Sugar and spice and everything nice: that’s what these cookies are made of.
I’ve really been in a cookie kind of mood lately, what with all the hubbub about cookie swaps and whatnot, and these dark and delightfully chewy chocolate cookies are everything I’ve been craving.
And then some.
The cookie itself is ideal: dark and sultry, soft and chewy, they fall somewhere between a classic chocolate chip cookie and a decadent brownie. Chocolate with more chocolate just for good measure. But like the Britney Spears of cookies, they’re not that innocent.
Here’s the kicker: a kick of smokey chipotle. Not enough heat to kick you to the ground, but it couldn’t hurt to have a glass of milk handy. Just for kicks.
You might have to
pinch kick me because I think I’m dreaming.
Double Chocolate Chipotle Cookies
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup dark or Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground chipotle chile powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, chipotle, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter, brown sugar, and sugar until it is the consistency of wet sand and no chunks of butter are visible. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Mix in vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients, mixing on low speed until incorporated. Stir in mini chocolate chips.
- Drop dough by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet, leaving an inch or two of space between them. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until centers are set. Let cool for 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely. Store cooled cookies in an airtight container for up to 3 days.