Guest Post: Cherry Strawberry Jam by Lisa of Authentic Suburban Gourmet

One more guest post for y’all. This one is by the lovely Lisa of Authentic Suburban Gourmet. I’ve introduced you to Lisa before, when I made her fabulous Brussels sprouts with prosciutto and pecans. Lisa and I were paired together during last year’s Adopt a Blogger. And can I say how far she is come in the past year? Her photos are gorgeous, and her original recipes are incredible. I’m honored she agreed to do a guest post for you today! Enjoy!

Cherry Strawberry Jam

I was honored when I received an email from Lindsay inquiring if I would like to contribute to her blog by way of a guest post. I was quite elated to respond with an immediate YES!

I met Lindsay virtually approximately a year and half ago through a fantastic program called Adopt-a-food blogger. The idea is to pair a “newbie” with a “veteran” food blogger so the veteran can share words of wisdom and the newbie has a mentor to guide them to the next level. From the moment that we began to exchange emails, I knew I was paired with the perfect person.

Cherry Strawberry Jam

I am sure that each of you already knows how special and talented Lindsay is by way of her beautiful blog. Whenever I have reached out to her, she has shared great tips, suggestions and support. She encouraged me to persevere, be patient, learn as much as I can and make connections with fellow food bloggers.

Thus far, it has been a wonderful and fun journey. I have learned that if you have a true passion for something, you will succeed. Making true connections with people brings much joy via the web or in person. Being authentic and true to who you really are, is the essence of blogging. Find your “voice” and writing style makes all the difference. Learning photography and photo editing is essential to food blogging. We tend to eat with our eyes first. Finally, embrace social media as it will open up a new world to you and introduce you to new people and experiences.

Cherry Strawberry Jam

I have a true passion for food, wine and entertaining. About a year ago, I accomplished one of my bucket list items. It was to learn how to can. My entrée into the canning world was dill pickles. My addiction has now formed and I love giving them as gifts. With the strawberry season in full swing, I have already made Strawberry Lavender Jam, Strawberry Balsamic Jam, Strawberry Lemon Jam and Cherry Strawberry Jam. Thought I would share with all of you my recipe for Cherry Strawberry Jam. Enjoy!

Cherry Strawberry Jam

Yield: 10 half-pint jars

1 lb. Strawberries, hulled and halved
4 Lb. Cherries, pit removed and cut in half
2 C. Sugar
1/4 C. Fresh lemon juice
1 packet of pectin

In a large non-reactive pan add the strawberries, cherries and sugar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours.

Have ready hot, sterilized jars and their lids. You can sterilize by placing in a 225 degree oven on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes or sterilize in hot water or the dishwasher. Place 2 or 3 small plates in the freezer.

Add the lemon juice and pectin to the pot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, reduce the heat to medium, and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Use 1 tsp jam and a chilled plate to test if the jam is ready. The mixture is ready if it wrinkles when nudged gently with a finger. If it doesn’t, continue to cook for a few minutes longer and retest.

Ladle the hot jam into the jars, leaving ¼ inch of headspace. Remove any air bubbles and adjust the headspace, if needed. Wipe the rims clean and seal tightly with the lids.

Process the jars for 10 minutes in boiling water bath. Remove and let cool on a towel. The lids will pop and that means they are sealed. To test, simply press down on the lid and if no popping happens, they are sealed. Tighten the lids and store in a dark, cool location.

Recipe by Lisa of Authentic Suburban Gourmet

Christine Lambert
    Posted On June 6, 2011 at 11:53 am

I loved this post! So excited to try this fabulous recipe, she has made it so streamline. I’d never thought to sterilize in the oven, but it makes perfect sense. Sterilizing is what has always kept me from making jams and jellies it was always such a pain. My family loves the wonderful taste of summer that cherries and strawberries bring, this is a fabulous way for them to enjoy them all year long. I will check Lisa’s food blog as well for other ideas and recipes. I can hardly wait till this weekend to make this wonderful recipe.
    Thanks again, have a delicious week!

Posted On June 6, 2011 at 11:57 am

This looks fantastic. These would make great summer gifts. I love giving foodie gifts and refuse to give gifts that contain ingredients I don’t like to eat myself (::cough:: high fructose corn syrup). Naturally made jams can be quite expensive to buy though. I did a quick calculation, this is definitely a money saver! Thanks!

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 6:43 am

Mhhhhhh

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 9:34 am

The jam looks terrific! Definitely a keeper.

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 9:52 am

This jam look amazingly delicious..perfect really! Congrats on the guest post, it is always fun to meet new bloggers(new to me LOL!)
    Wonderful post!

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 11:11 am

We’ve been using cherries in our savory sauces lately for pork and duck. I think it’s time to talk this one step further and make jam. I agree with Christine that the sterilization part for the jars have kept me from being more involved in preserving, but this looks so simple.

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 1:16 pm

Those cherries look amazing!

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm

Hi Lindsay – great guest poster!
    Hi Lisa – canning on your bucket list? You slay me.

Everything looks gorgeous ladies!
    LL

Posted On June 7, 2011 at 11:58 pm

Looks soooo yummy and great photos! I always love food photo and I’m in love with yours..!!

Posted On June 8, 2011 at 3:08 am

Lisa, nothing can compare to homemade jam. My mum loves cherries. This will be a great gift for her next birthday. Bookmarked the recipe. Thanks.

Posted On June 8, 2011 at 8:27 am

So beautiful! Cherries are to come in season around me with the next 2 weeks, and I can’t wait! Hopefully I can catch the tail end of strawberry season to put these two together.

Posted On June 8, 2011 at 9:16 am

What a beautiful post, Lindsey! Always nice to hear a fresh voice. Eat Boutique hopes you come back to show us some canning tricks.

Posted On June 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Oh I love the color, the flavor, the simplicity… I want to make this right now!!

Posted On June 9, 2011 at 6:13 am

Oh my goodness this looks amazing. I am excited to try this because I love cherries!!

Keri
    Posted On June 11, 2011 at 1:49 pm

I love those Anthrolpolgie baskets!!

Posted On June 12, 2011 at 6:42 pm

What an amazing recipe! Great color, great pictures!

Posted On June 13, 2011 at 3:25 am

This jam sounds and looks wonderful! I can’t wait to try it and check out more of your blog!

Posted On June 13, 2011 at 12:33 pm

What a beautiful post – very interesting to hear about your adopt a food blogger- story! And the jam looks real nice and juicy!

Posted On June 14, 2011 at 4:52 am

Beautiful guest post…thank you for introducing me to Lisa! I adore the photos of the cherries and this jam looks spectacular.

Posted On June 16, 2011 at 10:55 am

I’m a cherry addict. I can’t get enough of those little gems. Anyway, this convinced me I really do need to get a cherry pitter. That’s the only way I’ll be able to make something this scrumptious. – Ellyn Deuink

Posted On June 19, 2011 at 11:04 am

He publicado tu entrada en Mis Favoritos de esta semana, puedes verla aquí (algunos ya la habeis visto…)
    Muchas gracias

Janet
    Posted On July 12, 2011 at 7:30 am

I made this into a fruit spread using Pomona’s universal pectin. Great, fresh taste! Thanks for the idea. I’m very interested in your strawberry lavender jam you mentioned. Any chance you’d share that recipe too?

Posted On March 21, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I like this! thanks for share