DIY Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

Kumquats on Homemade DIY Distressed Wood Background

I love using texture in my photos. Whether it be a rough burlap fabric or a distressed piece of wood, it adds so much depth and character to an image. And for those of us who aren’t blessed with a beautiful rustic wood tabletop, we have to resort to drastic measures.

Or not so drastic ones.

My first attempt at a distressed wood background involved getting a long piece of beadboard cut into 2′ lengths, gluing them together, and then painting it white. It worked, but I didn’t love the double grooves of the beadboard. They were too strong and took away focus from the subject. I wanted something a bit more subtle.

On our next trip to the home improvement store, I scoped out some better materials. Lucky for us we went to a different store than our regular one, and there I found some “Pine Board Scants” or “Craft Boards” (signs were conflicting – I don’t know what they were actually called). Basically, it is a 3 1/2″ wide board like normal lumber, but it is only 1/4″ thick. And since my puny little arms are going to have to lift this thing on a regular basis, thinner boards were exactly what I was looking for. They had a variety of different widths, so you could get wider or thinner boards based on your preference. I found these particular boards at Lowes. Home Depot (at least the one we usually go to) didn’t have anything comparable.

This same process can definitely be done with standard 3/4″ thick wood, but your final product will be a lot more bulky, especially if you do the double layer for a reversible background.

How to Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

For this specific background you will need twelve 3.5″ wide, 2′ long boards, plus two 2.5″ wide boards to make a perfect square. Arrange half of the boards in one direction, and tape in place. I wanted a very small but still distinguishable gap between the boards, the tape helped keep it in place while I glued.

How to Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

Next, lay the other half of the boards in the opposite direction, gluing in place with wood glue, carefully positioning boards so the gaps are to your liking. Careful not to put too much glue, you don’t want it to ooze through the gabs (or, er, glue it to your floor…)

When the boards are glued in place, put a flat, heavy weight (like an upside down coffee table or a whole lot of books) on top and let dry overnight. You could also use wood clamps if you have them, but basically you just want something that will hold the pieces firmly together until the glue is dry.

How to Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

Now it’s ready to paint!

For my paint, I simply picked up a few sample containers of paint. $2/a piece, and more than enough paint to cover my little 2×2′ background. One sort of a medium greenish brown color (called Truffle), white, and then two shades of turquoise. My plan was to make use of both sides of the board, have one painted basic white, and the other a pretty bright turquoise.

How to Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

I wanted the wood to look old, not new. Old wood is dark, and I wanted some of that darkness to show through.

Start by watering down your brown paint. I used probably 50/50 water to paint. But I suggest (and this is what I did) testing your finishes first. I started with the end board, since I knew it wouldn’t show too much in the photographs, and then when I was happy with that finish I repeated the same process for the rest of the board.

Water down your paint, and then brush a coat onto each board, one a time. You want full coverage with this layer. Then take a cloth or paper towel and, while the paint is still wet, wipe it off. This will make the paint act more like a stain than a paint. You can see that the overall color is darker, but the wood grain still shows through. Let this layer dry completely before continuing (or if you’re impatient like me, grab the hair dryer).

How to Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

Next, time for color. I decided to use two shades of turquoise for added depth. I started with the darker one. Using a fairly dry brush, lightly brush on the color. You don’t want a ton of paint on your brush; spotty coverage and missed spots are good. Brush strokes are good. Rough is good. Move quickly, and don’t overthink it. You can always add more paint, but you can’t take it off. Again, let this layer dry completely.

How to Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

You can then add the second shade if you have one. I used a lighter turquoise, and you can see the difference between the 1st coat and the second. Similar technique, again, you don’t want a solid coat, you want some of that dark brown wood and the darker turquoise underneath to show through.

When all was done and dry, my board had a bit too much sheen to it (samples only came in satin, not eggshell or flat). Easy fix, I just took some fine grain sandpaper to it to dull and further roughen the finish. You can see the final result in the kumquat picture above.

DIY Distressed Wood Photo Backdrop

Initially, the plan was to repeat the same process on the back but paint it white. But I was kind of digging the dark stain all by itself, and decided to leave it that way… at least for now. Who knows, I may come back later and continue with the white. Or I may just make a second one altogether.

And there you have it! For about $40, you have a portable, reversible wood backdrop for your photos! Spiffy!

(On a related note, for those of you interested in food photography, you must must MUST check out the new book, Plate to Pixel, by Helene Dujardin of Tartelette. I was lucky enough to meet Helene last month in Orlando, and she is as lovely in person as she seems on her blog. Plate to Pixel is full of uber-helpful information, whether you are just starting out with food photography or already comfortable behind the lens. Do it!)

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 2:56 pm

You were already my hero because of all the design work you’ve done for me Lindsay but now you are even more of one! I am obsessed with “making” different wood photo backdrops- I spend way too much time at Lowes and my collection of planks with different stains and such is growing…but this distressing thing is something I’ve tried but without success so far. I am totally trying your method this weekend. THANK YOU!

• Posted On April 28, 2011 at 3:00 pm

The biggest question is – where do I put all this wood?! I totally don’t have any storage space for this stuff, but that doesn’t stop me from making it! :)

Let me know how it turns out!!

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 3:05 pm

We build stuff all the time at my house, so why this has never occurred to me is, well, beyond me. I have tons of left over bead board and other wood scraps, so I’m going to make several of these. Right now, my food pictures are more lame documentation rather than prettiness. I think this is a step in the right direction! Thanks!

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 3:19 pm

What a great post!! Love this! Thanks :)

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 3:22 pm

Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve been wanting to make something like this for a long time, but other tutorials I read seemed too complicated or expensive. Your way sounds super easy! I’m going to head to Lowes tomorrow so I can do this over the weekend.

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 3:24 pm

Check these guys out:

They have a ton of really great textures, all on vinyl. I was skeptical until we ordered some, they look really good!

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Lindsay,
    Wow! You have hit the nail on the head (sorry, I had to) with this one! Awesome info. I think meeting Helene rubbed off a little bit on all of us at FBF. Thanks for this timely (for me anyway) post. Kumquats never looked so good. Thank you.

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm

The results are a gorgeous photo!

-Brenda

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 5:00 pm

Thanks for the great advice. I am sure my husband won’t mind at all running to the hardware store with me this weekend . I will also convince him to build the board for me (pssst, don’t tell).

Jim T
    Posted On April 28, 2011 at 6:04 pm

Excellent demo and great idea. This actually wouldn’t take up too much space, since I’m guessing they can be stacked or stored vertically. And you can use both sides which is a huge plus.

Now I just have to ask: why didn’t you start with a gorgeous lime green one? (wink)

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Thanks so much for this lesson. I don’t have enough backdrops and my kitchen table / counter gets kind of boring. The trickiest thing is figuring out where to store all these things! But I love that this isn’t too bulky. I bet I could slide it in somewhere.

margie/mom
    Posted On April 28, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I’m thinking about your storage challenge. How about those tall skinny shelves that display library books? You could turn the display/storage into a patchwork quilt like collection of your wood squares, a new kind of art ????

Posted On April 28, 2011 at 10:30 pm

That looks amazing!! I’ve been trying to find different things to put in my office and kitchen. Will have to hit the hardware store this weekend…

Wayne
    Posted On April 28, 2011 at 10:46 pm

Congratulations on taking such good care of your brushes

La Chapstick Fanatique
    Posted On April 29, 2011 at 5:36 am

I was actually just thinking about doing this. I am glad you posted this! Thanks!

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 7:10 am

wow, this is impressive! I thought it was one of those backdrops you can buy (vinyl) but love that it’s the real thing! you did an awesome job!

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

I love it! I live in a small apartment and I have been trying to figure out how to get a nice background for when I take pictures of my final product, I never thought I would be able to make it! It is small enough that I can find a nook somewhere to keep it, like under the couch (you get creative when you don’t have a lot of space)! Thank you so much for this awesome idea!

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

Really cool! Thanks for the hot tip.

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 11:47 am

what a great idea! I just may have to try it!

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

How wonderful, Lindsey! I picked up a couple of pieces of square plywood from my dad’s wood-working studio recently but I’ve not taken the time to figure out how to paint and distress them. Your post came at the perfect time. I love the color of the distressed turquoise wood. It’s lovely – and so is the kumquat photo!

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 5:00 pm

What an awesome idea! I’ve been using plain wooden cutting boards from Ikea whenever I wanted a wood backdrop, but I didn’t want to stain or distress them because they’re actually used as cutting boards the rest of the time.
    I figured I’d start scrounging around in secondhand and antique stores, but this sounds a lot easier (plus I can pick my own colours). I’ll be rushing to Home Depot this weekend to grab some boards!
    Love that shade of aqua blue, BTW. It’s just gorgeous.

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I’ve been wanting to make this! Thanks for the lovely photo tutorial!! :-)

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 5:55 pm

Nice color. And that is one purty picture!

Posted On April 29, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Seriously Lindsay, you are awesome.

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 6:11 am

I found this via David Lebovitz on fb- just in the nick of time. I’m a potter and my blue linen backdrop has suffered the ill effects of living in my deep south (read: humid) basement for the past four years. Time for a replacement. Now I know just what to do, and have the scrap wood to do it. Thank you!

Mary
    Posted On April 30, 2011 at 7:20 am

I second this company
    wayyyyyy easier than building something and I too was skeptical of vinyl but these products swayed me.

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 7:31 am

Love the turquoise color you used… so pretty! Can you believe that the post office LOST my Plate to pixel book?!?!? I’m soooo mad at them! I been waiting for it for so long.. and was so happy when amazon send me a note that it was AHEAD of schedule.. not I have to wait for it again!

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 9:34 am

Very inspirational! Thank you for the tips!

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 9:39 am

Great DIY tutorial…I’ve have been wanting to do this and just needed the extra help. Your information is PERFECT! Thank you!

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

Thanks for posting this – it looks easy and I’m dying for some new textures – I’ll be hitting Lowes next weekend to try it out

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 2:06 pm

What a great diy project with a step by step how to. Soon you’ll see all your fellow bloggers using this simple easy trick! Thanks for sharing such a lovely idea.

Posted On April 30, 2011 at 7:45 pm

I need to create a few backdrops! Thanks for the step by step post!

Posted On May 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Love the orange with the teal! I so want to make one right now…such a great tutorial!

Posted On May 2, 2011 at 3:16 am

Nicely done!

Posted On May 2, 2011 at 10:48 am

Great job!

Posted On May 2, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Thanks for the brilliant idea. I need more interesting backdrops for my pictures

Posted On May 3, 2011 at 4:34 pm

Loving that cheerful aqua version — so pretty! I just made one with some old fence boards but will clearly have to think about some color. Great tutorial!

Posted On May 3, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Wow, great tutorial! I’ve been looking in vintage shops for old tabletops, but this is way better and more portable. Thanks for sharing with us. :)

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 1:10 am

Great tutorial Linds! I just put in my order the other day for Helene’s book! Can’t wait to get my hands on it now! :-)

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Love it! My husband is a sales rep for a hardwood flooring company, so he’s been scavenging old re-claimed wood scraps – can’t even wait to have a new backdrop for my photos! :)

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 3:20 pm

What a great idea! I love this, and love the idea of contrasting textures in photos. It definitely makes a difference.

Posted On May 5, 2011 at 5:50 pm

I love this. I actually have some wood in my garage ready to paint. But I’ll have to do the reversible boards too. It’s just finding the time to do it all!

Posted On May 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Love this! What colors did you use??? I would love to make one of my own in these same colors!!

Thanks!
    Lolly

Posted On May 7, 2011 at 3:31 pm

Okay, I did it! Thank you for this awesome tutorial. I used the white version in my most recent photos of my Lemon Filled Lavender Cupcakes. I would love to know what you think!

• Posted On May 10, 2011 at 7:12 am

Looks awesome!!

Julia
    Posted On May 8, 2011 at 10:49 am

Love this idea! I have one little tip though, if you truly want to make something like this seem ‘old’ – sand it before you paint it. The chatter marks from the milling process (the tiny grooves that run across each board) make it obvious that it’s new to those in the know. :)

• Posted On May 10, 2011 at 7:13 am

Thanks for the tip, Julia! I just got materials to make a second and will definitely sand it down a bit before painting. :)

Posted On May 9, 2011 at 6:06 pm

I got so excited when I saw this post! I went to lowes today and got the boards. They are called “craft boards” and cone in a few different kinds of wood, but I liked the grain on the pine the best. The glue is drying on the boards as i type this!

Posted On May 10, 2011 at 1:10 pm

For a total beginner like me, this post is incredibly useful! I often feel like there’s so much mystique around food photography techniques – almost as if no one wants to give away their secrets. Thanks for making your gorgeous photography accessible to a newbie like me!

Posted On May 11, 2011 at 4:41 pm

Nice tutorial! I have been wanting some boards of wood like this.

Posted On May 13, 2011 at 2:11 pm

Great post! One tip I have for creating spaces is to use pennies. They are the perfect width for uniform spaces.

Posted On May 20, 2011 at 11:00 am

Love it! Thanks for such a great idea. Makes me want to grab that old door in my garage and use it!

Posted On May 26, 2011 at 7:09 am

Thank you for this tutorial … I was desperate, reading here and there that you could not achieve such a look on pine wood. You save me !
    I received my copy of “plate to pixel” only two days ago and I think it’s an awesome book !

Posted On June 11, 2011 at 12:06 pm

I want to learn about Helene’s lighting technique! Wonderful post.

Posted On June 15, 2011 at 4:55 pm

Awesome tutorial. I was wondering how to get the wood distressed look. Your step by step really helped!

Posted On July 26, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Wow!!!! Loved it! Thanks so much for sharing!

Erin
    Posted On August 11, 2011 at 1:05 am

Just loved this, I’m so into turquoise right now. What are the paint names that you used?

Lauren L
    Posted On August 17, 2011 at 2:50 pm

me too, I wanna know the paint colors!!

Posted On October 14, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Brilliant! I love this idea. I’m definitely going to do it myself! Someone also gave me a great idea for backgrounds– get some fabric you like and stretch it across white foam core. You can just tape it with packing tape to the back. Bingo! Lightweight patterned background!

Posted On October 31, 2011 at 2:55 pm

Thank you so much for posting this. I’m working on my own version today and using a blueish wood stain. We’ll see how it turns out . . .

Posted On January 6, 2012 at 8:49 am

I have been wanting to find this post again for ages – but could not remember who’s blog it was on. Just pinned so now I have it forever. Now I need to make more boards :) Thanks!

Posted On January 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

Hi Lindsay,
    I followed your guide and made my own wood tabletop…I love it! Thank you sor sharing!

Roberta

Posted On February 26, 2012 at 7:56 am

Great idea, thank you for sharing! :) I can’t wait to make mine.

Becky
    Posted On February 26, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I just tried this over the weekend and it works like a gem! Instead of the brown, I used a black and just watered it down a little more! It looks amazing! Thanks for the awesome tip!

Ellen
    Posted On March 1, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Could you share exactly what shades of turquoise you used for the distressed wood, and the brand of paint?

Posted On March 20, 2012 at 1:28 pm

love, love this idea! I’m updating my shop look soon, and can’t wait to use this! I so love that it’ll be small, light and easy to store! Thanks for sharing! :)

Posted On June 3, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Julie directed me here when I asked on Instagram is someone had blogged this. Thanks for all the helpful tips…I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time. :)

Posted On June 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Hello,
    Starting on this project, and I found wood flooring that was about 3ft and 1/4 thick that has those lines, but also grooves so it clicks together. About $11 for a pack and all you have to do is use the wood glue in the grove. You don’t have glue another set on top of it! Woo hoo, even thinner, cheaper and more portable. Triple score. Thanks for this great post.

Adrianne Offermann
    Posted On June 24, 2012 at 9:53 pm

Do you have any suggestions on how to do this similar treatment, but on a piece that already has a finish on it? I want to do this to my shelves I picked up at Goodwill, but they already have a finish on them. Is there a way to do it short of sanding the whole thing down?

Posted On June 27, 2012 at 12:45 am

What a great idea – thanks for sharing. I’m going to try this for a new background for my jewellery photos. At the moment I’m using a white unpainted canvas, ut this will take my photo’s up a notch!

Judy
    Posted On August 5, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Thanks for this!!! I just made one this weekend and it turned out gorgeous. Loved your instructions for the “stain;” I’d have never thought of that :)

Posted On August 10, 2012 at 12:02 pm

This is fab! That blue you used is my favorite color. I will be doing this next week!

I love your blog, I love the name, and before I made it here I was a fan because of your website design with Purr. I was so surprised when I found out Purr and this blog were the same folks!

best,
    AG
    prettybluerose.com

Posted On September 24, 2012 at 3:03 pm

This weekend, I’ll absolutely be doing this. Thanks for a great tutorial!

Jaidy
    Posted On October 24, 2012 at 5:59 pm

Hi thanks for the tutorial. Please could you tell me the name of the fruit that you used in this picture?! Looks delicious!!! Thanks!!

Lillie
    Posted On November 9, 2012 at 8:43 pm

what color or name of color for turquoise

Kendra
    Posted On January 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

I took this tutorial, made a red one and used it for my photos, THEN we were setting the table for Thanksgiving and my friend saw it and grabbed it for the base under the certerpiece. I LOVE it, I’m making more. Thank you

• Polly
      Posted On May 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

What is the color name/brand? Looks like a Valspar brand.

Posted On January 22, 2013 at 1:42 pm

Love that brown stain effect! What brand of paint is it? You said it’s called “Truffle”? Thanks!

Kyle
    Posted On January 24, 2013 at 1:40 pm

What are the paint color names?

Posted On February 22, 2013 at 11:26 pm

Wow,

I have been driving DH nuts about how to figure this one out! ANd your post came just in time..I am sick of my counter top and I ve been drooling at rustic wooden tables particularly in the color you`ve showcased.. COuld you please add the name/number of the paints that u bot from Lowes. We have never painted and I need to start from scratch. IAlso what is that glue?
    Thanks

Shobha

Posted On May 18, 2013 at 4:26 pm

This is great content. I struggle with food photography and just recently realized I need to make it easier for myself and get some props and backgrounds done and ready to go when I am ready to take photos. This will save me a lot of time. Thanks for sharing.

Posted On August 4, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Thanks for this tutorial! Found it through Pinch of Yum’s Tasty Food Photography e-book. I look forward to creating several of these for future projects!

Posted On November 21, 2013 at 1:08 am

Thanks! I enjoyed the DIY. I’ve got a granite countertop and it’s hard to get get good shots because of all the shine.

Posted On December 13, 2013 at 8:15 am

I think in order to achieve similar results as in this tutorial. You need to be really experienced craftsman. I’ve tried it look bad.

Posted On December 26, 2013 at 1:00 pm

This is exactly what I was looking for! I’m doing this over the weekend! Thanks for the tutorial!

Posted On January 2, 2014 at 11:34 pm

I love that you made it reversible! What a clever idea! I just made my first wooden backdrop to add texture to my photos… Here is my step by step picture tutorial: http://www.recipris.com/2014/01/01/diy-white-wood-photo-backdrop/

I’m definitely going to try making another one though… I really like the simple stained board you created on the other side of the blue! Looks just like a picnic table :)

Posted On May 17, 2014 at 6:27 pm

I am so glad I found this post. I used your tutorial as the guide for making my own food photography board. I did dark wood as one side and grey as the other. I love how they turned out. Now, I am about to rip apart free pallets and make some boards out of those. Thank you so much for sharing this.

If you would like to see how my board turned out (I did credit you for the idea!): http://yumeating.com/diy-distressed-wood-photography-prop/

Posted On June 30, 2014 at 1:08 pm

Lovely ideas and thanks for wonderful tips !! I’m going to try this for a new background for my food photography.
    - Thanks

Posted On July 22, 2014 at 7:33 am

I’ve been struggling with finding good backdrops for months now. I have two staples, but dying for more. Love this DIY tutorial, there’s a trip to Home Depot in my future!