Basil Lemonade

Basil Lemonade

I hereby declare this week Basil Week. And when you see what I’ve got in store for the rest of the week you’ll see why. Granted, it was a completely unintentional coincidence. Maybe I was having a subconscious butter rebellion during my first weekend cooking for myself and not for an editor, but basil was the center of my attention. No less than four of my culinary projects involved the bright summer herb.

And I’m totally ok with that.

So let’s kick off this celebration of ocimum basilicum with a refreshing beverage. A muddled twist on a classic summer refreshment. It’s sweet and sassy and bright and you’ll want to drink an entire gallon of it. It’d be great with a splash of liquor in it, too. Heck, maybe it’s time to set up a grown-up lemonade stand.

Take this opportunity to share YOUR favorite basil recipe! What do you do when that plant outside is growing out of control? What unique flavor combinations have you discovered for this humble herb? Do tell!

Basil Lemonade

Yield: 2 servings

Total Time: 10 minutes

1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 2 large lemons)
1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
water
ice

Combine sugar and 1/4 cup water in a microwave safe bowl or glass measuring cup. Microwave on high for 45 seconds and stir until sugar is dissolved and liquid is clear. Set aside to cool.

Muddle together lemon juice and basil leaves, using a muddler or the base of a wooden spoon to crush the leaves and infuse the juice with basil flavor. Add 2/3 cup of cold water and sugar syrup, to taste. Pour over ice and enjoy.

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:15 pm

I already love basil week!

Tracy
    Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I’m with Samantha, already loving basil week! I can’t wait to see what other basil goodness you have to share.

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Indeed, the perfect accompaniment to my Tomato Week [http://lesleyeats.com/2011/08/07/tomato-week/]!

I love basil, but I’ve been waiting for my lavender to bloom to make lavender lemonade. Shouldn’t be too much longer. Yay!

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:31 pm

This looks so refreshing! I can’t wait to see what you have up your sleeve for basil week – I need some creative ways to use it ALL!

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:36 pm

How gorgeous is this?? I have a similar recipe on my blog, back when my photos were rather embarrassing. I love this lemonade and love how long the basil syrup lasts in the fridge. I kept a big jar in there a few summers ago and had it (and a Costco-sized bag of lemons) ready whenever I wanted a glass.

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:37 pm

The fact that you are having basil week just made me put on my giddy pants.

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:53 pm

I was thinking only an hour ago about making basil lemonade after my success with lavender lemonade recently and now I have no excuse not to make it! Can’t wait to see what you have in store for us for the rest of basil week :)

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Ha! I’ve been having a basil week here too…just made vinaigrette! http://modfrugal.com/2011/08/basil-balsamic-vinaigrette/
    And a green curry paste, and basil butter…but not lemonade…I will rectify that pronto.

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 2:04 pm

Hummmm? Basil lemonade? I’m officially intrigued!

I love basil. I love it’s smell. I love it in pesto. I love it in Caprese salads, and on Caprese sandwiches. I just LOVE it.

I can’t wait to try out some basil recipes this weekend!

Allison
    Posted On August 10, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I have basil coming out of my ears! Looking forward to basil week.

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 5:47 pm

This may seem like a random question… because it is. Where did you get those fun straws?!

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Yay! Basil week couldn’t have happened at a better time since I have basil up the whooza! Keep em coming!

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

This looks amazing!

Posted On August 10, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Funny :in regard to it being basil week. That’s what I was thinking, too. I was thinking about a foccacia with some pesto, some caramelized red onion and maybe some kalamata olives. That’s what I was thinking.

Chris Neel
    Posted On August 11, 2011 at 12:29 am

I make something very similar to this, but I add strawberries to make it strawberry lemonade….add a little gin and you have the perfect summer cocktail!

Posted On August 11, 2011 at 8:13 am

Basil lemonade sounds interesting. I’ve always heard to basil going well in drinks, but never really thought of trying it myself. This looks gorgeous – I think try it out!

Posted On August 11, 2011 at 11:59 am

HAHA – where I live, a grown up lemonade stand will get you thrown in the clink!

Posted On August 11, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Looks so refreshing! I love basil with everything but am wanting to making a basil and olive oil ice cream altely!

Posted On August 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

This looks incredible. I recently had a basil mojito, and it was incredible–so refreshing and herbaceous all at the same time.
    I love basil and will sometimes eat is plain by itself! There’s really not too much better than the classic summertime combo of basil, tomato, mozarella and fruity olive oil. Yum! On a random note: in India, my aunt uses holy basil in her daily prayers and blesses some food along with it. For some reason, the combo of holy basil and sliced bananas has always been one of my favorite religious foods!

Posted On August 13, 2011 at 11:08 am

This sounds so refreshing and delicious! We grow lots of basil and I am always looking for new ways to use it and this sounds great!

anne t newton
    Posted On August 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

i made this basil lemonade late sunday afternoon and added a bit on bombay sapphire .. it was absolutely heavenly… i would highly recommend trying this drink……

Posted On August 16, 2011 at 3:58 pm

I am always looking for new ways to use up my basil and LOVED this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Posted On September 2, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Oh! It’s like having the summer in your glass. It’s my first visit to your kitchen and I guess it won’t be the last.

Posted On March 16, 2012 at 11:25 am

this wood be perfect for St Paddy’s day – in fact they look so good, I shall. Will now serve up along side the Irish Milkshake. Thanks for the recipe!

x