Tortellini with Balsamic Brown Butter

Ravioli with Balsamic Brown Butter

It’s not often you find a recipe that is so incredibly simple you almost overlook it, thinking, nah, nothing that easy is ever very good. But in this situation, I was lured in by the title alone. Balsamic? Yes please. Brown butter? Oh hell yes. Simple. Inexpensive. And oh so delicious.

Especially when it is made with fresh, locally made tortellini.

We’re a couple of lucky suckers, as a mere two blocks from our home sits Lazzaroli Pasta. Two blocks. Ok, maybe two and a half. But still. The fact that we’ve lived here over a year and a half and had not been inside, well, for that I am truly sorry. This place is truly awesome. Like pasta heaven. Owner Tom Lazzaro even has “Ravioli” on his license plate, for gosh sakes! That alone should tell you something. We tried out the goat cheese and pear ravioli a few weeks back (I mean, goat cheese and pear? I think they’ve been reading my mind… or just this blog. Seriously delicious). This week decided to try out the homemade cheese tortellini. Simple, but it puts any store bought stuff to shame. And when it’s drenched in brown butter, balsamic vinegar, shredded Parmesan, and toasted walnuts? Do I even need to tell you? Bliss.

But, you know, even if you HAD to use the store bought stuff, I’m sure this dish would still be plenty delicious. :)

Tortellini with Balsamic Brown Butter

Makes 4 servings.
Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis via Gimme Some Oven.

18 to 20 ounces fresh ravioli or tortellini
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/3 cup toasted, chopped walnuts
1/4 cup grated Parmesan

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the ravioli and cook 4 to 5 minutes, until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally. Drain ravioli onto a large serving platter.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan cook the butter over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the foam subsides, and the butter begins to turn a golden brown, about 3 minutes, turn off the heat. Let cool for about 1 minute. Stir in the balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper.

Transfer the ravioli to the pan saucepan with the balsamic brown butter. Sprinkle walnuts and Parmesan over the top. Serve immediately.

Posted On December 9, 2009 at 11:35 pm

This looks delicious!!!

Posted On December 10, 2009 at 9:18 am

I wish this had been posted a day earlier! Last night we made tortellini with regular butter and sliced orange pepper. It was ok, but a little bland, but this sounds like the kick we were looking for!

Lisa
    Posted On December 10, 2009 at 9:43 am

Whenever I try a brown butter and balsamic sauce, it always stay separated in the pan, so I get all butter on the first half and all balsamic on the end half of the pasta. Any tips?

Posted On December 10, 2009 at 9:44 am

I love brown butter – so simple, yet so delicious and satisfying. My favorite version is to add a little bit of pumpkin butter…it’s decadent!

Posted On December 10, 2009 at 10:58 am

Lisa – ours separated too (don’t think there’s anyway to avoid that). But we just whisked it quickly before added the tortellini, and after stirring them in they had a fairly even coating of both butter and balsamic.

Posted On December 10, 2009 at 5:54 pm

Fresh tortellini? Swoon. This dish is simple but I bet it’s divine!

Posted On December 10, 2009 at 7:53 pm

I haven’t been there yet and I don’t know why! I love good pasta and I don’t have much energy to make my own.

This sounds delicious. I love brown butter, but the husband’s cholesterol issues prevent me from having it too often. Boo.

Rachel L
    Posted On December 11, 2009 at 11:50 am

Made this last night after staring at it all day on Wednesday. So delicious! Thank-you!

Posted On December 11, 2009 at 12:50 pm

If you put flour in there with the butter, perhaps the balsamic wouldn’t separate because then it would be more of a cream sauce? Just a thought … I have no idea whether it would work or not.

I can try though, this sounds heavenly!

Posted On December 12, 2009 at 9:52 pm

It does sound simple and delicious. I’ve yet to try Lazzaroli’s myself, but all I’ve heard has been rave reviews.

Posted On December 14, 2009 at 1:06 pm

sometimes the simplest of recipes are the one’s with the most complicated flavor profile. this one sounds amazing!

Posted On December 28, 2009 at 5:38 am

this sauce sounds wonderful – i’ve got some roasted pumpkin which needs turning into tortellini and think this might be the perfect accompaniment. thanks for the idea.

Posted On April 2, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I made it! My advice–wait 2 minutes before putting the vinegar into the hot butter–I thought my whole kitchen was going to blow up! But it was VERY good! Enough for 4 or 5 people. Easy peasy, indeed! omnomnomnom.

Lia
    Posted On May 20, 2012 at 12:49 am

Would this go well with meat ravioli? I’ve been trying to figure out a new sauce to make for them and this sounds delicious, though I can’t imagine exactly what this sauce would taste like.