Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Glaze

Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Glaze

I don’t think I’m the only one that went a little crazy with the canned pumpkin this year. All this talk about the great pumpkin shortage was something I didn’t take lightly. I picked up a can or two (or three, if Taylor was with me) every time we spotted it in the store, and as a result we’ve got a cabinet full of canned pumpkin.

Not that having too much canned pumpkin is a bad thing.

Especially when you have delicious recipes like this one just waiting to be enjoyed.

I’ve never been much of a scone person. Doughnuts, yes. Scones, no. Not even worth the effort to eat, let alone make. But these scones were nothing like the dry, drab concoctions I had always associated with scone-ness. They are packed with pumpkin goodness, in a soft flaky package that is more like a firm buttermilk biscuit than a rock hard scone. The cinnamon sugar glaze doesn’t hurt, either.

So what if it’s January. Pumpkin is quickly becoming a year-round flavor.

Pumpkin Scones with Cinnamon Sugar Glaze

Makes 8 scones. Recipe from Pinch my Salt via Erin's Food Files.

1 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup heavy cream
6 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (or to taste)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.

Cut the butter into small pieces, put it in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to use. In a medium bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, salt, and all spices. Place bowl in freezer.

In a separate bowl, combine pumpkin, heavy cream, brown sugar, and vanilla and mix well to combine. Freeze or refrigerate.

Combine butter pieces with flour mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cold pumpkin mixture and stir until dough is just moistened. The dough will be very crumbly, this is the way it should be. Turn the mixture out onto the counter and push the pile together with your hands. It should stick together fairly well. Knead it just a couple of times until it starts to come together. Don’t knead it too much or the dough will get too sticky.

Shape the dough into a circle 3/4 to 1 inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Arrange on baking sheet. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until barely light brown on the bottom. The tops will darken as they cool.

For glaze, mix together powdered sugar, milk, and cinnamon. Add additional sugar or milk as needed to achieve the desired consistency. Brush or drizzle onto warm scones.

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Yum!!! this looks delicious. I still have a few cans of pumpkin too! I was making oatmeal pumpkin shakes with them, but it only uses a little bit of pumpkin so i have a *ton* left

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 8:34 pm

Oh my gosh, we are so on the same page with scones! I used to think they were so dry and gross. I too stocked up on canned pumpkin and have a pumpkin scone recipe coming up soon on my blog. Great minds cook alike!

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 8:37 pm

These look and sound wonderful!

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Um- Holy crap! Those look so delish! I’ve got a can of pumpkin sitting in my pantry just begging to be turned into a batch of those lovelies!

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 8:46 pm

These scones look fantastic – they’d be great with a cup of tea. I like to add cinnamon chips to mine.

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 9:01 pm

Absolutely nothing wrong with Pumpkin in January! It’s yummy and good for you. I can’t wait to try these scones.

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Pumpkin scones are the best! And these look scrumptious! I love the glaze

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Wow these look and sound dreamy. I love, love, love all things pumpkin and like to use canned pumpkin all year around. I hated the shortage too…

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m a firm believer that pumpkin work at least until March. Love it!

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 10:13 pm

i found canned pumpkin on clearance at the smyrna walgreens for 44¢ – needless to say, i cleaned them out (and then made these guys: http://pandaparables.blogspot.com/2011/01/pumpkin-scones-vegan.html)

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 10:38 pm

I have never been a scone person either but yours look wonderful! Love the glaze. Funny, I still have canned pumpkin after hoarding everything during the shortage we had in NYC a few yrs back!

Posted On January 24, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Just having a quick look at the new posts and yours caught my eye as it reminded me of the one I put up a couple of days ago

I love this pumpkin but here we have to deal with it fresh… none of these cans that you guys have!!

thanks for the recipe.

Claudia from Istanbul

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 2:11 am

YUM!!! such a good thing to do with leftover pumpkin! thanks!

xx

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 3:01 am

Hey! I tried to bake pumpkin salty snacks yesterday..they turned out disgusting and they are still on my table..in the baking pan :( But this… I might work on finding light alternative to this recipe!!!

benny from http://www.beinitaly.blogspot.com

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 7:07 am

I wasn’t smart enough to stock up on pumpkin, now I’m sad. I’ll have to bookmark these delicious scones until I can hunt down a can!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 7:22 am
    Posted On January 25, 2011 at 8:02 am

I went a tad crazy with my cans as well but that’s okay – in case of a shortage later this year we’re set! Definitely bookmarking this to try sometime :)

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 10:50 am

I did the same thing and now I have a stack of canned organic pumpkin in my pantry. I love scones, so this recipe comes very handy. Thanks so much. Kirsten

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 12:35 pm

Seems like you and I got bit by the same pumpkin bug because that is exactly what is going on in my kitchen at the moment. I have approximately 15 cans of pumpkin left over from the holidays. Well, at least now I’ve got some delicious scones to infuse some of it into!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Beautiful photo! I will have to give these a try with some leftover pumpkin I have stored in the freezer. Too bad real pumpkin does’t impart as much flavor as canned – maybe I’ll do a taste test:)

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 4:25 pm

how i love thee pumpkin scone. i could eat these all year long. something about that flavor. these came out perfect!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I agree with you, pumpkin should be celebrated year-round! These look delicious!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 5:09 pm

Homemade scones are great. Nothing like those nasty dry things the coffee shops try to pass off as scones. Day old nasty dried up things that are over cooked to make matters worse. Good for you for finding scones a special place in your belly!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 7:27 pm

oh, yes…pumpkin = love. I don’t buy canned food unless I’m in a pinch, but I made the exception about 100 times so far this autumn a nd winter for pumpkin. This recipe looks yummy — and looks easily modifiable (is that even a word?) to be gluten free!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 8:47 pm

You are certainly not alone. We still have stacks of canned pumpkin in our pantry. So far that has resulted in pumpkin macaroni and cheese and three loaves of pumpkin chocolate chip bread. I may have to put this scone recipe to good use, too!

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Pumpkin is too good not to eat year round! Those scones would be a perfect breakfast any time. :)

Posted On January 25, 2011 at 11:03 pm

Would you believe that just today as my husband was putting away canned goods he said: “wow, no shortage of canned pumpkin around here!” LOL

I, too, was afraid they would run out of pumpkin and picked up a bunch of cans. I’ll have to try these yummy scones recipe!

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 12:12 am

yummmm! looks so good!
    my mother would absolutely love these
    maybe for her birthday?

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 9:00 am

Thank you for the recipe. I’ll definitely make these scones for my mom since she likes pumpkin so much. I’m not really a pumpkin fan, but I’ll give these a try, cause they look great.

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 3:47 pm

your scones look amazing:) thank such stunning photos..thanks for sharing this post.

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 4:56 pm

I did the same thing–stockpiled so much pumpkin that my husband actually asked me this morning, “Where did all the pumpkin in the pantry come from?”

Guilty.

I’ll join you in making pumpkin a year-round flavor!

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Talk about the perfect scone… These look out of this world! With a nice cup of tea, of course :)

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 6:44 pm

I just made these. Sooooo good!

Posted On January 26, 2011 at 7:36 pm

Love these and your site! Beth and I were talking about you this weekend at Food Blog South. Her site looks fabulous too! Hope to see you soon!

Posted On January 27, 2011 at 3:26 pm

I’m totally with you on the cabinet full of pumpkin thing! I’ve been wanting to use it for something, but just can’t bring myself to use it in January. Thanks for the inspiration.

Posted On February 7, 2011 at 1:41 pm

I had to respond because I made the exact same comment on a recent blog post of mine! I picked up way too many cans of pumpkin this Fall because it was impossible to find canned pumpkin the previous Fall! Now I’m ‘stuck’ (not a bad thing, of course!) with extra cans. I’m slowly whittling down my supply, but have enough left to bake these scones in the near future!

Posted On September 20, 2011 at 4:20 pm

I felt the same way about scones until I found ones that changed my mind too! I realized scones don’t have to be dry as they usually are in “unnamed coffee shops” (cough cough) These look absolutely delicious!

Posted On March 19, 2013 at 7:28 am

Absolutely delicious and divine, these scones!
    Cheers,