Pork Chops with Savory Blueberry Sauce

Yes, I did just put pork and blueberry in the same sentence. The same recipe in fact. And you know what? It was quite tasty! As someone who didn’t grow up eating the other white meat, I have to say I’ve never been a big fan of pork. Growing up, it’s just not something my family ever ate. Maybe it’s the fact that my mother is Jewish, so obviously she wasn’t raised on a regular diet of pork products (and it’s not like pork was important enough for my dad to actually get up and cook it). Because of that, pork has always tasted “funny” to me. Bacon? Yes please. Pork tenderloin? I’ll eat it, but I won’t love it. Ham? I’ll take turkey. Taylor, on the other hand, could eat (and has eaten) sandwiches piled high with 3-4 different kinds of pork with gusto… on a daily basis… and be perfectly content (and might I say, in heaven).

I typically find pork chops to be the only cut of pork that I actually enjoy, especially if it’s smothered in sweet and tangy blueberry sauce. Maybe that’s because the blueberry sauce is strong enough to put a damper on the porkiness of the pork… but I have to say we’ll definitely be making this one again.

And don’t forget! Tomorrow is the last day to enter to win the Bake it Pretty Cupcake Frosting Kit! I’ll be closing entries at midnight tomorrow, so be sure to get your entry (and bonus entry!) in before then.

Pork Chops with Savory Blueberry Sauce

Makes 2 servings. Recipe from the Kitchn.

4 boneless pork chops
1 shallot, finely diced
1/2 cup red wine
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup blueberries
1/2 lemon (zest and juice)
2 tablespoons butter
Fresh parsley, roughly chopped

Preheat the oven to 425°F.

Salt and pepper both sides of each pork chop. Heat a tablespoon of oil over medium-high heat in an oven-proof skillet big enough to hold all four pork chops. Brown the pork chops, about 1-2 minutes on each side. Remove the pan from heat and pop it into the oven. Remove when the pork is just cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.

While the pork chops are in the oven, prepare the sauce. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a small saucepan over medium high heat. Sauté the shallots until soft and golden. Add the wine and water and let boil down for 1-2 minutes. Add the blueberries. When the skins begin to burst, add the lemon zest and juice. Let the sauce continue to boil and thicken until the pork chops are ready.

Once the pork chops are ready, remove the pan from the oven and place the pork chops on a cutting board and let them rest while finishing the sauce.

Turn the heat off under the saucepan and stir in the butter until it is completely melted. If using unsalted butter, add a pinch of salt. Serve the pork chops either whole or sliced, topped with the blueberry sauce and fresh parsley. Since the pork chops were finished in the oven, they should still be nice and juicy.

margie/mom
    Posted On January 28, 2010 at 10:43 pm

Guess who loves pork now, your raised in a non pork eating household mom.
    Pulled pork, barbeque pork, Mu Shu Pork, bacon etc. etc. etc.
    This recipe looks very tempting!

Posted On January 29, 2010 at 10:23 am

We’re with you on this Lindsay and Taylor. Not being carnivores nor vegetarians, the sauce really makes this recipe for pork chops stand out. Even the kids were ready to sit down and eat this meal. Add a loaf of Italian bread and accept our compliments.
    [great photos]

Posted On January 30, 2010 at 12:24 am

Funny that you blog about not eating pork and I blog about eating lots of pork growing up! This looks tasty- will be adding to my short list of recipes to try!

Posted On January 30, 2010 at 12:42 am

I’ve never tried blueberry sauce with pork. It sounds divine!

Posted On January 30, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Looks good going to try it

Posted On February 2, 2010 at 11:09 pm

Yumm pork chops with blueberry sound amazing. I’ve made pork chops with a cranberry glaze but this is a must try!

Posted On February 7, 2010 at 4:32 pm

I’ve never thought of combining these two flavours before (pork and blueberries) but I think it would really work. I’ve been really enjoying good Niman Ranch pork recently.

Posted On February 9, 2010 at 3:56 pm

Never would have thought to put pork chops and blueberries together, but I like both so why not? I’ll have to give this a try.

Posted On February 10, 2010 at 9:49 pm

Tried this tonight (the first recipe from this blog I’ve tried) and it was yummy and really easy! Thanks!

Posted On February 16, 2010 at 11:53 am

This looks tasty. We love steak with blueberry sauce – you should definitely try it:

Also – I looked through the pictures of your loft on flickr and you have amazing taste and an incredible way of making small spaces seem big and beautiful! So jealous..

Posted On May 15, 2012 at 4:21 pm

We had fun this weekend picking blueberries with our families and were looking for recipes. Thanks for sharing, I can’t wait to try this with my daughter. I’ve shared your link on our site with Little Hands that Cook with Books and Blueberries. http://theeducatorsspinonit.blogspot.com/2012/05/30-ways-to-eat-blueberries.html

jack
    Posted On January 28, 2013 at 11:01 am

I was looking for a restaurant/motel in Lake Wales Florida where years ago I attended a conference. On the menu was blueberry Pork Chops. The Motel was retro from the late 40s -50s and had been refurbished and it was ok but quickly forgotten. NOT THOSE PORK CHOPS. They were wonderful.
    I was looking for the placeon-linee today and found your site.
    So I will try this tonight.. and will comment further after.

Thanks

jack in Florida

Sarah Sealock
    Posted On July 12, 2014 at 11:18 pm

Great!  I tried a slightly lighter version with only 1 tablespoon of clarified butter and that worked out well and tasted a bit less creamy for those who have a more Mediterranean palate.