Breakfast Tacos

Austin-Inspired Breakfast Tacos

After a mere 3-days in Austin for BlogHerFood, I returned home with a severe case of taco-withdrawal. Indeed, I had tacos on the brain. Despite the fact that I didn’t feel nearly cool enough for the vibrant city, its all-encompassing taco-culture was something I could certainly get behind.

The breakfast tacos, especially. For obvious reasons.

While the variety of breakfast tacos available in Austin was about as diverse as the people there, this recipe was inspired by a taco from a food trailer (yes, Austin’s food trucks are refreshingly stationery), consumed shortly before indulging in what was perhaps the most epic doughnut of all time.

And yet, here I am, talking about the taco.

Austin-Inspired Breakfast Tacos

I totally tried to find a taco quote here but alas, the internet seems surprisingly devoid of inspirational taco quotes. Go figure.

Maybe if the quote-sayers had this taco, with savory layers of breakfast and mexican flavors in a warm corn tortilla, and topped with creamy avocado and crumbly cotija cheese, maybe they’d have something to say then.

Breakfast Tacos

Yield: 4 servings

Total Time: 35 minutes

• 4 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
  • 8 ounces small red potatoes, diced (about 1 1/2 cups diced)
  • vegetable oil
  • 8 corn tortillas
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 large avocado, pitted and sliced
  • 2 ounces cotija or feta cheese, crumbled

1. Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until crispy. Transfer with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
    2. If your bacon was extra fatty you may want to remove some of the excess fat; you want about 1 to 2 tablespoons left in the skillet. Return to medium-high heat until fat is very hot. Add diced potatoes, spreading into a single layer in the pan. Cook, stirring/overturning the potatoes every 2 to 3 minutes, until potatoes are tender and golden brown, about 10 minutes total depending on the size of your dice. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
    3. Return skillet to medium-high heat with a splash of vegetable oil. When oil is hot and shimmery, add tortillas, one or two at a time depending on the size of your skillet, until they are hot and barely crispy around the edges but still pliable. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining tortillas.

Meanwhile, melt butter in a second non-stick skillet over medium heat. Whisk eggs until uniform in color. Add to skillet and cook, stirring and scraping, until eggs are firm and just cooked through.To assemble, divide tortillas among serving plates. Place a spoonful of egg down the center of each one. Sprinkle with crispy bacon and potatoes. Top with two slices of avocado and cotija cheese.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:15 am

Mmmmm! I could go for a few of these!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:16 am

YUM! these sound incredible! I love tacos at anytime if the day!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:22 am

Yay tacos for breakfast! And I love that quote. So true.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:40 am

Lindsay, you are such a tease! First, with your tasty-as-ever looking breakfast taco which I must make ASAP. Then, I clicked to see your epic Austin doughnut! :) Beautiful styling and photography here, girl. Thanks so much for sharing! xo

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:48 am

I have been making tacos since I returned from Blogher as well! It’s not a bad thing and these sound amazing with that avocado on top. Yummmm.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:54 am

As a born and raised Texan, there is no better breakfast to me than good breakfast tacos! Yours look delicious!!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:55 am

You totally had me at taco, then bacon, then avocado. All for breakfast, yes!

• Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:00 am

Or lunch. Or dinner. :)

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 8:58 am

After living in Dallas for the past 3 years, breakfast tacos is a new morning favorite. Back in Michigan (where Im from), these are unheard of!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:01 am

Breakfast tacos make me silly happy. I used to eat many a taco from Izzoz while living in Austin, so I concur with your adoration of their eats. This recipe looks delish, and I think I know what I’m going to be nomming tomorrow morning…or later today, let’s be honest.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:04 am

This is just one of my favorite breakfast foods although I do not make them often. They are really healthy and fresh and oh so Southwest…what is not to love? Great recipe Lindsay.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

This looks fan-freaking-tastic! I’ve been craving a good breakfast burrito lately. I love that quote you put with it as well and I’m dying to know the font you used for that quote, because I wish my handwriting looked like that!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:11 am

These breakfast tacos sound amazing, Lindsay! All of my favorite ingredients (:

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

I am so into breakfast tacos and these look tasty!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:26 am

The avocados have me salivating.
    Beautiful tacos.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:29 am

these look fantastic. i’m a diehard taco girl – we have tacos so much in my house that it would be embarrassing if we were easily embarrassed about our food choices :) and clearly, the food writing world needs more passionate taco lovers – how can there be no good quotes on tacos? it’s the perfect food.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

Breakfast tacos and breakfast burritos are one of my favorite Sunday morning breakfast things. I said breakfast too many times there… Haha.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:52 am

Seriously?! I totally want this.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 10:12 am

I need these in my life right now. This morning. I’m a taco fanatic too- I blame Austin!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 10:27 am

Yes, yes, yes! These are so perfect for Sunday brunch. Pinned!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 10:30 am

I’m totally experiencing the Austin Taco effect now too. I cannot get enough and now you’ve gone and given me a reason to eat them for breakfast! Yahoo!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 10:32 am

Yay for Austin inspiration! So glad you came away from my city inspired. I would have loved to meet you, but I think we kept just missing each other at BlogHer Food. There’s always next year, but hopefully sooner! These tacos look terrific. Very Austin-licious.

• Posted On July 3, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I know, I can’t believe we didn’t meet! I do want to make it back to Austin sometime, maybe when it isn’t quite so hot. :)

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 12:16 pm

These look tantalizingly delicious and no need to run around the shops to find exotic ingredients, everything is readily available in the supermarkets, bonus!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Tacos are truly the greatest, and breakfast tacos may be the greatest of all. (Just don’t tell my beloved fish tacos I said that.) Egg, potato, and avocado are so perfect together!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Yum! I love how diverse tacos can be. Avocados in the morning also make me very happy.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 12:58 pm

I could honestly wake up to these breakfast tacos every single morning!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I would love waking up to these breakfast tacos!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 2:20 pm

These look sooo good! I think some breakfast for dinner may be on the menu soon!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I love the little chops of potato here. This looks like a very happy little breakfast!
    -Emily K.

lisa
    Posted On July 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm

your post was so timely… i have been loving variations of breakfast tacos for dinner all this week. i had leftover hard boiled eggs, bacon and fresh spinach all in a corn tortilla. YUM

Christiane - Taking On Magazines
    Posted On July 3, 2013 at 3:09 pm

Food trucks….I wish we had them and I definitely wish they served something like these tacos. They look delicious.

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I could eat these any time of day. I love every single thing in there. I need to do breakfast tacos very soon!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I was just trying to figure out what to have for dinner and now problem solved. This is perfect!

Posted On July 3, 2013 at 9:47 pm

I spent a month living out a hotel in Dallas – some of the best meals I had were the breakfast tacos from the dive of a taco bar we frequented. I never thought to recreate them at home though… I think I see these in my future.

Posted On July 4, 2013 at 5:09 am

i LOVE breakfast tacos! Cant wait to try these at home!

Posted On July 4, 2013 at 6:21 am

I made fish tacos recently!, I never thought of breakfast tacos!!! cool!

Natalie
    Posted On July 4, 2013 at 11:33 am

Inspirational quote about tacos? Don’t know one despite having grown up in the unofficial Mexican Food capital of the US, but here’s something my taco loving family always says: Estomago lleno, corazon contento. :)

Posted On July 4, 2013 at 11:56 am

Yum! What a great idea! Love tacos..have i thought of breakfast tacos?? Noo but thanks to you this probably will become a new favourite.
    Thanks for sharing :)

Nessa
    Posted On July 4, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Mmmmm…

Posted On July 4, 2013 at 4:17 pm

I need this for brunch. In fact, every brunch imaginable :)

Allison
    Posted On July 8, 2013 at 9:58 am

My husband and I make tacos all the time but our corn tortillas ALWAYS crack and are brittle. How do you keep this from happening? We’ve both lived in Texas our whole lives and have asked several friends for tips but nothing has worked for us so far

• Posted On July 8, 2013 at 10:59 am

Don’t fry them until they’re crispy, just fry them long enough to be warm and flexible. No more than 30 seconds or so I’d say?

Kelly
    Posted On July 8, 2013 at 12:03 pm

I found this post via Pinterest which was great–I used to live in Austin, I love tacos at any meal, and I’m moving to an area near Nashville. I can’t wait to explore your blog more!

Posted On July 9, 2013 at 11:49 am

I heart Mexican food and I just happen to have some tortillas and leftover adobe grilled chicken and corn salsa in the fridge, thanks for inspiring me to eat it for breakfast rather than lunch!

Posted On July 9, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I miss my breakfast tacos fix. I remember having this for breakfast for a week! Tacos make me crazy. Good thing I have most of your ingredients bar the eggs. I want to make one right now. Thank you for this very inspired breakfast taco recipe!

Posted On July 9, 2013 at 10:30 pm

Tacos are the perfect food – Austin’s food scene was insane in the taco department – and I still didn’t get enough of them. I would happily take one (fine, four) of these to help get me through the withdrawl.

Posted On July 11, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Tacos for breakfast would actually get me out of bed on time! I’m bookmarking this now and maybe it’ll help me eat well and be on time tomorrow! :D

Posted On July 18, 2013 at 10:02 am

These are so perfect, I wish I had them when I woke up this morning! Breakfast tacos are definitely in my top 5 favorite morning dishes :)

egoiste
    Posted On July 28, 2013 at 1:28 am

I’m a native Texan, so the idea that people not from Texas would go gaga over the concept is so unreal to me. I’ve lived in Austin for 26 years and I have to laugh every time I see the yearly OMG TACOS articles from the NYTimes and such on how to do SXSW (music festival) right.
    as a sidenote, the people from Mundo de Mando have created a book/cookbook for people just like y’all who love a good taco.
    PS: we do not just eat them for breafkast, y’all =]
    Austin Breakfast Tacos: The Story of the Most Important Taco of the Day