I have a major addiction to TJ’s mango + red pepper chutney. It’s spicy and fruit based but no garlic/onions/sodium which is rare for most dips but for me, it’s the ONLY way.

Your recipe could just wean me right off theirs. Thank you!!!

It looks…amazing!

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I was already drawn in by the title, but then you say it tastes like a grilled cheese AND a bowl of tomato soup? You have me hooked :)

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 4:56 pm

The idea of a free choice CSA is great, less waste and you get what you want! I love your printables, I will maybe use them one day when I finally can something…

Posted On September 23, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Wow, this looks amazing! Tomatoes are still in season in Spain and peaches too (I think!) I can’t wait to try this… and look through the rest of your archives! Take care!

Posted On September 24, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I have not heard of such a thing as free choice! This is a concept I like a lot. I don’t typically do CSAs, but I like what you described a lot!

(and I love radishes! but only French breakfast radishes.)

Posted On September 24, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Love this flavor combination. Happy Jamming!

Posted On September 24, 2011 at 5:23 pm

This is really unique! Love this!

Cath
    Posted On September 25, 2011 at 2:55 am

Oooh loving this – I’ve been wanting a different way of using all our overflowing tomatoes. Thank you!

Shannon
    Posted On September 25, 2011 at 10:52 am

This looks absolutely amazing. I plan to make it today. Do you think you could you use liquid pectin instead of powdered?

Posted On September 26, 2011 at 3:59 am

I’ll be honest, I’ve been seeing “tomato jam” pop up a lot lately, and never really thought to jump on it… until I saw that you smeared it in some lovely gooey grilled cheese. That won me over. Making it ASAP.

Posted On September 26, 2011 at 8:23 am

this sounds great. i made some tomato-basil jam recently and am loving it. but the idea of tomato+peach..well that makes me want to whip up a batch this afternoon!!!

Susan
    Posted On September 26, 2011 at 10:18 am

Sounds awesome! I haven’t used low sugar powdered pectin before, so now’s the time to try it! I love the labels too! I make my own labels and yours gave me some new ideas on design :-) I don’t use label paper, just plain and a glue stick, which I always have around the house.

Posted On September 26, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Was wondering what to do with the peaches in my fridge…can’t get them fast enough!

Posted On September 27, 2011 at 10:32 am

I’m the founder/moderator for Punk Domestics (www.punkdomestics.com), a community site for those of use obsessed with, er, interested in DIY food. It’s sort of like Tastespotting, but specific to the niche. I’d love for you to submit this to the site. Good stuff!

Posted On September 27, 2011 at 5:17 pm

I love this! So many uses – although I think my first would be with grilled cheese! The labels are adorable, too!
    Joanne

Posted On September 28, 2011 at 5:32 am

Yum! Thanks for the post!!

Posted On September 28, 2011 at 4:22 pm

That sounds fabulous!

Posted On September 29, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Getting ready to start canning in next few weeks, and always looking for new things to try! Thank you for sharing this! Looks wonderful!!

Posted On October 1, 2011 at 4:23 am

Would you lower the amount of sugar that you add if you can’t find low sugar pectin? I have regular pectin and can’t find low sugar.

• Posted On October 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

You’d actually need MORE sugar. Regular pectin is partially activated by sugar and needs a certain amount of it to work properly. Low sugar pectin is formulated to work with less amounts of sugar.

• Posted On October 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

For what it’s worth you could probably leave the pectin out completely, maybe just cook it longer? It’s definitely a soft set jam, not jelly-like at all.

Zandra Peterson
    Posted On October 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Just finished canning this!!! I tasted it and it is fantastic. Thank you for sharing this. Can’t wait to try it on toast. I just pinned it too. Everyone needs to try this.

Barbara Berendt
    Posted On October 8, 2013 at 12:10 am

I made this jam tonight, it is excellent. I added a little more heat bc I used chili peppers and they were not quite hot enough- I sprinkled in some cayenne pepper along with a little bit of crushed chili pepper flakes. Since I was using large grape tomatoes I did not peel them, but I did peel the peaches. The tomatoes with their peels gave me more than 4 cups so I added one peach and adjusted the rest of ingredients accordingly. I also boiled the tomatoes longer bc of the skins and added a bit of water to make sure there was 1/3 reduction, and added the peaches so they would have 30 minutes as instructed. This is a great recipe, thank you for sharing it! I really appreciated the detail of this recipe as well :-)