The perfect ice cream sandwich is:
Soft. Hard crunchy cookies need not apply.
Sweet and salty. Keyword: and. Not or. Like the yin and yang of ice cream sandwiches, one balances out the other.
Streamlined. Meaning, you shouldn’t have to have a mouth the size of Steven Tyler’s to eat it.
Sprinkled. Because everything is better with sprinkles.
I’ll tell you, folks, this sandwich has it all. Tessa Arias, author of Cookies & Cream: Hundreds of Ways to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwich, did not make it easy on me. I spent weeks endlessly flipping through the book. Not for a lack of recipes but for sheer indecision on just which recipe (or mix and match combination) I was going to make. The entire book is filled with perfect ice cream sandwich after perfect ice cream sandwich, and this malted chocolate beauty is no different.
The cookies are soft and salty. The ice cream creamy and sweet.
She rolls hers in whoppers, but in conjunction with the last of my criterion for sandwich-ability above, sprinkles were definitely in order.
Granted, I probably made them a wee bit too big (think the diameter of a halved grapefruit). I say that like it’s a bad thing. It’s totally not.
I used the technique outlined here to make my sandwiches, the result being more uniform ice cream rounds than simply scooping and smushing. But you can certainly do that too.
Be sure to click through for the recipe and a chance to win a copy of this mouth-watering book!
Chocolate Malt Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plain malted milk powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dark or Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup plain malted milk powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons sour cream or plain yogurt
- Prepare an ice bath by setting a medium heatproof bowl inside a larger bowl of ice water. Place a fine mesh sieve on top and set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine the milk, cream, 1/2 cup sugar, malted milk powder, salt, and vanilla. Cook gently over medium heat, stirring frequently, until sugar has dissolved and mixture starts to steam. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks with remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Slowly whisk in some of the warm cream mixture, 1/3 cup at a time, until about half of the cream mixture has been incorporated and egg mixture is warm to the touch. (Be sure to gradually whisk in the warm cream; you want to temper the eggs, not cook them.) Pour egg mixture back into saucepan and return to medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens slightly and coats the back of a spatula, about 5 to 7 minutes, or until it reaches approximately 175ºF. Do not let it boil.
- Pour mixture through a fine-mesh sieve into the ice bath. Stir until mixture is cool. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, carefully pressing it onto the surface of the cream mixture to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until completely chilled, at least 3 hours or preferably overnight.
Line a quarter sheet pan or 9×9-inch baking pan with foil or parchment paper. Churn ice cream according to manufacturer’s instructions. Spread ice cream into the prepared pan to desired thickness Cover with plastic wrap and freeze for at least 2-3 hours or until firm.
- For cookies, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, malted milk powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter, sugar, and brown sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 1 to 2 minutes. Mix in egg, followed by vanilla and sour cream. Add flour mixture and beat on low speed until incorporated.
- Using a medium or large cookie scoop, drop dough by the heaping tablespoonful onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten to 1-inch thick disks with the palm of your hand. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cookies are set. Let cool on baking sheet for minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Freeze cookies for at least 1 hour before forming your sandwiches.
- To assemble, remove block of ice cream from sheet pan using the parchment or foil to lift it out of the pan. Choose a cookie cutter approximately the same size as your cookies to cut out rounds of ice cream. Place one round on a cookie, then top with a second cookie, pressing to adhere. Roll edges in sprinkles or crushed malted milk ball candies, if desired. Freeze for at least 1 hour before serving.
Recipe from Cookies & Cream: Hundreds of Ways to Make the Perfect Ice Cream Sandwich.All images and text © Lindsay Landis / Love & Olive Oil
Did you make this recipe?
Let us know what you think!
Leave a Comment below or share a photo and tag me on Instagram with the hashtag #loveandoliveoil.
What better accompaniment to the perfect ice cream sandwich than a giveaway? Author Tessa Arias has so kindly offered up a copy of her book to one lucky L&OO reader! Cooling temperatures be darned, with this book in hand you’re going to want to eat ice cream sandwiches all winter long.
Giveaway is now closed. Thanks for entering!
Congrats to Bianca, comment #204, who was selected as the winner of this fabulous book!
The fine print: No purchase necessary. Giveaway open to US residents only. Void where prohibited. Winner will have 48 hours to respond otherwise an alternate winner will be chosen. Bonus entry requirements will be verified if selected as the winner, otherwise an alternate winner will be chosen. All opinions written are purely my own.
I already am an email subscriber!! Love it!!!
I have followed both of the twitter pages and tweeted about the contest.
I have liked both FB pages
I’m a traditionalist… I make a kitchen sink cookie that I’m going to try with a light chocolate ice cream then dip half in melted chocolate and cover that with chopped pecans….
I have subscribed using firstname.lastname@example.org
I would like to try a white chocolate chip cookie sandwich with a mango ice cream filling
Cinnamon ice cream with snickerdoodle cookies – sounds yummy!
I already subscribe to your newsletter!
There used to be a bakery down the street from me in Brooklyn called Little Buddy that made the best ice cream sandwiches. They sadly went out of business but I would love to have one of their ginger molasses cookie/vanilla ice cream sandwiches again.
These look incredible and beautiful and oh so tasty! My ice cream sandwiches always come out sooo messy…
Lemon/ ginger snap cookie with a crushed ginger ice cream. I’m addicted to lemon and ginger
I would love to try a candy cane studded ice cream sandwich with gingerbread cookies! It would be the ultimate Christmas morning breakfast! …yes, I do eat sweets on Christmas morning…
I’d very much like to take an almond cloud cookie and combine it with a raspberry vanilla ice cream.
I make a mexican chocolate and toasted coconut cookie and I’d love to try it with a cinnamon ice cream or maybe cajeta/dulce de leche ice cream!
Graham cracker cookie with key lime pie ice cream.
I like you both on Facebook
I tweeted! https://twitter.com/keshakeke/status/378466851811913728
I would like to try Oreo cookies with moose tracks ice cream
I get email updates
I like u both on FB
A butterfinger ice cream sandwiched in between oatmeal cookies (no raisins)
Salted caramel ice cream with white chocolate chip cookies and then rolled in crushed toffee popcorn! mmm salivating just thinking about what it could taste like!
I already Like Handle the Heat on Facebook (and tried the rosemary buns, they are delicious and all my friends love them!), now I also Like Love and Olive Oil
Sour cherry ice cream with cinnamon biscuits. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
I’d love some sugar cookies with pecan praline ice cream! :)
I’m following you on Twitter!
I’m an email subscriber!
Subscribed to Love & Olive Oil!
I would love to try a pistachio ice cream, cherry cookie combo!
I like you and Handle the Heat on Facebook
Chocolate chip cookies with browned butter ice cream!
A cannoli-type ice cream/cookie combo! I fell in love with Ben and Jerry’s limited run and have been craving something similar ever since.
I’m already subscribed…as of a couple weeks ago!
How about chocolate and raspberry? Maybe chocolate cookies with raspberry ice cream. Coated in toasted almonds.
I like Love & Olive Oil and Handle the Heat on Facebook!
Carrot cake cookies, cheesecake ice cream, rolled in nuts. Or an ice cream s’more.
Liked both on Facebook and following on twitter!
Maple bacon ice cream with a bourbon sugar cookie…all of my favorites in one! Subscribed to your blog!
I follow @loveandoliveoil and @HandleHeat on twitter and tweetedthe following: I just entered to win a copy of ‘Cookies & Cream’ by @HandleHeat from @loveandoliveoil: http://bit.ly/15Z5LNQ
I like both Love & Olive Oil and Handle the Heat on Facebook.
I subscribe thru email: email@example.com
Oreo and Triple Chocolate
Subscribe to love and olive oil
Pistachio ice cream with snickerdoodle cookies
I would love to try an Earl Grey tea ice cream and and butter cookie combo! It might be tasty!
Nutella & Coffee!
I would like a richly flavored vanilla ice cream with thick roasted pear swirls, sandwiched between crisp browned butter cookies with a just a hint of cardamon in the cookie.
Double chocolate chip cookies with strawberry ice cream… kind of like a chocolate covered strawberry!
I follow Love & Olive Oil & Handle The Heat on facebook.
I shared via Pinterest this give-away. Barbara Bradford
I followed both and tweeted about the give-away @barbarabradford
I’ve liked both on Facebook.
I am following you both and have tweeted about the contest.
I want to try a Christmasy combination. Maybe vanilla cookies and cinnamon ice cream.
I subscribe via email
I would love some chocolate with orange ice cream
Real chocolate with orange zest would work
A smores ice cream sandwich! Graham cookie with a smear of chocolate ganache, and a toasted marshmallow ice cream!!
Red velvet cookies with cream cheese ice cream!
Butter pecan ice cream with a snicker doodle cookie.
peanutbutter and banana flavored ice cream!!!
When I saw the picture I was like, “how is the ice cream so perfectly disk-like?” Then I read the rest of the post and it’s genius! Using a cookie cutter to cut out rounds of ice cream is great for these adorable (and delicious sounding) ice cream sandwiches!
Key Lime Ice Cream with Graham Cracker Cookie
Coffee Ice Cream with Coffee Cake Cookie
pecan sandie with chocolate almond ice cream
I would love to try a red velvet cookie with vanilla ice cream…mmmm
How about a Fudge Brownie Cookie with Baked Apple Ice Cream!
I’m subscribed to your email updates!
I tweeted this.
Oatmeal cookie with caramel ice cream sprinkled with pretzels
Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies with Maple Walnut Ice Cream
OMG…as much as I like to cook (and eat) I would love this giveaway…thank you for the opportunity.
I’m thinking a chocolate cookie/pumpkin ice cream combo… maybe with some salted caramel.
I have to agree: everything is definitely better with sprinkles! :)
I like both Love & Olive Oil and Handle the Heat on Facebook.
I subscribe to L&OO via email.
I’d love to try a sandwich made with chocolate chip cookies, sweet pecan ice cream, and rolled in chewy chunks of fresh cooked (but cooled, of course!) bacon… OR a cheesecake type sugar cookie with a simple strawberry sorbet/ice cream, possibly rolled in crushed pistachios or mini chocolate chips…
I liked both Love & Olive Oil and Handle the Heat
I tweeted about the giveaway
I subscribe already!
I’d like to try a chocolate chip cookie with cookie dough ice cream!
I Subscribe to Love & Olive Oil!
I would love to try the chocolate cookie with caramel ice cream!
I’ve kinda been dying to try a snickerdoodle cookie with horchata ice cream (now that I have a recipe for it). Perhaps that will be my next project!
These look divine, btw!
I would like to try pumpkin ice cream with snicker doodle cookie
I would like a dark chocolate pisacio ice cream sandwich.
I followed @HandleHeat
I already follow L&OO!
My ice cream sandwich combo is a toss up between mocha white choc ice cream with almond cookie or pistachio ice cream with coconut cookie.
I like both on facebook
I subscribe email
I am a fan! Both of this blog and ice cream sandwiches. I would love a salted caramel praline ice cream on shortbread cookie. Just sayin’.
I’d love to try the Boston Cream Pie ones listed in the Amazon description!
Butter Pecan and coconut are my favorites. So, butter pecan with toasted coconut would be fantastic! Thanks for the giveaway.
These look absolutely delicious! I want to bite my computer screen!
Interesting combo: red velvet cake cookies with dark (extra dark!) chcolate ice cream with crushed pretzels on the outside…
I am all ready subscribed by email,
The choices are endless! To start I think a Oreo cookie with strawberry ice cream. Two of my favorite foods.
Dark chocolate brownies with chocolate chip ice cream.
Graham crackers with homemade bittersweet chocolate ice cream.
Something with pretzels, caramel and chocolate!